The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 12, 2019, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 626
2019 Rules questionnaire

The annual end of season rules questionnaire is now available to be taken.

My biggest observation is that the possible rule changes going forward would bring the rules in line with college/USAV regarding net and centerline violations.

Here's the link: http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...uestionnaires/
__________________
THE FLY IS OPEN, LET'S GO PEAY
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 615
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
The annual end of season rules questionnaire is now available to be taken.

My biggest observation is that the possible rule changes going forward would bring the rules in line with college/USAV regarding net and centerline violations.

Here's the link: http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...uestionnaires/
I'm torn. I like the college rules much better, but I'm not confident NFHS will achieve consistency across all states with enforcing them correctly.
__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus, OH area
Posts: 14
I'm not confident the rules would be enforced consistently WITHIN my state of Ohio, let alone across states!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 13, 2019, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Galesburg, IL
Posts: 59
There is no consistency in enforcing rules in Illinois now with the current rules. At least this way, those of us that work NCAA/USAV/NHFS will have similar rules in all three rule sets.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 15, 2019, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.oe4 View Post
There is no consistency in enforcing rules in Illinois now with the current rules. At least this way, those of us that work NCAA/USAV/NHFS will have similar rules in all three rule sets.
I also favor the USAV interps of net and centerline, but the NFHS versions do make it easier for officials as there is no judgement required, only the illegal act.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 16, 2019, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
I also favor the USAV interps of net and centerline, but the NFHS versions do make it easier for officials as there is no judgement required, only the illegal act.

I'm a newer official, so I voted for the "simplicity" of the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 17, 2019, 11:04am
Advantage/Disadvantage
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 22
Consistency in rules is needed

The rule sets for any net or center line violations across all levels should be consistent.

In Missouri we are finally moving to 3 out of 5 sets next fall, so if we are really preparing our athletes for the college level, let the coaches teach the same concepts.

As the second referee at the NFHS level, we should be more involved in the match. Meaning, we are not just there to assist the scorers table and waive in the subs. Some matches I had this fall, I did not have any whistles.
There should be some level of judgement on the net violations, as some have no NFHS matches.
Not because of the USAV rule, but more to keep the ball flying as there was no advantage gained by the violation.

If you have other college rule (or USAV if so inclined) level thoughts that could be brought down to the NFHS Level to make our game more consistent, please share.
__________________
Make sure everyone is safe and HAS FUN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 18, 2019, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 74
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
The rule sets for any net or center line violations across all levels should be consistent.

In Missouri we are finally moving to 3 out of 5 sets next fall, so if we are really preparing our athletes for the college level, let the coaches teach the same concepts.

As the second referee at the NFHS level, we should be more involved in the match. Meaning, we are not just there to assist the scorers table and waive in the subs. Some matches I had this fall, I did not have any whistles.
There should be some level of judgement on the net violations, as some have no NFHS matches.
Not because of the USAV rule, but more to keep the ball flying as there was no advantage gained by the violation.

If you have other college rule (or USAV if so inclined) level thoughts that could be brought down to the NFHS Level to make our game more consistent, please share.
Standardizing the way lineups are submitted would be nice
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,153
I for one do not favor changing the rule. I think the rules are absolutely correct the way they are. A player should not be allowed to contact the net or step across the center line.

1) I don't like the idea of "safety" rules being judgment calls. The center line rule is a safety rule.

I have witnessed too many cases of injuries because of players stepping under the net to feel we should be loosening the rule.

2) I think the rule as currently used by the NFHS does provide the most consistency in officiating because the rule is clear. Are there missed net calls or center line faults? Absolutely, but the rule is not the reason why.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
Standardizing the way lineups are submitted would be nice
Agreed. We have too many coaches at the HS level and MS too, that don't know how to properly submit a lineup because the rule codes are different.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 01:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
The rule sets for any net or center line violations across all levels should be consistent.

In Missouri we are finally moving to 3 out of 5 sets next fall, so if we are really preparing our athletes for the college level, let the coaches teach the same concepts.

As the second referee at the NFHS level, we should be more involved in the match. Meaning, we are not just there to assist the scorers table and waive in the subs. Some matches I had this fall, I did not have any whistles.
There should be some level of judgement on the net violations, as some have no NFHS matches.
Not because of the USAV rule, but more to keep the ball flying as there was no advantage gained by the violation.


If you have other college rule (or USAV if so inclined) level thoughts that could be brought down to the NFHS Level to make our game more consistent, please share.

I completely disagree with you on this. The best way I have seen it described came from the meet referee I worked with this weekend at a state final swim meet. "Officials are to be noticed, but not seen." Our presence at the match should be noticed, but our actions should not be seen because we are not the important part of the match, the players are. The best games, matches, and meets I have done are the ones where I have the least to call. They are normally played at the best level with the best competition, and require the least "calls" to be made.

One of the best games I've had has a basketball official had 4 foul calls total. All 4 were in the first minute because it set the tone for how the game would be called. The next 23 minutes of play had no fouls called because the teams knew what would be called. As officials we should not be the focus of the game and wanting more to do as an official is contrary to that belief.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltllng View Post
As the second referee at the NFHS level, we should be more involved in the match. Meaning, we are not just there to assist the scorers table and waive in the subs. Some matches I had this fall, I did not have any whistles.
There should be some level of judgement on the net violations, as some have no NFHS matches.
Not because of the USAV rule, but more to keep the ball flying as there was no advantage gained by the violation.
I don't see how you'd get more whistles in these situations if the net/center line violations were based on NCAA. I've also had matches where I never made a fault-related whistle, but that doesn't mean I wasn't doing my job.
__________________
Andrew Senger
Webmaster: RefVB.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Rules 2019 The_Rookie Basketball 16 Thu Sep 19, 2019 08:12pm
2019 Rules Changes kenref1 Football 69 Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:20pm
2019 NFHS Questionnaire Rich Basketball 79 Fri Feb 15, 2019 06:56pm
FED Rules Changes for 2019 CT1 Baseball 3 Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:26am
Annual NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire grunewar Basketball 4 Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1