The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 17, 2023, 07:36pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Question on strategy

I never played the game, so while I understand the rules, I don't always grasp WHY things are done a certain way. So here's my question.

Probably 90% of the time, a team's setter starts the set in serving position 1 or position 2. I think I understand why they do this. You want a back row setter right from the first time you serve.

But sometimes the setter starts in serving position 6 (Rotation 2). Is there a specific strategy being employed in doing this? Apart from not understanding an advantage to the team in doing it this way, but (selfishly) it also makes it harder for me to track the team rotations. (Are they one ahead or one behind the other team's rotation. . .?)

So what's the advantage of starting in Rotation 2 over Rotation 1? Thanks for any insight.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2023, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I never played the game, so while I understand the rules, I don't always grasp WHY things are done a certain way. So here's my question.

Probably 90% of the time, a team's setter starts the set in serving position 1 or position 2. I think I understand why they do this. You want a back row setter right from the first time you serve.

But sometimes the setter starts in serving position 6 (Rotation 2). Is there a specific strategy being employed in doing this? Apart from not understanding an advantage to the team in doing it this way, but (selfishly) it also makes it harder for me to track the team rotations. (Are they one ahead or one behind the other team's rotation. . .?)

So what's the advantage of starting in Rotation 2 over Rotation 1? Thanks for any insight.
I see this a lot when the top hitter is an outside, who would be LF to start.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee