Thread: Proud Papa.
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 02, 2014, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
So, essentially that same things he was doing before being a staffer?

Any extra pay? You obviously are proud of him, but why? Are you a staffer as well? Ever been one? Should every Joe Umpire aspire to be a staffer? Why?

Thanx.

MTD, Jr. got "picked up" to do college ball. He was essentially "recruited". He now joins the "staff" of, oh let's say, 100 other "staff members" who umpire college ball for Div II and III in Mich/Ohio.

Extra pay? Yes. It's like going from playing independent league ball to going to the AAA. It's a big jump in pay and responsibilities. Most college assignors will not just pick anyone to join their "staff". To work college ball, you have to be seen and be a pretty decent to good umpire.

He's proud of him because that's his son! And, while every Joe Umpire shouldn't aspire to be a collegiate umpire, they should all aspire to be the best they can be.

I hope that helps.

On a related note - I go for my formal evaluation this Sunday to work collegiate level ball for several DII conferences and in some of my other evaluations last weekend and the one before, have been starting to get noticed and asked if I have interest in pursuing DI ball. If all goes well this weekend, it will be a major step in moving in the right direction toward my ultimate goal - to be the best umpire I can be and to work postseason big time games at the highest level.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Thu Oct 02, 2014 at 07:05pm.