The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Kills the Scissors

Any thoughts on the NCAA's decision to prohibit the use of the scissors?

The two justifications where (1) inaccurate/inconsistent strike zone and (2) umpires setting up where their heads where in a dangerous position (leading to more injuries).

I wonder if many who were observed working the scissors would have these problems regardless of their stance.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

I pretty sure this wasn't an "NCAA" decision but one made by a group that apparently thinks it must change something every year to justify their positions.

The justifications are ridiculous. If it were really about inaccurate/inconsistent strike zones, they'd ban the heel/toe stance. Most of the bad zones I see are from officials using it. Of course, it has nothing to do with the type of stance they use. Their zone would be bad in any stance. I never was comfortable in the scissors, but I do know several umpires who have very good zones who are. IMO, the umpire with the best zone in the last several WCWS uses it.

I'm not sure a PU's head is in that much different a location in the scissors than other stances. I've never really paid much attention I guess. I haven't heard of an elevated number of injuries either.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 12:47pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post

The two justifications where (1) inaccurate/inconsistent strike zone and (2) umpires setting up where their heads where in a dangerous position (leading to more injuries).

I wonder if many who were observed working the scissors would have these problems regardless of their stance.
Where in the world are the umpires' heads when they use the scissors that it would increase injuries? Aren't they still in the slot? I'm confused. I don't ever see the scissors anymore since I moved over from baseball, and I really never paid attention during the WCWS.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
THAT DOES IT! No more NCAA Championships for me.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sketchy on the details and can't really search right now...

Didn't MLB, or the umpire's union, ban the scissors a decade ago? If I remember, there were some sort of concerns with back or neck injuries. I don't remember there being anything about the accuracy of calling pitches.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 02:00pm
Administrator

Quote:

EsqUmp:

Do you have a website URL that you can post with this information? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
EsqUmp:

Do you have a website URL that you can post with this information? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
email:

"From the SUP for those of you who do not have access:

~~7/28/2014Notes from the National Coordinator - August 2014
“There is nothing permanent except change.”
Heraclitus

Greetings,
I would like to take this opportunity to update you on a mechanic change that will occur in the 2015-2016 season. After research, the scissor stance for plate umpires will no longer be approved by the SUP. This stance puts the umpires in greater jeopardy to sustain a possible injury when hit by a foul ball. It also has shown a greater inconsistency in strike zones across the country. One of this years focus points is strike zone accuracy. Umpires should to be in the slot, head height should be at the top of the strike zone and no lower than the top of the catcher’s helmet. Please review the criteria for a called ball or strike within the current rules book.

This fall there are two new experimental rules. The first concerns the ball. Teams will collect data on the new experimental ball during the fall season. Selected teams will compare the new ball with the traditional ball using the following guidelines:
1. Have a dozen experimental balls and a dozen traditional balls rubbed up prior to the game.
2. Using a permanent marker, mark the experimental balls with a mark large enough to distinguish it from the other dozen but not so large as it will be distracting to the players.
3. Place the dozen experimental balls in a ball bucket in the on-deck circle or at the entrance to the dugout on the first base side and a bucket with the traditional balls in the on-deck circle or at the entrance to the dugout on the third base side. Umpires do not need to manage ball rotation from their ball bags but instead allow the teams to put balls in play from their bucket in appropriate innings.
4. Establish a ground rule to “play on without regard to if it is the offensive or defensive team’s bucket” should the bucket come into play.
5. Experimental balls will be used in odd innings and traditional balls in even innings.
6. To ensure the validity of the data, participating coaches should comment on their experience through the on-line survey as soon as possible.
The second experimental rule concerns teams line-ups. Teams will be able to use “LINKS” instead of the DP/Flex or DH rules. This is only allowed in FALL softball.
The advantage of “Links” is its simplicity. There are 10 players in the line-up with two sharing the same spot in the batting order (LINKS). Either player may occupy that spot when on offense, any time, any number of times and nine of the 10 players must play defense. Teams may still select to play with nine as in the past with the same restrictions. There is no change in this line-up. (See power point under General Umpiring Information)

I have had the opportunity to work with many of you over the summer at various camps. I ask that you study the manual. The material in the manual will allow you to be in the best position to see the play and make an accurate judgment. See the play develop. Work for proper positioning which has two criteria: angle and distance. Adjust your position to see all of the elements in front of you: the ball, base, fielder and the runner. And finally develop good timing. Observe the play; gather all the information you need to make the correct call. Then make the call and apply the correct signal to convey your decision.
Continue working hard to improve. The fall season is just around the corner. Keep in mind that the two experimental rules are only to be used during the fall season if both coaches agree.
Remember our mantra:

Every pitch, every play every time!
Donna Vavrinec
National Coordinator
"
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 04:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
email:

"From the SUP for those of you who do not have access:

~~7/28/2014Notes from the National Coordinator - August 2014
“There is nothing permanent except change.”
Heraclitus

Greetings,
I would like to take this opportunity to update you on a mechanic change that will occur in the 2015-2016 season. After research, the scissor stance for plate umpires will no longer be approved by the SUP. This stance puts the umpires in greater jeopardy to sustain a possible injury when hit by a foul ball. It also has shown a greater inconsistency in strike zones across the country. One of this years focus points is strike zone accuracy. Umpires should to be in the slot, head height should be at the top of the strike zone and no lower than the top of the catcher’s helmet. Please review the criteria for a called ball or strike within the current rules book.

