The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was officiating 7/8 matches last night. During the 7th grade match, which I was umpiring, there was a hard hit serve that went directly to the CB on the receiving team. She had her arms out to attempt a bump, but instead the ball smacked her directly in the head then rebounded off her arms and was saved by one of her teammates. The referee let the play go on and we discussed it after the match. We know that it's legal for there to be a double hit if it was on the same attempt, but would this be considered one attempt?

Also, while I was refereeing the 8th grade match (at a school where I had never officiated previously), both sides were more than a little perturbed that I actually called 3 illegal hits during the course of the match. After the first one I heard one of the coaches say "Everything should go"...since I called it on his team. He didn't complain about the next two illegal hits I called on the other team. My partner (who officiates regularly at that school) and I had discussed it prior to the match and he said that he doesn't like to make illegal hit calls, yet I feel that by the time they're in 8th grade the players should start getting a feel for what is legal and what is not legal. I could have called probably 100 illegal hits but I only called those that I felt were blatant redirects and those that had very prolonged contact.

Anybody have any thoughts on what to call and what not to call for these lower level matches? I am working another 7/8 match tomorrow and I've seen one of the teams play before. Their 8th grade coach has two tall girls on her team that she never rotates out...when they're on the back row they stay directly behind the front row player and switch immediately. So even when they're in the back row they are at the net blocking and attacking. I never saw them called for illegal blocks or back row attacks. I would be inclined to call it every time I saw it.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 04:42pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Bob, the key in the situation from the 7th grade match that you describe is whether the player made two attempts to play the ball or if the contacts could be ruled as two attempts to play the ball. In all liklihood, this was not two attempts to play the ball since I am sure that the CB was not intending to play the ball with her head (unless she also happens to be a soccer player)! I would consider it as legal mutiple contacts on the first ball over.

As far as the coaches not liking you calling 3 illegal hits, ignore them! Your job is to call the match fairly and impartially so that the players have the opportunity to play to the best of their ability. If you do not call the blatant illegal contacts, those players are going to go into high school next year thinking that they can do the exact same thing and, then, they are going to get a very rude awakening.

Of course, no one came to watch you blow your whistle, they came to see the kids play the match. So, in this instance, you set your standard by the team with the better execution and let the chips fall where they may. I have had a couple of freshman matches this fall where the coach was appreciative that I was calling them for illegal contacts as well as being out of alignment - it is the only way that they will learn what is legal and what is not.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

I'll second what Jan said - to not call the illegal hits does a disservice to the players by reinforcing bad habits that they will not get away with when they hit high school.

As to the BRB/BRA question, if the illegal action is giving that team an advantage, I'd go ahead and call it - but be ready to briefly explain it, as there is an extremely good chance the coach won't have clue what you're talking about. Heck, I called an over the net in a HS JV tournament last weekend & had to explain that rule to the coach.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Usually at the lower levels, I find a standard that allows play to continue for the most part, while calling what "needs" to be called. A horrible non-first-contact double needs to be called, because of the advantage gained and because you can't reward something blatantly illegal. You wouldn't allow them to grab the net while blocking, would you?

As far as the BRA/BRB situation goes, if you see it, call it. I don't allow much leeway for stuff like that, because what happens if the first time they get called on that, it's postseason? I'd much rather introduce them to the correct rules while they can still fix the problem.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMadera
Usually at the lower levels, I find a standard that allows play to continue for the most part, while calling what "needs" to be called. A horrible non-first-contact double needs to be called, because of the advantage gained and because you can't reward something blatantly illegal. You wouldn't allow them to grab the net while blocking, would you?
Agreed Felix, I think most of us take that approach - at least I hope we do.......

I'll freely admit that even at FR & JV levels, my tolerance window is wider than at V. Sometimes the balance is hard to find, but with my limited experience I find that trying to call to the level of the better of the two teams in the match usually works pretty well.

[Edited by TimTaylor on Sep 29th, 2005 at 01:02 PM]
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TimTaylor
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by FMadera
[B]
I'll freely admit that even at FR & JV levels, my tolerance window is wider than at V.
__________________________________________________ _________

Absolutely. I hope we all do it that way.