The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Non-payment situations

Hello all,
How long do your areas give schools before beginning non-payment proceedings and getting your association/area liason of officials involved? Worked a match on 9/1 and still haven't received payment.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Non-payment

At one school I work, payment issuing times are dependent on the time till the next school board meeting. Although they know the cost before the season starts, all expenditures must be approved before issuing the check. So if you work a match the day after the board meeting, you could wait upto three weeks before a check is issued.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2015, 10:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Hello all,
How long do your areas give schools before beginning non-payment proceedings and getting your association/area liason of officials involved? Worked a match on 9/1 and still haven't received payment.
Much longer than this.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

I've only had an issue with one school in 18 years. I worked two contests for them in a month. Since I had never worked for them before, they asked me to fill out a W-9 when I arrived for the first contest. When I got to the second contest a few weeks later, I asked about payment for the first. He assured me that I would receive a check for both.

A month later, I sent an email to the school. When the check still didn't come, I stopped pursuing it. I no longer work events at that school.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 08:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I've only had an issue with one school in 18 years. I worked two contests for them in a month. Since I had never worked for them before, they asked me to fill out a W-9 when I arrived for the first contest. When I got to the second contest a few weeks later, I asked about payment for the first. He assured me that I would receive a check for both.

A month later, I sent an email to the school. When the check still didn't come, I stopped pursuing it. I no longer work events at that school.
That's the time you make it publicly known across your circle of officials.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Yeah. That school was a little "out of area" for me actually. Not many in my association would normally travel that far. I took the jobs because they were having trouble finding officials. Go figure...
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Here the rule is at approximately 10 days after if you haven't been paid send an email to the school's AD & Athletic Secretary (making sure to CC the assignor so he is made aware of the issue) inquiring as to the status of your pay.We did this on 9/11 with no response to the inquiry.On 9/15 and 9/16 we left voice messages with the AD and their secretary with no response.If we don't here anything from the school today the area assignor and liaison of officials are being notified.This is a RefPay school so we are a little less tolerant of non-payment situations in this case.

Altor-in your case does your state/association governing body have an contact you can go to for situations like that?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Thu Sep 17, 2015 at 10:20am.