The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Umpire in terms of priority. Being too far up the 3rd base line in order to see the runner hit the base is a poor and unacceptable excuse for not being in position for the play at the plate. Umpire must return to the point of the plate and adjust for the play.

You can see a runner hit/miss a base from almost anywhere on the field; and if it's so close that you need a micrometer to tell, you're not calling the out.

The game is about scoring runs and preventing the opponent from scoring runs. There is nothing more fundamental than that. Therefore, poor positioning should never be an excuse for violating the fundamentals of the game.

That said, I only see the tag. I'd presume the ball stayed in the glove and there were no control issues based on others' comments.

And if there was a possible play @ 3B? Or maybe there was already a play @ 3B and this was a subsequent play. We don't know.

I do agree that the plate is the priority. However, the point of the plate is not where an umpire goes if s/he is responsible for any play at more than one base.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2015, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And if there was a possible play @ 3B? Or maybe there was already a play @ 3B and this was a subsequent play. We don't know.

I do agree that the plate is the priority. However, the point of the plate is not where an umpire goes if s/he is responsible for any play at more than one base.
If the runner is tearing ass around 3rd base to have this play at the plate, there is no play at 3rd base and any experienced umpire can read that. If you want to argue that she could have stopped and gone back, then the plate umpire has substantially more time to adjust to that than a runner going full speed, non-stop, attempting to score.

I'm also not convinced that there was a subsequent play at home plate after the plate umpire had to rule on a play at 3rd base. Doesn't make sense here.
Old Wed Mar 11, 2015, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Two runs did score on the play at the plate where the second runner was ruled safe. I don't recall the particulars or where the runners/Umpires started from.

And I don't remember if the umpires ended up going into "2-man" if an umpire chased.

The first run of the play (second of the game for SC) was no problem. The inning should have ended with the score 7-2 but the PU called the 2nd runner safe at home. Missouri then got those 2 runs back in the next inning.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
If the runner is tearing ass around 3rd base to have this play at the plate, there is no play at 3rd base and any experienced umpire can read that. If you want to argue that she could have stopped and gone back, then the plate umpire has substantially more time to adjust to that than a runner going full speed, non-stop, attempting to score.

I'm also not convinced that there was a subsequent play at home plate after the plate umpire had to rule on a play at 3rd base. Doesn't make sense here.
Who said anything about a runner tearing ass around 3B? And yes, any decent umpire should be able to read that, but from what is being offered in he snapshots, we do not know what the situation was. And even if a runner is rounding 3B, you've never seen the defense throw behind a runner? I have and it often gets the runner hung up in a rundown. Of course, now I'm adding to the scenario and assuming the players know how to play in this manner
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
The snapshot does not depict proper NCAA plate mechanics. On this play, if an umpire chases, PU would be in a holding zone between third and home, as he would have responsibilities at both bases. If they throw is home, he would be returning from the holding zone to make this call (but not at this angle/distance). If no umpire chased, he should use a Point of Plate holding zone and read/adjust as the play develops.
Reference: CAA manual page 186 (for when a BU does not chase); page 189 for when a BU chases; page 37 for PU holding zones.
Watched a highlight video of the play on the SC website…..runners on 1st&2nd fly ball off the base of the fence in left center, U3 chased.

BR rounds 2nd hard, with U1 right with her as there was a bobble by the outfielder picking up the ball, and while not shown, possibly a hesitation (mishandle?) by the F6 on the cutoff.
Not a wide enough shot off the entire play to see the reason that the PU came back to the plate at the angle and distance shown in the pic. Video does show him clearly behind the runner as she coming up the 3rd base line as the play is developing. Does not show if he utilized the holding zone. So yes, he's 'late', but all the information that might tells us why, and help us learn from the play, is not available on the video.
It's a tough coverage just reviewing it in the Manual, tougher in real time.