The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Solid Color (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/101572-solid-color.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Sun Aug 21, 2016 05:11pm

Solid Color

Has anyone started working matches? If so have you encountered any issues with solid color jersey Compliance?

TimTaylor Sun Aug 28, 2016 06:16pm

Had a 9 team jamboree last week - no issues so far.

Matches start this week - I have a JV2/JV/V on Tues, tri-varsity on Thurs & a V tournament on Sat. - that's potentially 13 more teams I will see this week so I guess we'll see...........

Realistically, I don't expect it to be much of an issue. Teams have had plenty of time to comply and I think most have done so by now.

outathm Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 990237)
Had a 9 team jamboree last week - no issues so far.

Matches start this week - I have a JV2/JV/V on Tues, tri-varsity on Thurs & a V tournament on Sat. - that's potentially 13 more teams I will see this week so I guess we'll see...........

Realistically, I don't expect it to be much of an issue. Teams have had plenty of time to comply and I think most have done so by now.

Wonderful to think that there would be no issues, we already have about 5 teams with issues in our area. Never underestimate the power of coaches inability to read the rules book.

kylehutson Tue Aug 30, 2016 02:23pm

We had an "area meeting" last night (i.e., officials from a few counties). They said that there were already issues. The sad part is that the solution is really easy - buy a single complaint libero shirt. I live in a fairly small community (50k-ish), and there are several places here that could do that in less than a couple of hours and for less than $25 (it might not be what they *want*, but it would work until they do).

TimTaylor Sat Sep 03, 2016 07:47pm

Well, since my last post I have seen 13 additional varsity teams and not one issue with the solid color uniform requirements.

Maybe it's because for the last couple years our state association has been very proactive and emphatic in remiinding the teams of the new uniform rules going into effect this season.......

Tony.oe4 Sun Sep 04, 2016 01:42pm

I have also worked 8 varsity matches this year so far and have not had a problem with solid color jerseys.

bob jenkins Sun Sep 04, 2016 03:05pm

What's your interpretation of the last (?) clause of the new "solid color jersey" rule? Does the number itself need to be a contrasting color, or is a contrasting colored outline by itself sufficient?

(NCAA will require the number itself to be a contrasting color in 2019. Has FED beat them to the punch for the solid colored jerseys, or is this just a poorly constructed / written rule?)

TimTaylor Sun Sep 04, 2016 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 990407)
What's your interpretation of the last (?) clause of the new "solid color jersey" rule? Does the number itself need to be a contrasting color, or is a contrasting colored outline by itself sufficient?

(NCAA will require the number itself to be a contrasting color in 2019. Has FED beat them to the punch for the solid colored jerseys, or is this just a poorly constructed / written rule?)

Bob,

I think the words "shall" and "and" make it pretty clear. If that's not what they intended, then hopefully they will clarify it.

That said, check with your SRI to see how the state wants it handled.

If fact, I'm going to ask our association rules interpreter to see what they say...

bob jenkins Mon Sep 05, 2016 08:08am

Thanks. I agree.

TimTaylor Mon Sep 05, 2016 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor (Post 990408)
Bob,

I think the words "shall" and "and" make it pretty clear. If that's not what they intended, then hopefully they will clarify it.

That said, check with your SRI to see how the state wants it handled.

If fact, I'm going to ask our association rules interpreter to see what they say...

And I was incorrect.

The answer I received is that if the outline color is clearly contrasting, then the number can be the same color as the uniform - this is the rule as manufacturers understand it via NFHS.

When you stop to think about it, that makes a lot of sense - why make it more complex than it needs to be?

Zoochy Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:12am

Uniform Tops

What if there is NO Libero for the match? Is the team required to wear a solid color uniform top?
4.2.2 addresses the uniform top of the Libero. If the Libero has a multicolored uniform top then the rest of the team has to have a solid colored uniform top. Likewise, if the Libero has a solid colored uniform top, then the rest of the team is not required to wear a solid uniform top.

Can a team have a multicolored uniform top if a Libero IS NOT being used?

The cover of the 2016-17 NFHS volleyball books have correct uniforms. There is only 1 player of the attacking team, and she is wear a solid colored uniform top. The receiving team has a Libero (#10) wearing a solid uniform top and 2 teammates (#8 and 13) wearing multicolored uniform tops. The body of the uniform is dark Blue and the sleeves are white.

bob jenkins Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 990572)

Yes. The purpose of the rule is to be able to easily distinguish the libero. No libero, no need to distinguish.

kylehutson Mon Sep 12, 2016 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 990572)
What if there is NO Libero for the match? Is the team required to wear a solid color uniform top?
4.2.2 addresses the uniform top of the Libero. If the Libero has a multicolored uniform top then the rest of the team has to have a solid colored uniform top. Likewise, if the Libero has a solid colored uniform top, then the rest of the team is not required to wear a solid uniform top.

The penalty for not having either the libero or the rest of the team wearing a solid color jersey is that a libero may not be used by that team. From there, I'll leave the answer to the question as an exercise for the reader. ;)