The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quick Pitch

Should umpires require pitchers to keep their hands separated (when they first step on the pitching plate) until the batter is looking at the pitcher? In many cases the pitcher is seen "presenting" the ball as soon as the batter is stepping into the box. It's understood the batter needs to be ready while in the box but their must be some common ground. Obviously, the pitcher has an advantage if she's already started her pitching motion (presented the ball) before the batter is truly ready. Im not referring to an intentional quick pitch, per say. My position is...pitcher should have their hands separated. Batter steps in. Taps the plate with her bat. Looks at pitcher. Pitcher then "presents" the ball. What do the rules support?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball View Post
Should umpires require pitchers to keep their hands separated (when they first step on the pitching plate) until the batter is looking at the pitcher? In many cases the pitcher is seen "presenting" the ball as soon as the batter is stepping into the box. It's understood the batter needs to be ready while in the box but their must be some common ground. Obviously, the pitcher has an advantage if she's already started her pitching motion (presented the ball) before the batter is truly ready. Im not referring to an intentional quick pitch, per say. My position is...pitcher should have their hands separated. Batter steps in. Taps the plate with her bat. Looks at pitcher. Pitcher then "presents" the ball. What do the rules support?
Per ASA/NFHS, etc., do not know which you are using.

There is no pitching rule requirement for the batter to be ready, other than "no pitch" when the batter is resetting and "off balance" from a previous pitch.
Yes, hands must be separated, but only until the sign-taking is done or simulated.
AFAIK, there is no such thing as presenting the ball.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

The rules require the pitcher to step on to the pitchers plate with hands separated and maintain that separation for a discernible amount of time. The rules require the pitcher to pause after they have stepped on to the plate to take OR simulate taking a signal from the catcher. The pitcher can then bring their hands together.

The pitch starts when the hands separate. This is considered the "signal" to the batter that the pitch is imminent.

In my experience, most pitchers will wait, either off the pitchers plate or once they step on, for the batter to be ready.

If you feel that the pitcher is close to beginning the pitch when the batter is not set and ready, simply hold up your hand to tell the pitcher not to pitch.

There is already plenty of rules support that can be used in this situation.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
AFAIK, there is no such thing as presenting the ball.
Oh my god, this. I have been hearing about presenting the ball ever since I got my first blue shirt for ASA and shin guards. Back then, I barely understood the pitching rules and I remember a lot of younger pitchers pulling the ball from the glove, putting the hands back together, and pitching. No one complained it was illegal, but I'd sure call it now. Maybe it was a rule once, maybe it's a coaching meme. Who knows.

I had to listen to a parent for two innings this week at a high school game who cried the opposing pitcher wasn't "presenting". The problem? Nothing: she came onto the pitching plate with hands separated, ball in glove. You never saw the ball until it was over her head. Completely legal.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Here we are with the season barely getting underway, or still a month away in colder climes, and this is already the third question I've seen about pitchers pausing with their hands separated and "presenting" the ball.

And so it goes...

As far as I know (since it was before my time) there used to be some description of how the pitcher "presented" the ball before pitching. No, I don't know exactly what a pitcher had to do to meet that requirement, but my understanding is that it was eliminated about 30 years ago and replaced with the "pitching preliminaries" we see today.

The only softball rule book I'm aware of that still says anything about "presenting the ball" is USSSA, and that's just for slow pitch.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Here we are with the season barely getting underway, or still a month away in colder climes, and this is already the third question I've seen about pitchers pausing with their hands separated and "presenting" the ball.

And so it goes...

As far as I know (since it was before my time) there used to be some description of how the pitcher "presented" the ball before pitching. No, I don't know exactly what a pitcher had to do to meet that requirement, but my understanding is that it was eliminated about 30 years ago and replaced with the "pitching preliminaries" we see today.

The only softball rule book I'm aware of that still says anything about "presenting the ball" is USSSA, and that's just for slow pitch.
Every year, I say that I think it used to be a rule in Little League, where many rule myths come from, but I never get around to checking.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every year, I say that I think it used to be a rule in Little League, where many rule myths come from, but I never get around to checking.

Please do. I have long since wonder where this particular verbiage came from.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

And so it goes...

U-trip slow pitch:
Sec. 4. PITCHER’S LEGAL MOTIONS ALLOWED IN ACTUAL DELIVERY OF
THE PITCH.
A. After assuming the pitching position on the pitcher’s plate or in the pitching
area, the pitcher must present the ball in FRONT OF HIS BODY (for at least one
second) in either one or both hands before starting the delivery motions. Note: All
pitching rules that apply to the pitcher’s actions before and during the release of the
pitch along with the restrictions on height, speed, etc., shall remain the same.
B. The pitcher may hold or grip the ball in any manner before delivery.
C. Only a definite underhand motion is permitted in the delivery of the pitch.
D. The pitcher may release the pitched ball in any manner when delivering the
pitch. This includes any and all types of delivery.
EFFECT Sec. A-D.After the pitcher presents the ball, he may make any windup or arm motions
desired, either in front of his body, above his head or behind his back, including stops
and pauses in these motions.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Little League web site, in a rule comparison list, says the pitching delivery is the same as NFHS.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

When I was a rookie, some 22 years ago, I remember this being discussed as a recent change. Not sure exactly how recent, at that point, the change was - but apparently the rule was not that you had to step on with the hands separated, but rather that you had to pause with the ball and hand in glove for at least a second, similar to the U-Trip rule posted above.

So I suspect this changed somewhere around 1990-1993.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 06, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have saved the 1992 exam. (I know, don't ask why!)

Question # 38: It is an illegal pitch when the pitcher steps on the pitcher's plate with the ball hidden in her glove, then brings her hands together for one second.

The correct answer was FALSE.

".... then brings her hands together ..." implies (but does not actually state)that her hands were apart when she stepped on the pitcher's plate.

This was the oldest reference that I could find relative to the "presenting" issue.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

1936 rules -

Preliminary to pitching, the pitcher shall take his position facing the batsman, with both feet squarely on the ground and both feet on top of the pitcher's plate. The ball shall be held in both hands in front of the body.

No statement concerning presenting the ball, only that the pitch starts when on hand is removed from the ball and that hand shall not touch the ball again prior to the delivery of the ball to the batsman
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
1936 rules -
You've been umpiring that long????????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
You've been umpiring that long????????
And people still question me
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NOT Little League.

Rita