View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 04:07pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
vaumpref, in this instance, the problem is not with the NFHS (IMO). Each state determines how the NF tests are going to be administered within their state. The states determine whether it is open or closed book or whether you have to take the test
at all.

For example, Ohio requires those who are just beginning to take the test (closed book) at the end of a volleyball officiating class administered by an OHSAA certified instructor. If a current official wants to advance from a Class 2 to a Class 1, they have to take a closed book test (usually Part II) and a mechanics examination. Otherwise, if you do not want to upgrade from Class 2 to Class 1 or if you are a Class 1 official already, you don't have to take any tests to remain certified.

Out here in California, I have to take the test each year for each high school local association that I am affiliated with. So, since I referee in two sections (North Coast Section and Central Coast Section) and belong to two high school local associations (East Bay Volleyball Officials Association and Fermar/Officials Association Inc.), I have to take the test for both of them to be qualified to referee.

Before I came to CA, I never thought about having to take a test each year other than to retain my college rating. Now, I appreciate having to do it so that I remain up to speed with the rules changes and current techniques. Also, it gets my brain focused on the upcoming season.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)