The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Track & Field

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Got asked a question from a friend of my son. He has recently gotten his ears pierced and wondered if he was able to wear the ear rings while particpating in track events. I am a softball, volleyball and wrestling official and know what FED says about them in these sports but was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ruling is for track.

Thanks in advance
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Got asked a question from a friend of my son. He has recently gotten his ears pierced and wondered if he was able to wear the ear rings while particpating in track events. I am a softball, volleyball and wrestling official and know what FED says about them in these sports but was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ruling is for track.

Thanks in advance
DaveASA/FED,
[Per NFHS]
Competitors Uniform 4-3-4 - "Jewelry shall not be worn, except for religious or medical medals. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert must be taped and may be visible."

(In Michigan, no chain for a religious medal; the religious medal must be taped under the uniform without the chain.)

mick
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
Thanks for the reply. What is the penalty? I know if SB, VB and WR that person would not compete if it was not removed. His coach mentioned point deductions for jewelry, I had never heard of this.

Thanks again
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Mick,
Thanks for the reply. What is the penalty? I know if SB, VB and WR that person would not compete if it was not removed. His coach mentioned point deductions for jewelry, I had never heard of this.

Thanks again
DaveASA/FED,
The Track & Field and Cross Country jewelry rule is a little tougher.

According to Fed, jewelry comes under the heading of an illegal uniform in track & field, and the penalty for an illegal uniform is that the competitor is disqualified from the event.
They even have a rule that implies that a jewelry-wearing competitor may not choose to run in another lane (one that is farther away from any opponent).

[What is considered jewelry? In Michigan: any jewelry and those popular colored-plastic wristbands, sunglasses (with medical exceptions), watches, temporary body paint or other adornment.
Legal jewelry in Michigan: Wedding bands, medical alert necklaces or bracelets, religious medals (no chains)]

The jewelry rules, though unnecessarily harsh in my opinion, are simply zero tolerance and event disqualification. Thus, if a kid gets dq'd in one of his four events the kid may remove the jewelry and still legally compete in the rest of that kid's events.

Oh, ...breathe-right strips are permitted!

mick
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Why are they allowing a wedding band to be permitted? A state can be tougher than the NF such as disallowing watches or sunglasses, but to permit a ring is not something a state association can do.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Why are they allowing a wedding band to be permitted? A state can be tougher than the NF such as disallowing watches or sunglasses, but to permit a ring is not something a state association can do.
Tom,
I doubt very much that Michigan will loose it's membership in NFHS, or they wouldn't allow it.
Officials are also allowed wedding bands.
mick
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

My daughter recently had another hole put in her (head) ear and I explained to her that she cannot participate in her events with the earring in. Her coach told her she could tape it and thus far she has not had any issues. I work basketball and know that we would never allow this. Is it possible that she is walking on thin ice and eventually someone will penalize her?
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:15am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
My daughter recently had another hole put in her (head) ear and I explained to her that she cannot participate in her events with the earring in. Her coach told her she could tape it and thus far she has not had any issues. I work basketball and know that we would never allow this. Is it possible that she is walking on thin ice and eventually someone will penalize her?
ChrisSportsFan,
When push comes to pull, like hoops, it depends on who the referee is I think.
mick

Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

What jewelry items an official wears is not the issue nor the point. NFHS has no say in that matter.

NFHS rule policy does have a say in what the athletes can wear. Wearing a ring is something comes under their policy and it should not be permitted by Michigan officials.

Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Applying tape to cover an earring is also something that should not be dependent on the state nor official working the meet.

The earring either comes out or you don't participate. If you do participate, than you will be DQ'd from that event.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
What jewelry items an official wears is not the issue nor the point. NFHS has no say in that matter.

NFHS rule policy does have a say in what the athletes can wear. Wearing a ring is something comes under their policy and it should not be permitted by Michigan officials.

Maybe not for Track, Tom, but they do have opinions, for example;
  • In its basketball Officials Manual, it shows a Cardinal Principle - "n. Do not wear jewelry during a game."
  • In its Softball Umpires Manual - Uniform-Equipment "Jewelry, except for wedding bands and medical-alert bracelets and necklaces shall not be worn."
    I would guess some other sports would follow suit.

mick
    Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:06pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Applying tape to cover an earring is also something that should not be dependent on the state nor official working the meet.

The earring either comes out or you don't participate. If you do participate, than you will be DQ'd from that event.
    I agree with zero tolerance, Tom. It makes my life real easy.
    I was giving ChrisSportsFan the "real world" answer.
    Some officials allow earings. It's an indisputable fact.

And, of course, if the jewelry decision is made after the event, the event DQ stands.

mick
    Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 01:50pm
    Official Forum Member

I can only speak for Track (and Football) but it has been passed down to me that all NF rule codes have a consistent ruling for jewelry.

If track officials are indeed premitting tape over ear rings, then they guilty of making up their own rules and are doing a disservice to the kids especially when they go out-of-state to compete.

I've seen tears flowing from young girls eyes when they are told to remove the item or sit. It bothers me not. You'd be surprised how quickly the item comes out.

Here in my state, if you report to the event with a banned item, you're gone. Coaches know this and go all out to assure that their athletes comply prior to leaving the bus or enter into the competition area.

If the NF ever does change (to be like the NCAA or USATF) I'll be more than happy as I do all three. It makes live easier for me if that were the case.
    Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 02:27pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    If track officials are indeed premitting tape over ear rings, then they guilty of making up their own rules and are doing a disservice to the kids especially when they go out-of-state to compete.

I've seen tears flowing from young girls eyes when they are told to remove the item or sit. It bothers me not. You'd be surprised how quickly the item comes out.

I agree, Tom. All those coaches know that.

Here in my state, if you report to the event with a banned item, you're gone. Coaches know this and go all out to assure that their athletes comply prior to leaving the bus or enter into the competition area.
    In Michigan, we follow the NFHS Starter Pre-race duties:

"Just prior to the race, and before giving remaining instructions, the starter should: (3) Apply preventative officiating checks for proper uniforms and jewelry."

I think the reasoning is to prevent a simple, "You're gone", until after the race.

mick

Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:58pm
    Official Forum Member

I wish we would also have more leeway in preventing uniform and jewelry violations at the startline or event. Fact of the matter here is, it's the coaches responsibility to prevent it before they enter the track or competition area.
    Once they become competitors per definition, it is out of our hands.
    It's working as the number of DQs in my sectional area has dropped off tremendously as a result of this strict policy. It all begins with a pre-meet coaches and captains meeting.