The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Team huddles

I am still new so I get a lot of sub-varsity games, I like sub-varsity games except for these little mini timeouts the girls are stealing from me. After every point (for or against) the team gets together in the middle of their court and celebrates or moans. Then when they break these little huddles it takes another few seconds to sort out who is the next server, or where they should be stationed. I have tried to quickly call for service to try and break these meetings up, but how can you call for service if the server doesn't have the ball? Last night I had two teams that both did this after every point and the game was clearly longer than when neither team huddled. What can I do to speed things along?

Bugg
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

RE: team huddles

Call the captains over to the stand when this occurs and give them a verbal warning, that they need to hurry with their cheers and get ready to serve or receive more quickly, tell them that if they continue to take too long after each rally, you will assess them with a team delay which will cost them a point/loss of rally. That should fix the problem. I suggest that you do it early in the game when it first begins to happen, that will save you some time.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvolleyball
Call the captains over to the stand when this occurs and give them a verbal warning, that they need to hurry with their cheers and get ready to serve or receive more quickly, tell them that if they continue to take too long after each rally, you will assess them with a team delay which will cost them a point/loss of rally. That should fix the problem. I suggest that you do it early in the game when it first begins to happen, that will save you some time.
Um...no.

Unnecessary delay is a time out. There is only a loss of rally if the team is out of time outs.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

True Felix. I meant to say can instead of will. Thanks for the correction.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Um what happens when you rush them and one of the teams is in the wrong line up? Charge them with out of rotation?

You know the game can go as slow as the referee deems it necessary to make clear impartial calls, but speeding things up? I know that these team cheers on every point is taxing on time, and some cheers are just too long. It's just the same as when is ball is out of play and like no one goes to fetch it. If they do, they walk like a turtle over there to get it. Plus that person who's tying their shoelace like for ever and ever.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 10:17am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Move them along!

Keep a comfortable pace. No one came to watch them do cheers, they came to watch them play volleyball, so if they keep huddling after every point, first - tell them the next time it happens they will be assessed an Unnecessary Delay Time-Out. If it happens again, same thing. If it happens a third time, it will be Unnecessary Delay and they will be penalized a loss of rally/point since they no longer have any time-outs available.

The other option is, if the serving team is ready and the receiving team is delaying getting out of their little "huddle", blow the whistle and call for the serve. If the receiving team complains, simply tell them that they are delaying the game and the whistle will be blown for serve when the serving team is ready to go (unless there is a substitution or time-out taking place at the moment).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Omnispiker - It's not a case of rushing them, just getting them to be ready to resume play in a timely manner. As Jan said, warn them first, then use the UD with appropriate penalty if it happens again.

In the absence of a substitution, time out or a justifiable extenuating circumstance, when the server is ready to go I'll blow the whistle for serve - if they're out of alignment at contact for serve, then penalize appropriately. Usually the warning to the captains will do the job, but if it doesn't it rarely takes more than one penalty to drive the point home.

Any one else notice the NFHS site appears to be down? The forums aren't accessible and some of the other features don't appear to be working. The home page has a different look than it did a couple days ago....perhaps they're doing some changes.........
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 04:19pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
NFHS Site Upgrade

Toolman, the NFHS is upgrading their website. According to what they have posted (and you have to do a diligent search to find the information), the Discussion Forum will be back up and running on Monday, September 18.

CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)