The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Tonight was test night. I know I passed without a problem, but there were 3 or 4 questions that were worded so badly I couldn't believe it.

I think its time to start lobbying for mandatory drug tests for whoever writes these things...........
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Taking mine Friday. For some reason, they scheduled mine originally for match night during the season. Needless to say, I'm working. So now, I have to go to the IHSA office to take a conflict exam.

Joy...
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

If Part II is anything like part I, you're correct.

I think Virginia is throwing out four questions on Part I because they were either so badly written or just plain ambiguous.

You would think that these and all other NFHS exams would be proofread before they were sent out.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Open Book Exam

These closed book exams are nothing other than a temporary period for officials to cram. They lose retention right after the test and seldom spend the time opening the book again during the season unless something goes wrong and they need to look it up. I know a group that does open book test, take it home over the weekend and dig out the answers without the pressure of cramming. Why do we continue to take these closed book exams, questions written in poor form, and expect good officials to do well on them when they have no bearing on ability?
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Bravo polyad.
I feel that all the NFHS tests should be open book and open mouth.
Officials should use these exam sessions as learning experiences and not have to worry about passing in order to umpire/referee.
The way it is now here in Virginia, you take the test (closed book) a week before the season starts and you don't get the results back for 3-4 weeks. In the meantime, you're applying rules as you answered them on the test which might be incorrect.
We have some great sports officials who work State tournaments who are not good test-takers. We lost the services of one state-caliber referee last year when he failed the exam by one point.
What can we do to get the attention of the National Federation and have them open their eyes to this problem?
Even the NCAA doesn't require closed-book exams.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 04:07pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
vaumpref, in this instance, the problem is not with the NFHS (IMO). Each state determines how the NF tests are going to be administered within their state. The states determine whether it is open or closed book or whether you have to take the test
at all.

For example, Ohio requires those who are just beginning to take the test (closed book) at the end of a volleyball officiating class administered by an OHSAA certified instructor. If a current official wants to advance from a Class 2 to a Class 1, they have to take a closed book test (usually Part II) and a mechanics examination. Otherwise, if you do not want to upgrade from Class 2 to Class 1 or if you are a Class 1 official already, you don't have to take any tests to remain certified.

Out here in California, I have to take the test each year for each high school local association that I am affiliated with. So, since I referee in two sections (North Coast Section and Central Coast Section) and belong to two high school local associations (East Bay Volleyball Officials Association and Fermar/Officials Association Inc.), I have to take the test for both of them to be qualified to referee.

Before I came to CA, I never thought about having to take a test each year other than to retain my college rating. Now, I appreciate having to do it so that I remain up to speed with the rules changes and current techniques. Also, it gets my brain focused on the upcoming season.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

You understand the essence of what my concern is. There is no good reason to have closed book tests. The pressure on those who do not have picture perfect memories is extensive so as to perhaps keep a good officials from officiating. Each time I see a group take these tests, I see officials run around the room after they are graded trying to find out what their colleagues got. This is downright embarrassing! This should be a NFHS policy on the national level to stop this nonsense and offer open book tests where more learning takes place under less sttressful conditions. I can just see the test creators sitting there saying "GOTCHA" when we struggle with a question that can be interpreted three different ways. I keep reading about all the questions that are thrown our for ambiguity! I was a teacher for too many years not to be upset about this.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by polyad
You understand the essence of what my concern is. There is no good reason to have closed book tests. The pressure on those who do not have picture perfect memories is extensive so as to perhaps keep a good officials from officiating. Each time I see a group take these tests, I see officials run around the room after they are graded trying to find out what their colleagues got. This is downright embarrassing! This should be a NFHS policy on the national level to stop this nonsense and offer open book tests where more learning takes place under less sttressful conditions. I can just see the test creators sitting there saying "GOTCHA" when we struggle with a question that can be interpreted three different ways. I keep reading about all the questions that are thrown our for ambiguity! I was a teacher for too many years not to be upset about this.
I agree. In Oregon, the determination of whether the test is open or closed book is made not by the state association, but by each individual local association for each sport. For example, in the area I live, volleyball is open book, but basketball is closed book.

IMHO, the emphasis is in the wrong place - it should be on encouraging the development of a solid working knowledge of the rules for the sport(s) you officiate, not trying to trick people with vague or misleading test questions. There's no place for the "GOTCHA" approach - its juvenile, unprofessional, and needs to change.

Just as an added note, I know several teachers that are also officials and everyone I have talked to has said they would be embarassed to give a test like these.

Gotta go - doing lines for a college match tonight, should be fun!

Y'all play nice now, yah hear?
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Took the test tonight. Got a 91. While one of the experienced officials was grading my test 6 officials had gathered around the table watching the grading being done on the spot. If I hadn't received a 91, with everyone looking on, I would probably have been too embarrassed to officiate this year. If anyone thinks this is a way to promote learning in VB please let me know. Maybe we can start on a crusade to have NFHS throw out closed book tests. You could have cut the stress in the test room with a butter knife!! and these are adults with experience in sports.