The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 21, 2016, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Solid Color

Has anyone started working matches? If so have you encountered any issues with solid color jersey Compliance?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Aug 28, 2016, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Had a 9 team jamboree last week - no issues so far.

Matches start this week - I have a JV2/JV/V on Tues, tri-varsity on Thurs & a V tournament on Sat. - that's potentially 13 more teams I will see this week so I guess we'll see...........

Realistically, I don't expect it to be much of an issue. Teams have had plenty of time to comply and I think most have done so by now.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2016, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Had a 9 team jamboree last week - no issues so far.

Matches start this week - I have a JV2/JV/V on Tues, tri-varsity on Thurs & a V tournament on Sat. - that's potentially 13 more teams I will see this week so I guess we'll see...........

Realistically, I don't expect it to be much of an issue. Teams have had plenty of time to comply and I think most have done so by now.
Wonderful to think that there would be no issues, we already have about 5 teams with issues in our area. Never underestimate the power of coaches inability to read the rules book.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2016, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

We had an "area meeting" last night (i.e., officials from a few counties). They said that there were already issues. The sad part is that the solution is really easy - buy a single complaint libero shirt. I live in a fairly small community (50k-ish), and there are several places here that could do that in less than a couple of hours and for less than $25 (it might not be what they *want*, but it would work until they do).
Old Sat Sep 03, 2016, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Well, since my last post I have seen 13 additional varsity teams and not one issue with the solid color uniform requirements.

Maybe it's because for the last couple years our state association has been very proactive and emphatic in remiinding the teams of the new uniform rules going into effect this season.......
Old Sun Sep 04, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I have also worked 8 varsity matches this year so far and have not had a problem with solid color jerseys.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2016, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

What's your interpretation of the last (?) clause of the new "solid color jersey" rule? Does the number itself need to be a contrasting color, or is a contrasting colored outline by itself sufficient?

(NCAA will require the number itself to be a contrasting color in 2019. Has FED beat them to the punch for the solid colored jerseys, or is this just a poorly constructed / written rule?)
Old Sun Sep 04, 2016, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What's your interpretation of the last (?) clause of the new "solid color jersey" rule? Does the number itself need to be a contrasting color, or is a contrasting colored outline by itself sufficient?

(NCAA will require the number itself to be a contrasting color in 2019. Has FED beat them to the punch for the solid colored jerseys, or is this just a poorly constructed / written rule?)
Bob,

I think the words "shall" and "and" make it pretty clear. If that's not what they intended, then hopefully they will clarify it.

That said, check with your SRI to see how the state wants it handled.

If fact, I'm going to ask our association rules interpreter to see what they say...

Last edited by TimTaylor; Sun Sep 04, 2016 at 04:11pm.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2016, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I agree.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2016, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Bob,

I think the words "shall" and "and" make it pretty clear. If that's not what they intended, then hopefully they will clarify it.

That said, check with your SRI to see how the state wants it handled.

If fact, I'm going to ask our association rules interpreter to see what they say...
And I was incorrect.

The answer I received is that if the outline color is clearly contrasting, then the number can be the same color as the uniform - this is the rule as manufacturers understand it via NFHS.

When you stop to think about it, that makes a lot of sense - why make it more complex than it needs to be?
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Uniform Tops

What if there is NO Libero for the match? Is the team required to wear a solid color uniform top?
4.2.2 addresses the uniform top of the Libero. If the Libero has a multicolored uniform top then the rest of the team has to have a solid colored uniform top. Likewise, if the Libero has a solid colored uniform top, then the rest of the team is not required to wear a solid uniform top.

Can a team have a multicolored uniform top if a Libero IS NOT being used?

The cover of the 2016-17 NFHS volleyball books have correct uniforms. There is only 1 player of the attacking team, and she is wear a solid colored uniform top. The receiving team has a Libero (#10) wearing a solid uniform top and 2 teammates (#8 and 13) wearing multicolored uniform tops. The body of the uniform is dark Blue and the sleeves are white.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Yes. The purpose of the rule is to be able to easily distinguish the libero. No libero, no need to distinguish.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
What if there is NO Libero for the match? Is the team required to wear a solid color uniform top?
4.2.2 addresses the uniform top of the Libero. If the Libero has a multicolored uniform top then the rest of the team has to have a solid colored uniform top. Likewise, if the Libero has a solid colored uniform top, then the rest of the team is not required to wear a solid uniform top.

The penalty for not having either the libero or the rest of the team wearing a solid color jersey is that a libero may not be used by that team. From there, I'll leave the answer to the question as an exercise for the reader.