The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Quick Pitch

OBR addresses the quick pitch with regard to the batter, but I can find no provision as to quick-pitching a runner.

Am I right in thinking that the runner must ask for time or the batter must step out and do the same to afford the the runner the opportunity to dust himself off?

Without asking for time, may the pitcher get the ball back, quickly come set, and deliver the pitch while the runner is still face down in the dirt? It seems a little unfair to the runner to force him to dive back (maybe repeatedly) and then rush through the set position while he is spitting the grit out of his teeth. It seems unfair, but that's how I read it. Thoughts?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Seriously? Quick pitch a RUNNER? Can F1 pitch to a runner?

Assuming you're serious, no, there's no such thing. F1 cannot quick pitch, but that has nothing to do with the runner. If the runner needs more time, he can ask for it.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts are:

1. You have played very little baseball.
2. You are way over-thinking this.
3. as already stated, "are you serious?"
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven K View Post
Without asking for time, may the pitcher get the ball back, quickly come set, and deliver the pitch while the runner is still face down in the dirt? It seems a little unfair to the runner to force him to dive back (maybe repeatedly) and then rush through the set position while he is spitting the grit out of his teeth.
What runner or umpire would come even close to letting this happen?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I have seen what the OP describes attempted in travel ball involving young players (12U, 10U, etc.). However, the young pitcher often commits any number of violations in trying to get a pitch to the batter quickly while the runner is "face down in the dirt". Among them I've seen have been:
-not coming to a complete stop in the set position.
-contacting the pitcher's plate with his pivot foot while bringing the hands together, thus not taking a sign (or simulating taking a sign) while in contact with the pitcher's plate (which we all know is to keep the pitcher from quick pitching the batter).
-being so concerned with pitching quickly that he fires one to the plate without realizing the batter has stepped out of the box as the pitcher feinted to the occupied base.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What runner or umpire would come even close to letting this happen?
A runner who is either not savvy or who expects that the Umpire to "help him out". But it seems to me that there is no rule for the Umpire to act on here if the pitcher is not balking and is otherwise making a legal pitch.

Most of the rules seem (to me at least) to be well-founded in a principle of fairness and I thought that maybe I was missing something in the rules or commentary with regard to the runners.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

If the runner needs more time, he should request it. The batter should also be aware if his teammate is not ready and simply request time himself before getting in the batters box.

ps. don't insult the gentleman who asked the question in the OP. He wasn't rude or insulting and we shouldn't be either.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OBR addresses the quick pitch with regard to the batter, but I can find no provision as to quick-pitching a runner.

Am I right in thinking that the runner must ask for time or the batter must step out and do the same to afford the the runner the opportunity to dust himself off?

Without asking for time, may the pitcher get the ball back, quickly come set, and deliver the pitch while the runner is still face down in the dirt? It seems a little unfair to the runner to force him to dive back (maybe repeatedly) and then rush through the set position while he is spitting the grit out of his teeth. It seems unfair, but that's how I read it. Thoughts?
It is not unfair, it is the runner's job to pay attention and know where the ball is. As long as F1 is not committing a balk on the pick-off (there is no quick pitch to a runner), let the runner beware.

F1 also does not have to come set, he can attempt a pick-off while not engaged with the rubber. Again, let the runner beware. Also, that's what they invented base coaches for. Unlike some who stand around with their thumbs up their behinds, complaining about every call, the base coach is supposed assist the runner as to when to go or return.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
...the young pitcher often commits any number of violations...

-contacting the pitcher's plate with his pivot foot while bringing the hands together, thus not taking a sign (or simulating taking a sign) while in contact with the pitcher's plate (which we all know is to keep the pitcher from quick pitching the batter).

Could you explain this a bit more? Isn't the pivot foot supposed to be on the rubber when the the hands come together? Do you mean starting with the hands together and then stepping on to the rubber? Sort of as a shortcut to coming properly set from a hands apart (getting the sign) to hands together (set)? If a guy is trying to get a pitch off before the runner is ready he might not bother looking for a sign.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
It is not unfair, it is the runner's job to pay attention and know where the ball is. As long as F1 is not committing a balk on the pick-off (there is no quick pitch to a runner), let the runner beware.
The OP wasn't talking about the pick-off attempt but rather the next pitch after a pick-off attempt in which the runner had to dive back to the base.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Could you explain this a bit more? Isn't the pivot foot supposed to be on the rubber when the the hands come together? Do you mean starting with the hands together and then stepping on to the rubber? Sort of as a shortcut to coming properly set from a hands apart (getting the sign) to hands together (set)? If a guy is trying to get a pitch off before the runner is ready he might not bother looking for a sign.
He's referring to the first part of the pitching regulations; see rule 8.01:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBR Rule 8.01
Legal pitching delivery. There are two legal pitching positions, the Windup Position and the Set Position, and either position may be used at any time.

Pitchers shall take signs from the catcher while in contact with the pitcher’s plate.

Rule 8.01 Comment: Pitchers may disengage the rubber after taking their signs but may not step quickly onto the rubber and pitch. This may be judged a quick pitch by the umpire. When the pitcher disengages the rubber, he must drop his hands to his sides.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
he's referring to the first part of the pitching regulations; see rule 8.01:
+1
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 08:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

A good batter steps out of the box on a pick-off attempt, guaranteeing that the runner will have time to get ready before the batter steps back in.