The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

bat list

Beginning the pre season meetings and making sure I'm right with this year's bat list for Fed. I'm finding the photo on the ASA site with 20 bats. Is this the one we're using? Thanks.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

After looking closer, I found the shorter list that has 9 bats. These have the 2004 mark but have been re-tested and are no longer allowed. This is what I need for my upcoming high school meetings.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 08:23am
Call it as I see it.

Here is the Multi page official ASA link for banned bats this one shows 1 row at a time bigger pictures

Here is the 1 page official ASA link for banned bats this one shows pictures of all the bats but much smaller
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
After looking closer, I found the shorter list that has 9 bats. These have the 2004 mark but have been re-tested and are no longer allowed. This is what I need for my upcoming high school meetings.
That is not accurate. NFHS 1-5-d allows bats with both 2004 OR 2000 ASA bat certification that are not on the Non-Approved bat list.

Repeat for those that believe the myth; bats with the 2000 bat certification are legal in NFHS unless they are on the (longer; all bats with 2000 or 2004 certifications, currently 29 bats) Non-Approved bat list.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Mon Feb 02, 2015 at 11:41am.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that both marks are legal in Fed. I give our guys the shorter, 2004 only list because it is a rarity that we see a bat that has the 2000 mark. It's easier for them to have in their hand when checking bats.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 07:16pm
Administrator

All right, now I am really confused.

Could somebody break it down the requirements by ASA, NFHS, NCAA, and NAIA. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Not that complicated, it's the shortcuts and liberties people take that make it appear complicated.

ASA fastpitch: Bat must have ASA 2000 cert, OR, 2004 cert, OR, in umpires judgment be manufactured prior to 2000 and comply in every other way, AND (in all cases) not be on the ASA NonApproved list.

ASA slowpitch: Bat must have ASA 2000 cert, OR, 2004 cert, OR, 2013 cert, OR, in umpires judgment be manufactured prior to 2000 and comply in every other way, AND (in all cases) not be on the ASA NonApproved list.

NFHS: Bat must have ASA 2000 cert, OR, 2004 cert, AND (in all cases) not be on the ASA NonApproved list.

NCAA: Bat must have ASA 2004 cert, AND not be on the ASA NonApproved list, AND must be on the NCAA Approved List, AND must be highlighted, counted, and inspected pregame as part of that team's bat list.

NAIA: Identical to NCAA in every way. Uses all NCAA rules, protocols, and procedures.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 08:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Not that complicated, it's the shortcuts and liberties people take that make it appear complicated.

ASA fastpitch: Bat must have ASA 2000 cert, OR, 2004 cert, OR, in umpires judgment be manufactured prior to 2000 and comply in every other way, AND (in all cases) not be on the ASA NonApproved list.

ASA slowpitch: Bat must have ASA 2000 cert, OR, 2004 cert, OR, 2013 cert, OR, in umpires judgment be manufactured prior to 2000 and comply in every other way, AND (in all cases) not be on the ASA NonApproved list.

NFHS: Bat must have ASA 2000 cert, OR, 2004 cert, AND (in all cases) not be on the ASA NonApproved list.

NCAA: Bat must have ASA 2004 cert, AND not be on the ASA NonApproved list, AND must be on the NCAA Approved List, AND must be highlighted, counted, and inspected pregame as part of that team's bat list.

NAIA: Identical to NCAA in every way. Uses all NCAA rules, protocols, and procedures.

Mark, Jr., and I thank you for the break down. This is the time of Rules Difference that the NFHS should put on its website.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In the interest of completeness, JO Boy's Fastpitch, Men's Fastpitch, and Men's Modified are allowed to use bats with the 2013 ASA cert. The bat must not be on the ASA NonApproved list.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is not accurate. NFHS 1-5-d allows bats with both 2004 OR 2000 ASA bat certification that are not on the Non-Approved bat list.

Repeat for those that believe the myth; bats with the 2000 bat certification are legal in NFHS unless they are on the (longer; all bats with 2000 or 2004 certifications, currently 29 bats) Non-Approved bat list.
However, state high school associations may adopt/amend the rules to only recognize the 2004 certification. PA is one such state. PA also uses a slightly different bat list; it is the bats with 2004's plus the Reebok Vector O.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2015, 05:59pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
However, state high school associations may adopt/amend the rules to only recognize the 2004 certification. PA is one such state. PA also uses a slightly different bat list; it is the bats with 2004's plus the Reebok Vector O.
Reebok Vector O is a baseball bat and is not legal for Softball additionally it is illegal for Baseball also due to the holes in the handle.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Reebok Vector O is a baseball bat and is not legal for Softball additionally it is illegal for Baseball also due to the holes in the handle.
There is a softball version (marketed under "slow pitch") which is ASA legal. Model VOASP.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 12:32am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
There is a softball version (marketed under "slow pitch") which is ASA legal. Model VOASP.
have never seen this one
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

OK, Mike, there is your class.

(posted only for IrishMafia)