View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by polyad
You understand the essence of what my concern is. There is no good reason to have closed book tests. The pressure on those who do not have picture perfect memories is extensive so as to perhaps keep a good officials from officiating. Each time I see a group take these tests, I see officials run around the room after they are graded trying to find out what their colleagues got. This is downright embarrassing! This should be a NFHS policy on the national level to stop this nonsense and offer open book tests where more learning takes place under less sttressful conditions. I can just see the test creators sitting there saying "GOTCHA" when we struggle with a question that can be interpreted three different ways. I keep reading about all the questions that are thrown our for ambiguity! I was a teacher for too many years not to be upset about this.
I agree. In Oregon, the determination of whether the test is open or closed book is made not by the state association, but by each individual local association for each sport. For example, in the area I live, volleyball is open book, but basketball is closed book.

IMHO, the emphasis is in the wrong place - it should be on encouraging the development of a solid working knowledge of the rules for the sport(s) you officiate, not trying to trick people with vague or misleading test questions. There's no place for the "GOTCHA" approach - its juvenile, unprofessional, and needs to change.

Just as an added note, I know several teachers that are also officials and everyone I have talked to has said they would be embarassed to give a test like these.

Gotta go - doing lines for a college match tonight, should be fun!

Y'all play nice now, yah hear?