The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 16, 2024, 09:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Delay?

USAV rules at AAU Junior Nationals. I'm R2 in this situation. R1 blows the whistle and beckons for serve. Clearly after the beckon, the team to my right sends a player into the substitution zone. I quickly motion the player away and tell the coach, "No sub! No sub! He's already beckoned".

At this point, the R1 blows the whistle and waves the sub back to the bench. He then immediately issues a delay warning. (Not an improper request.)

Seems to me, the R1 created the delay by blowing the whistle to stop the serve. We could've just played the point and given an improper request at the end of the play. So (1) should the R1 stop play in this situation; and (2) if the R1 does stop the play, do we have to issue the yellow for delay?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2024, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
USAV rules at AAU Junior Nationals. I'm R2 in this situation. R1 blows the whistle and beckons for serve. Clearly after the beckon, the team to my right sends a player into the substitution zone. I quickly motion the player away and tell the coach, "No sub! No sub! He's already beckoned".

At this point, the R1 blows the whistle and waves the sub back to the bench. He then immediately issues a delay warning. (Not an improper request.)

Seems to me, the R1 created the delay by blowing the whistle to stop the serve. We could've just played the point and given an improper request at the end of the play. So (1) should the R1 stop play in this situation; and (2) if the R1 does stop the play, do we have to issue the yellow for delay?
My thoughts:
1) No
2) Yes, since the request was acknowledged. Incorrectly, and not by correct protocol, but yes, acknowledged, so DW is warranted.

Remember, not all the refs at that tournament are USAV certified, and may not know the nuances of how to properly/best handle these situations.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Jun 19, 2024, 08:51pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post

Remember, not all the refs at that tournament are USAV certified.
Boy, is that true. I've worked with some pretty good officials, but I've also worked with an official in her 2nd season, and a couple college-aged kids who just got certified. It presents challenges.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Thu Jun 20, 2024 at 06:09am.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2024, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Boy, is that true. I've worked with some pretty good officials, but I've also worked with an official in her 2nd season, and a couple college-aged kids who just got certified. It presents challenges.
If we worked together at that, you'd have to school me on USAV-specific rules.