The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 17, 2021, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
Example:
They cannot come over to complain about ball handling.
They *can* come over to discuss if you allowed a back row player to illegally attack in the front zone, if you said it was legal.

In other words...this should almost never happen.
So you're going to let a coach approach the stand and ask you about a back row attack AFTER you signaled legal? Not me. That's judgement.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 17, 2021, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
So you're going to let a coach approach the stand and ask you about a back row attack AFTER you signaled legal? Not me. That's judgement.
It might (would) depend on why you said it was legal. "The ball was below the height of the net" -- sure, don't let the coach come over.

"It wasn't a third hit and the player didn't mean to hit it over so it can't be an attack" -- sure, the coach gets to come over.

And, yes, it's a little convoluted given the specific example given. But, the point is accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 07:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It might (would) depend on why you said it was legal. "The ball was below the height of the net" -- sure, don't let the coach come over.

"It wasn't a third hit and the player didn't mean to hit it over so it can't be an attack" -- sure, the coach gets to come over.

And, yes, it's a little convoluted given the specific example given. But, the point is accurate.
But intent of the back row player doesn't matter. Only ball position relative to the height of the net and player position relative to the attack line matter. If a back row player didn't mean to attack but she attacked according to the rules then it is still an attack.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 07:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
But intent of the back row player doesn't matter. Only ball position relative to the height of the net and player position relative to the attack line matter. If a back row player didn't mean to attack but she attacked according to the rules then it is still an attack.
I know the rule. You know the rule. Felix knows the rule.

The hypothetical referee or coach in this thread might NOT know the rule. One or the other might make that statement.

If it's the referee, the coach has the right to protest to get the rule right. If it's the coach, s/he's still protesting about a rule--and will lose the protest and lose the TO (and if s/he has already used the two TOs will get a delay sanction).
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 633
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
So you're going to let a coach approach the stand and ask you about a back row attack AFTER you signaled legal? Not me. That's judgement.
No, I meant as in saying that something that is illegal to do was legal to do, when it is not.
__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 09:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 633
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
But intent of the back row player doesn't matter. Only ball position relative to the height of the net and player position relative to the attack line matter. If a back row player didn't mean to attack but she attacked according to the rules then it is still an attack.
If a coach wanted to protest that intent mattered, that would be a valid protest.

They'd lose, but since it's a question of correct/incorrect interpretation of the rule (and not judgement), it would be an allowable protest.

Judging ball height would absolutely not be grounds for a protest.
__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1