The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 29, 2024, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Pepperdine vs. CSUN

Anybody watch this match? Pretty tough night for the crew. I've worked exactly one D1 match and I've never used CRS. So I'm asking a genuine question and not trying to throw anyone under the bus.

What are the "guidelines" (for lack of a better word) on talking to the coach who has lost a challenge? It seems to me there's not much to say. Either "Coach, this is what I saw" or "Coach, I didn't see anything conclusive". Either way, the challenge is over and we're going to play.

It seemed to me that there was a LOT more conversation between the R2 and the coaches after 2 or 3 of the challenges. Is the accepted practice to engage the coach and let him/her get out some frustration? Or is it preferred to signal the decision and quickly move on?

If you do engage the coach, what are you telling him/her?
Old Fri Mar 01, 2024, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Answer: "It depends."

I normally don't even talk to the coach after unless I'm asked a specific question, and I normally answer quickly and we move on. I'm willing to take time to listen to any potentially protestable issue.

I didn't see the match, and I don't want to imply the refs did anything wrong, not knowing what was discussed and why, but usually we review and that's that.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee