The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

hi all - i am currently a baseball umpire. i'm thinking about taking up a few new sports, volleyball being one of them. is there work out there (high school and recreation)just like in baseball? (never enough umpires) when is the high school season? anyone from chicago or know assignors here? thanks for your time
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

oh, also, what does a game pay typically? at what levels etc? thanks
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1. Yes, there is work to be found the Chicago area. Different schools pay different amounts. Check with your local officials association for more info. That said...remember...

2. Volleyball is easy to do...unless you want to do it well. Be prepared to learn far more than what you need to know to just pass the rules test.

[Edited by FMadera on Jun 7th, 2005 at 10:29 AM]
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:56pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
1. Definitely a need for qualified officials - it seems we get a few each year who think that volleyball is "easy money" until they have coaches jumping down their throats because they have not taken the time to learn how the game is played so that it can be officiated well. Check with your local volleyball officials' association or contact the IHSA to get the name of the contact person in your area.

2 - Officiating fees vary from school to school and league to league.

Felix put it excellently. Volleyball IS easy to do ... unless you want to do it well (and then you will work your tail off to keep up with what the coaches are teaching their players, and the constant changes in rules as the three major rules sets - FIVB/USAV, NCAA, NFHS - move closer and closer together).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FMadera
[2. Volleyball is easy to do...unless you want to do it well. Be prepared to learn far more than what you need to know to just pass the rules test.
__________________________________________________ _________

Blue,
I'm a 3 sporter - soccer, basketball,and volleyball. Last year I was doing a V'ball game and a baseball ump friend was announcing. In between games he asked, "Is this as easy as it looks?" I gave him a one word answer - "Nope!" Some of my macho Southern Illinois football or basketball friends refer to volleyball refs as people "stealing money from the school." There are subtle things that happen in a game that are only visible to people who are working hard and paying close attention. I love it -- but it's harder than it looks. And it takes a while to get really good at it.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the responses. While I will admit that I am in it for the 'easy money', it is only compared to when i think of officiating football or soccer. too cold and too much running etc. I would like to get into officiating on a year round basis as I own my own business and can then be very flexible and open with my schedule. I figure to pick up a few fall/winter sports before they start so I want to make sure that there is steady work available. I know I can get work with football but as I said I dont want to do it if I can help it. I will take any sport that I am officiating in very seriously and learn it to the best of my ability and I really do like all sports in general.
I guess once I get licensed I will have to start asking around.
"stealing money"? - if he's so righteous, why doesnt he officiate for free?
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

He's not that righteous -- but he does worl baskebtall 5-6 nights a week.