The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

ASA and no one on base. Batter hits a ball to the fence. As the batter-runner rounds 1st they are obstructed. Runner now continues on rounding 2nd and 3rd and heads for home. Close play at home and runner is tagged just before reaching the plate.

Is obstruction still in play? If the runner hadn't been obstructed this would have been and inside the parker. Is obstruction off because the play wasn't at 2nd base?

I've tried to understand the rule as written and it isn't clear in my old and worn out brain.

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

You already answered your own question. You said absent the obstruction it would have been a parker. The obstruction rule states at the conclusion of play you award the base or bases the runner would have reached absent the obstruction.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 11:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
You already answered your own question. You said absent the obstruction it would have been a parker. The obstruction rule states at the conclusion of play you award the base or bases the runner would have reached absent the obstruction.

I agree with your conclusion, but after you call the R out, then call time and award R Home, I am sure that you will be ejecting the Defensive HC shortly thereafter, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I agree with your conclusion, but after you call the R out, then call time and award R Home, I am sure that you will be ejecting the Defensive HC shortly thereafter, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Almost correct.

You do NOT call the R out. The approved ruling and mechanic is to NOT call the out if you will then need to reverse that out. According to RS #36, Call "Dead Ball" (not time, that is baseball) if/when the obstructed runner is apparently out before reaching the base you judge she would have reached, and award the appropriate base (the one she would have reached, in your judgement, had she not been obstructed).
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
ASA and no one on base. Batter hits a ball to the fence. As the batter-runner rounds 1st they are obstructed. Runner now continues on rounding 2nd and 3rd and heads for home. Close play at home and runner is tagged just before reaching the plate.

Is obstruction still in play? If the runner hadn't been obstructed this would have been and inside the parker. Is obstruction off because the play wasn't at 2nd base?

I've tried to understand the rule as written and it isn't clear in my old and worn out brain.

Thanks
Now for the correct answer

If you were not the umpire who ruled the OBS, you call the play that unfolds in front of you. If the runner was out, you call the out. At that point, the ball is dead and you and your partner talk and apply any ruling necessary. Do NOT assume you know your partner's call.

If you were the umpire who ruled the OBS and the runner had not reached the base to which s/he was protected, call "dead ball", announce the violation and award.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Jan 29, 2015 at 09:53pm.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now for the correct answer

If you were the umpire who ruled the OBS, you call the play that unfolds in front of you...
In the first example, I'm assuming that you mean, "If you were NOT the umpire who ruled OBS".
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Almost correct.

You do NOT call the R out. The approved ruling and mechanic is to NOT call the out if you will then need to reverse that out. According to RS #36, Call "Dead Ball" (not time, that is baseball) if/when the obstructed runner is apparently out before reaching the base you judge she would have reached, and award the appropriate base (the one she would have reached, in your judgement, had she not been obstructed).
This only works if the umpire who called the obstruction and knows the award base he's going to give is also the umpire who calls the runner out. In the OP, those would have been 2 different umpires. PU would not know BU's award judgement was home. If there was another runner on, PU might not even know there was obstruction at first.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
..... In the OP, those would have been 2 different umpires......
Where did anybody say they were in a two umpire system????

Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

It was a one umpire scenario. Thanks guys! I've heard so many different things about obstruction and awards recently I decided to "re-read" the book and see if I could understand and I couldn't. Book for my head ain't clear on this subject......too complicated, but, it's complicated I guess to explain all the nuances to obstruction.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't the Ump calling the Obstruction have his left hand out in a fist ? So I would say just about everyone should know there's an Obstructed runner during the play.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
In the first example, I'm assuming that you mean, "If you were NOT the umpire who ruled OBS".
Yes, thank you for the proof read
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
Shouldn't the Ump calling the Obstruction have his left hand out in a fist ? So I would say just about everyone should know there's an Obstructed runner during the play.
You are correct, the umpire that calls the obstruction should indicate that with a delayed dead ball signal.

Everybody knows there is obstruction, but the only person that knows how far that runner is protected due to the obstruction is the umpire.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Also, you don't run around the field with your arm out. You signal it, hold it, and drop it. With multiple runners it would be easy for one or more umpires to have not seen your signal... and as Andy said, none of them know what your award is.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

1) Please confirm that is also correct for NFHS.
2) If other runners, is it last base touched or the "half-way rule" on the dead ball?
3) How do we avoid penalizing the defense with the dead ball, if they could get another out?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
1) Please confirm that is also correct for NFHS.
2) If other runners, is it last base touched or the "half-way rule" on the dead ball?
3) How do we avoid penalizing the defense with the dead ball, if they could get another out?
I'm not Steve, but I will share my thoughts....

1. Not sure on the NFHS guideline, but I have always handled it the same as ASA.

2. It is the Umpire's judgement. Benefit of the doubt goes to the offense.

3. The DEFENSE committed the violation by Obstructing the runner in the first place. If Why should they benefit by being allowed to get additional outs?