The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Lbr

Question deals with overrunning into right field (8.7.T.3.b,c,d). Is the point where she turns to come back considered her "one stop" as far as the LBR is concerned?

Play 1:
Events are in this exact order: B1 bunts, def sees no play, throws to F1 in circle. BR overruns, turns,comes back toward 1B, breaks for 2B. No question, out.

Play 2:
B1 lays down a perfect bunt, streaks through 1B, turns to come back to 1B, F5 retrieves bunted ball & throws to F1 in the circle.
At this point, B1 has not had her one stop that she's entitled to. If she breaks for 2B, is she violating 8.7.T.3.b,c or d?
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Question deals with overrunning into right field (8.7.T.3.b,c,d). Is the point where she turns to come back considered her "one stop" as far as the LBR is concerned?

Play 1:
Events are in this exact order: B1 bunts, def sees no play, throws to F1 in circle. BR overruns, turns,comes back toward 1B, breaks for 2B. No question, out.

Play 2:
B1 lays down a perfect bunt, streaks through 1B, turns to come back to 1B, F5 retrieves bunted ball & throws to F1 in the circle.
At this point, B1 has not had her one stop that she's entitled to. If she breaks for 2B, is she violating 8.7.T.3.b,c or d?
For NFHS and ASA, when BR overruns first there really isn't a "one stop" as much as there is "where is she committed." Once the ball is controlled in the circle, the direction the BR is going makes all the difference. If she is committed toward first, she cannot go to second. If she is committed to second, she is committed to second. While umpire judgement factors in to "commitment", for me, she is committed when she steps toward first or steps toward second. See ASA RS#34 G.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
For NFHS and ASA, when BR overruns first there really isn't a "one stop" as much as there is "where is she committed." Once the ball is controlled in the circle, the direction the BR is going makes all the difference. If she is committed toward first, she cannot go to second. If she is committed to second, she is committed to second. While umpire judgement factors in to "commitment", for me, she is committed when she steps toward first or steps toward second. See ASA RS#34 G.
Scenario: batter runner overruns first and turns right and then realizes that the throw to first has sailed over the F3's head. Batter runner then advances toward second getting about 1/2 of the way there. Pitcher gets ball in circle. BR freezes and then goes back toward first. LBR violation? I haven't read the RS since I don't have it here, but I don't feel like the rule is meant to be read that way.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Scenario: batter runner overruns first and turns right and then realizes that the throw to first has sailed over the F3's head. Batter runner then advances toward second getting about 1/2 of the way there. Pitcher gets ball in circle. BR freezes and then goes back toward first. LBR violation? I haven't read the RS since I don't have it here, but I don't feel like the rule is meant to be read that way.
Looks like one stop to me.