The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

PAVO Line judge candidate

I'm so glad to find this board. I've been lurking for the past few days reading archives and have enjoyed reading the experiences and questions of other officials.

Now that my work situation is stable, and I no longer will actively participate in the Army Reserve, I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I have been involved in volleyball in one way or another (player/coach/official) since 7th grade, and I am now looking to become a PAVO line judge.

I will sign up for membership once that opens in a couple months, and know I must attend a clinic. It looks like the closest one to me last year was in Cleveland; that's not a horrible drive for me; I'm actually willing to go much further than that if need be.

I would especially appreciate hearing from any others with this certification on what their first few years were like. I'm especially concerned about getting assignments that will be used for observations and recommendations.

To build up experience, I was considering volunteering as a line judge for boys matches at the local high schools and trying to offer my services at a USAV event if I can find one nearby. Is this something you would advise in my situation, or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend getting in contact with the closest PAVO Board Chair which in your case may be Chuck Fleet who is Board Chair of West Penn-Ohio Board. He should be able to provide you with any information on clinics. His email is and phone number are: [email protected], (724) 734-9164.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

PAVO Line Judge

Contact Chuck Fleet. He is the President of the Penn-Ohio chapter of PAVO as well as a director on the PAVO board of directors. He may be able to get you local training and experience on one of the college spring scrimmages. His contact info is: [email protected]. Most local boards have local training and certification sessions, and can help with getting assignments.