The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 05, 2018, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Update, finished my Part I test, scored an 86.

Not bad for a 1st year guy who has never been on the floor. I can't even pronounce Libero yet...
Old Sun Aug 05, 2018, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Some people say LiBEARo, but I use (and most volleyball people use) LEEbero, as in Italian.

86 should definitely pass you for working varsity assignments, and probably the playoffs as well (not that a first-year official will be working playoffs, other than in a line judge capacity). You will get a lot of middle school assignments and some varsity R2 assignments (In volleyball, the officiating crew is divided into R1 (the first referee), who spends most of the match on the platform, supervises the serve, and blows the whistle to end play. He also awards points, and R2, who is in front of the scorer's table, and manages timeouts, the substitution process, and answers coach questions as needed. He is responsible for the actions of the receiving team, alignment faults, net faults, and center line violations. The crew is assisted by line judges (at least 2, one for the corners to the right of each referee, there can be 4 line judges at major events), 2 scorers, the home scorer is the official one, a libero tracker, and a timer (who times the intermissions, timeouts, and operates the scoreboard). Middle school and JV matches usually just use 1 official, in which case the R1 has to descend from the stand in between sets to manage the lineups and assure that teams are in the correct position. However, double (and triple-headers, should there also be a freshman team) might sometimes use a 2-person crew throughout (at others, R1 is R1 for all matches, with R2 coming for the varsity match).
Old Sun Aug 05, 2018, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have my schedule, We double on all games, I have 6 JV & 6 Varsity.

I doubt that I will get any play off assignments, but you never know because of injuries. I do have a JV Tourney.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2018, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Well, maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I have my schedule, We double on all games, I have 6 JV & 6 Varsity.
ext
I doubt that I will get any play off assignments, but you never know because of injuries. I do have a JV Tourney.
I don't know how the playoffs work in your state (MD??). Down here in the Commonwealth of VA, each match has 2 extra assignments as Line Judges. So for most rookie officials at the end of your first season, you'll be both a varsity and a playoff official. I couldn't say that in either of my other sports (BB & SB). Of course, I wasn't assigned into any situation that I couldn't handle.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2018, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I line judged most of my first year and only went up/down maybe a handful of times. It was a great way to learn from experienced officials how to call a match. Even made it to the semis as a line judge. My advice: Learn every time you go out there whether its a technique or rule. When you are the R2: Get your net and centerline calls along with ability to control coaches and the table first. Then move onto overlaps and helping your partner. If you want to post film of your work we'll be happy to watch.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Aug 07, 2018, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I line judged most of my first year and only went up/down maybe a handful of times. It was a great way to learn from experienced officials how to call a match.
PS Always listen to Derryl, also!
Old Mon Aug 13, 2018, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the vote of confidence LCubed48
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper