The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Adjustments because of Libero

Two questions for you all.
1. What do you think? For those of us who have only been doing FED rules and no club ball, how hard do you think the adjustment will be because of the addition of the libero?
2. I was watching NCAA ball on TV recently. The rules for libero in NCAA "seemed" to be different to me than Fed. but this is still new to me. Am I correct in this?
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 07:30pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
refnrev, the primary thing to remember is that the same player whom the libero replaces is the only one who can return to the court when the libero goes back out. If L replaces #7 in RB, only #7 can replace the libero on the court. If any other player comes in replacing the libero, there is an out of position call (point/loss of rally) followed by an unnecessary delay timeout for the illegal substitution.

If a coach wishes to put in a different player than the one who was replaced by the libero, the original player must return to the court (with the replacement always occurring between the attack line and the end line in front of the team bench) and then the new player can be subbed in using the regular substitution procedure between the center line and the attack line.

The only difference that the NCAA has is that the libero is allowed to serve in one rotation only during a game (they do not have to serve, but if they do, they are restricted to the same spot in the service order throughout that particular game). Currently, in USAV and NFHS, the libero is NOT allowed to serve.

There is a Libero PowerPoint presentation that can be downloaded from the Illinois High School Association that is a big help (just remember that it is specific to the State of Illinois and your state may make different decisions concerning the uniform top since the libero is still considered experimental for 2005-06).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Two questions for you all.
Ok, let's take em one at a time...

Quote:
1. What do you think? For those of us who have only been doing FED rules and no club ball, how hard do you think the adjustment will be because of the addition of the libero?
It depends on how much effort you are willing to make to learn the dos/don'ts with respect to the libero position. Once you get into a comfort zone with the rule, it really isn't that hard to manage. Honest.

But if an official is not willing to learn about the position, be prepared to get harrassed by coaches who just may know better.

Jan and I, among others, have worked with the libero position for years. If you have a question, ask us. We don't bite.

Quote:
2. I was watching NCAA ball on TV recently. The rules for libero in NCAA "seemed" to be different to me than Fed. but this is still new to me. Am I correct in this?
As Jan indicated, other than the libero serving, the NCAA rule is pretty much in line with NFHS/USAV. The only other difference is that the NCAA is more specific as to allowable libero jersey language than the other rulesets.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCBear

Libero PowerPoint presentation that can be downloaded[/url] from the Illinois High School Association that is a big help (just remember that it is specific to the State of Illinois and your state may make different decisions concerning the uniform top since the libero is still considered experimental for 2005-06). [/B]
__________________________________________________ _________
I hope that they use that at the Rules meetings or a clinic, either here in Illinois or in Indiana.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

In Ohio, we had the Libero last year. I did 21 Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshman Matches and found the most difficulty in the coaches and athletes understanding the replacement procedure. The game use of the Libero was for the most part error-free. Entry onto the court between the attack line and end line was the primary problem. Replacement of the correct player was the other problem. By the end of the season, most coaches seemed to understand the procedures. I don't believe a lot of time and effort went into educating the players on proper procedures by the coaches .
The only problem ( ? ) was the Libero and her replacement kept asking the down official for permission to replace. We politely advised them ( repeatedly ) they didn't have to have permission once the game had started.

Just coming back to the site with scheduling already taking place. I decided I better brush up on my Volleyball skills again. I find this to be a good place to interact.

P.S. The Powerpoint Presentation IS a very good training device.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio