The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 10:59am
Administrator

Proud Papa.

This past Saturday, Mark, Jr., attended a college softball umpire's clinic. When the clinic was over the chief clinician who assigns NCAA Div. II and III, NAIA, and jr. college softball for all of Michigan and most of Ohio told Junior that he was going to put him on his staff for the 2015 college season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Congrats.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Congrats.
to Jr
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

congrats
that's a good step to make
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This past Saturday, Mark, Jr., attended a college softball umpire's clinic. When the clinic was over the chief clinician who assigns NCAA Div. II and III, NAIA, and jr. college softball for all of Michigan and most of Ohio told Junior that he was going to put him on his staff for the 2015 college season.
What does a staffer do once on the staff of a clinician/assignor?

Not being sarcastic here... Trying to understand some of the who does what behind the scenes.

Thanx.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 03:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
What does a staffer do once on the staff of a clinician/assignor?

Not being sarcastic here... Trying to understand some of the who does what behind the scenes.

Thanx.

Umpiring.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 02, 2014, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

So, essentially that same things he was doing before being a staffer?

Any extra pay? You obviously are proud of him, but why? Are you a staffer as well? Ever been one? Should every Joe Umpire aspire to be a staffer? Why?

Thanx.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2014, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any extra pay? You obviously are proud of him, but why? Are you a staffer as well? Ever been one? Should every Joe Umpire aspire to be a staffer? Why?

Thanx.

MTD, Jr. got "picked up" to do college ball. He was essentially "recruited". He now joins the "staff" of, oh let's say, 100 other "staff members" who umpire college ball for Div II and III in Mich/Ohio.

Extra pay? Yes. It's like going from playing independent league ball to going to the AAA. It's a big jump in pay and responsibilities. Most college assignors will not just pick anyone to join their "staff". To work college ball, you have to be seen and be a pretty decent to good umpire.

He's proud of him because that's his son! And, while every Joe Umpire shouldn't aspire to be a collegiate umpire, they should all aspire to be the best they can be.

I hope that helps.

On a related note - I go for my formal evaluation this Sunday to work collegiate level ball for several DII conferences and in some of my other evaluations last weekend and the one before, have been starting to get noticed and asked if I have interest in pursuing DI ball. If all goes well this weekend, it will be a major step in moving in the right direction toward my ultimate goal - to be the best umpire I can be and to work postseason big time games at the highest level.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Thu Oct 02, 2014 at 07:05pm.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2014, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
On a related note - I go for my formal evaluation this Sunday to work collegiate level ball for several DII conferences and in some of my other evaluations last weekend and the one before, have been starting to get noticed and asked if I have interest in pursuing DI ball. If all goes well this weekend, it will be a major step in moving in the right direction toward my ultimate goal - to be the best umpire I can be and to work postseason big time games at the highest level.
And to you I say, "good luck and congratulations." Its a wonderful feeling when you know you are reaching personal goals you set for yourself.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2014, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanx.
The clinician/assigner that MTD Sr. referred to is one of the 41 NCAA Conference Coordinators who assign umpires for the NCAA's 44 DIII and 24 DIII softball conferences nationwide. Additionally, there are 17 Conference Coordinators who assign umpires for the 31 NCAA DI conferences. Many of these Conference Coordinators assign for multiple conferences and at multiple levels…DI, DII, DIII.
The coordinators have rosters (or if you will, staffs) of umpires for each conferences they assign. During the summer and fall they attend camps, showcases, and in some instances, conduct their own formal tryout/evaluation event (you go there to get a job) in an ongoing effort to continually to be on the lookout for new talented umpires to add to their rosters; and to observe/evaluate umpires currently on their roster.
So come spring, yes, MTD Jr. will be umpiring NCAA DIII and DII (along with some JUCO and NAIA) softball.
MTD Sr. has every reason to be a proud Papa. MTD Jr. has every reason to be proud of his accomplishment progress a young umpire.
I wish him the best of luck on his first step on his next road of his umpiring journey.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2014, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
MTD Sr. has every reason to be a proud Papa. MTD Jr. has every reason to be proud of his accomplishment progress a young umpire.
I wish him the best of luck on his first step on his next road of his umpiring journey.
Now that I understand the process a little better, I'll offer my congratulations to both as well. Had I taken up an invitation to work in the college arena a few years ago, I might have had a better idea of how things worked. But I couldn't make that commitment at the time.

So good luck to Jr., and happy for Sr. to see his son advancing.