The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

The girls are wearing their clothes in Ohio in a way that appears to conflict with the NFHS rules and I am curious what other state interpreters have dictated is acceptable.
Please let me know your interpretations on the following:

* Sleeves rolled up and held with rubberband like clips at shoulders;

*Shorts waist bands rolled down so the inside tag in the back is now outside and exposed;

* Shirts tied in a knot in the back and tight around the waist.

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1. If it's tied with something that I would allow in the hair, I don't mind it on the shirt. However, the number needs to be visible without obstruction.

2. The girls seem to like their spandex shorter, for some reason. However, they're still wearing them as intended (just shorter), so I wouldn't/don't mess with it.

3. So long as the number is visible, again, no problem.

Unlike the libero jersey, if you're not sure if it's not legal, it's probably ok.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMadera
1. If it's tied with something that I would allow in the hair, I don't mind it on the shirt. However, the number needs to be visible without obstruction.

2. The girls seem to like their spandex shorter, for some reason. However, they're still wearing them as intended (just shorter), so I wouldn't/don't mess with it.

3. So long as the number is visible, again, no problem.

Unlike the libero jersey, if you're not sure if it's not legal, it's probably ok.
__________________________________________________ _________
Actually, FMadera, I have to question your response to #1 and disgaree with your reply to #3.
In #1 if they are usuing "sleevies" they are not legal equipment because they are not of a made of soft and yielding material. They pose a safety issue while being worn or if they fell off during the game.
In #3 the shirt cannot be tied in a knot. That was a point stressed over and over to us - at least downstate -- last year. They must be worn as intended by the manufacturer. The knot is also considered a safety issue.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1. You could say the same thing about Active Ankles.

3. I've *never* heard that at any rules interp I've been to. Not that I'm doubting you, but I've never heard that.

I think it's kinda stretching in terms of "intention." One could argue that the manufacturers don't "intend" for sleeves to be rolled up, either.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 02:58pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
tony,

#1 - I am guessing that you are talking about the velcro straps that are used to hold the bunched up sleeve. That has been deemed as acceptable by the NFHS rules committee with the provision that the number (if it is in the upper left quadrant of the jersey) must not be obscured so that it is not clearly visible.

#2 - if the girls are rolling the waist band of the shorts down, tell the coach that the players are not wearing their uniform as the manufacturer intended and that it needs to be corrected immediately. We in CA were told last year that if the players want to wear their shorts that way, they are to getthe short that is manufactured that way. They are not to roll their regular uniform shorts down at the waistband to achieve the same thing.

#3 - shirts may NOT be tied in a knot as you describe (as a matter of fact, there is an illustration that has been in the rules PowerPoint for the last two years that shows that this is not allowed). Again, tell the coach to have the players remove the knots from the back of their uniform shirts. This is considered a safety issue and is not negotiable.

Felix, I can't believe that you never saw the slide that was in the presentation last year when the whole uniform issue was a point of emphasis (and, also, in this year's, as a reminder). The players are not allowed to tie the shirts at the back to achieve a tighter fit (or even a reasonable fit in the case of the 4' 8" mighty mite whose shirt is swimming on her!). It is considered a safety issue and we definitely do not want any of those!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

For some reason, they never showed us those slides either last year or this year. Interesting...
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Our association Interpretation is . . .

Sleeveies are OK if small & no metal;

Waist bands rolled down are OK;

Knots are OUT OF THE QUESTION ( probably because it is the not-as-intended-by-manufacturer deal ).

Thank you all for your responses.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FMadera
For some reason, they never showed us those slides either last year or this year. Interesting...
__________________________________________________ _________
FMadera,
I saw it two years in a row on the power point, but I went to rules meetings in Indiana instead of Illinois until this year. I live right on the border and I could drive 41 miles to get to a meeting in Indiana vs. 70+ for an Illinois.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
From oveything I have been taught in VB,B'ball, and Soccer, #2 is definitely NOT okay. We were told the shorts had to be worn the way they were intended and could not be rolled down. I would not allow them to play with them rolled down.
As for the sleevies, velcro is OK.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

#2 NOT okay ??

I would have agreed with you until my association meeting last week. We were told that rolled down waist bands are OK. By the way, I have seen some of the local soccer teams wear their soccer shorts waist bands rolled down. Not all of the players do it, but some have - and the officials have chosen not to " see it " or ignore it.
With soccer or basketball shorts, I can see not wanting this. With all the running and jumping, the baggy shorts would constantly need adjusting or may become unsightly.
In Volleyball, the shorts are so tight that usually once rolled, they stay rolled without further need for adjustment ( at the waist band ).

Just my opinion.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

#2, I have never called, and will never call, rolled waistbands a problem. If you can roll sleeves, you can roll waistbands.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 07:02pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Sorry to disagree, guys, but the rule that uniforms must be worn as the manufacturer intended means that the waist band of the shorts are NOT to be worn rolled down (rolling them down is NOT the way that they were intended to be worn - the players think that they are "cooler" that way or something!!!!).

We were specifically told at our state meetings last year that if the young ladies wish to wear the briefer shorts, they are to have the ones that are manufactured that way. If I see players with the shorts waistband rolled down, I will tell that coach to have the player correct the situation or that player is not going to play because they are in an illegal uniform. I will be a Hard-A** on this one - we are to enforce the uniform rule as it is intended
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta go with MCBear on this one. As for the girls in the soccer uniforms you mentioned, USSF rules makes them wear the sleeves down and will not allow the shorts rolled. There is a protection for girls and for the referee here. These are young girls and usually males referees anywhere from ages 13 - adult. One mistaken comment or misconstrued perception can become a legal nightmare in today's "sue happy" society. Also, lets face it, we don't know how many predators or perverts there are sitting in the stands watching these girls. My son and his friends say that the best thing about volleyball is spandex. They are 16 and typical teenagers. However, there might be some pervert adult in the stands thinking the same thing and rolled down shorts aren't going to help this. When I make her wear her uniform -- in any sport -- "as intended to be worn my the manufacturer" I am protecting myself and maybe her, too.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the rolled down shorts ruling was ever an issue about sexuality. I think it was more an issue of wearing the uniform as it was intended and also to be sure uniforms were safe ( although I don't think rolled waist bands are a safety issue ). If there was a sexual issue to be had concerning predators or 16 year olds, it would be the material of the shorts ( spandex ) and the appearance it gives. But nearly every match I have done in three years has presented the competitors in spandex shorts, and I see it continuing. It apparently is not an issue for NFHS, therefore, it is not an issue for me.
And as long as my association says rolled waist bands are OK and support our position at matches, I will abide by that.
Thanks for the input.

By the way - is that why they roll them up . . . . .
so the shorts will wear shorter?
I was not aware of that.
Interesting point, however.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio