The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Tim,

Why are you looking for illegal alignment on the serving team?
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMadera
Tim,

Why are you looking for illegal alignment on the serving team?
Felix,

I wasn't looking for it - just happened to catch it & pass it on to the R. It was after a LOR, and as I glanced at the player going back to serve I noticed the CF on the serving team overlapping the LF by 3-4 feet. I made quick eye contact with my R & gave him a discreet letting him know there was a misalignment on the serving team, then took my position to observe the receiving team. He then beckoned for serve, and when the ball was struck for serve, the overlap hadn't been corrected, so he whistled the misalignment. I then simply turned to the coach & told her the CF & LF were out of correct serving order at the time of serve, she nodded in acknowledgement & we moved on.....
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:29pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Good job, Toolman! I was working a scrimmage last week with our assigner and we had four rookie officials watching us work together. I was the referee and, as I checked the receiving team, I saw that the LF had her left foot off the court. I discretely signaled to my partner the illegal alignment and whistled for serve. When the serve was contacted, my partner blew his whistle and I told the coach that #7 was off the court during the serve.

As an umpire, I routinely look at the serving team prior to the referee's beckon for serve so that I am sure that they are in the proper serving order. If they are not, I also signal to my partner that they are out of rotation.

Tim, in the situation that you posted, you could have assessed an Unnecessary Delay Time-Out because she was interfering with the substitution and delaying the game. If she didn't have any T-O's left, it would have cost her team a point (maybe she is just a slow learner or she has done too many years of club ball!!!!) and maybe she would have gotten the idea to stay at the bench to greet her replaced player and instruct her team.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCBear

Tim, in the situation that you posted, you could have assessed an Unnecessary Delay Time-Out because she was interfering with the substitution and delaying the game. If she didn't have any T-O's left, it would have cost her team a point (maybe she is just a slow learner or she has done too many years of club ball!!!!) and maybe she would have gotten the idea to stay at the bench to greet her replaced player and instruct her team.
Jan,

I see your point, & very briefly considered the UD, but it was match point in the final game, her team was down 14-10 & had no timeouts left. Since I had the option, I went with the YC for the minor unsportsmanlike conduct instead. I don't think anyone would want to see a match end that way unless the action was clearly intentional & over the top - let the girls decide it on the court.

In her case, I don't think it was - more like what you suggested...too many years of club ball. After the YC she asked me if that was a new rule this year..... I told her no, that Federation rules don't allow the coach to stand & approach the court to coach the players during the game. I'll bet she remembers it from now on.......
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 01:23pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Tim, let her know that a coach is NOT allowed in the sub zone on any level - NFHS, NCAA or USAV. She is supposed to know that. Tell her to look up USAV rule 21.1.1 and then PLEASE, stay out of the sub zone from now on!!!!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

V game Tuesday night. Somehow the school booked 3 officials by mistake. I did the stand on the JV and sat the V. I was at the end of the table helping a JV player track the libero. Head coach turns to me and asks, "Can I stand up?" I pointed to the R and said, "If you do, he'll make you sit down." Just then he blew the whistle and told about 4 girls on the other team to sit down. She didn't ask again.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCBear
Tim, let her know that a coach is NOT allowed in the sub zone on any level - NFHS, NCAA or USAV. She is supposed to know that. Tell her to look up USAV rule 21.1.1 and then PLEASE, stay out of the sub zone from now on!!!!
Thanks for the info. I knew that was the case for both NFHS & NCAA ..... wasn't sure about USAV......