This fall there are two new experimental rules. The first concerns the ball. Teams will collect data on the new experimental ball during the fall season. Selected teams will compare the new ball with the traditional ball using the following guidelines:
1. Have a dozen experimental balls and a dozen traditional balls rubbed up prior to the game.
2. Using a permanent marker, mark the experimental balls with a mark large enough to distinguish it from the other dozen but not so large as it will be distracting to the players.
3. Place the dozen experimental balls in a ball bucket in the on-deck circle or at the entrance to the dugout on the first base side and a bucket with the traditional balls in the on-deck circle or at the entrance to the dugout on the third base side. Umpires do not need to manage ball rotation from their ball bags but instead allow the teams to put balls in play from their bucket in appropriate innings.
4. Establish a ground rule to “play on without regard to if it is the offensive or defensive team’s bucket” should the bucket come into play.
5. Experimental balls will be used in odd innings and traditional balls in even innings.
6. To ensure the validity of the data, participating coaches should comment on their experience through the on-line survey as soon as possible.
The second experimental rule concerns teams line-ups. Teams will be able to use “LINKS” instead of the DP/Flex or DH rules. This is only allowed in FALL softball.
The advantage of “Links” is its simplicity. There are 10 players in the line-up with two sharing the same spot in the batting order (LINKS). Either player may occupy that spot when on offense, any time, any number of times and nine of the 10 players must play defense. Teams may still select to play with nine as in the past with the same restrictions. There is no change in this line-up. (See power point under General Umpiring Information)

I have had the opportunity to work with many of you over the summer at various camps. I ask that you study the manual. The material in the manual will allow you to be in the best position to see the play and make an accurate judgment. See the play develop. Work for proper positioning which has two criteria: angle and distance. Adjust your position to see all of the elements in front of you: the ball, base, fielder and the runner. And finally develop good timing. Observe the play; gather all the information you need to make the correct call. Then make the call and apply the correct signal to convey your decision.
Continue working hard to improve. The fall season is just around the corner. Keep in mind that the two experimental rules are only to be used during the fall season if both coaches agree.
Remember our mantra:

Every pitch, every play every time!
Donna Vavrinec
National Coordinator
"

Thanks Cecil.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Where in the world are the umpires' heads when they use the scissors that it would increase injuries? Aren't they still in the slot? I'm confused. I don't ever see the scissors anymore since I moved over from baseball, and I really never paid attention during the WCWS.
I would think the position minimizes the protection afforded by the throat protector/extended mask.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

head height should be at the top of the strike zone and no lower than the top of the catcher’s helmet

While I understand why this is preferred, what if it isn't possible?

You get a catcher like Nuvey in front of you, this may be a tad difficult for some batters.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The CCA Manual points out the differences on page 37.

"All of the stances except the Scissors Stance require you to position your head in the slot in order to see the outside corner. The Scissors Stance has you position your inside ear on the inside corner of the plate with an ubobsrtucted view of the entire plate. This should be your starting position and adjust only when the batter is legally crowding the plate and/or the catcher is legally setting up inside, in order to see the pitch. This is a situational mechanic, not a starting position for every batter. You need to be set when the pitch is released and if you need to, adjust your position for a better view." (bolded as is from CCA 2014 Manual)

I assume this means putting your eyes over the inside half of the plate. That said, the umpires I noticed using the scissors this season still seemed to be pretty well in the slot (outside ear[away from batter] on inside edge of plate).

I don't work the scissors, so I can't comment: Can you see from the slot using the scissors? I don't know why you couldn't, other than the manual says to do otherwise.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2014, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

With some odd, undiagnosed pain in my right hip in the middle of my college season, I switched from the Gerry Davis to the scissors, which I had worked many times before. I set up correctly in the slot, I can see everything clearly and I had no problems.

MLB did not ban the scissors like some have suggested. Anyone with a tv and an interest in baseball ought to know that. I wonder what NCAA baseball's perspective is on this.

Last edited by EsqUmp; Thu Jul 31, 2014 at 05:34pm.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2014, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MLB did not ban the slot like some have suggested. Anyone with a tv and an interest in baseball ought to know that.
(I assume that you mean "scissors", not "slot")

It was grandfathered for umpires already in the majors and using it. It's use was prohibited for new and incoming umpires.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Interesting move by SUP, I started using the scissors two years ago and felt more balanced and comfort than any other stance.

As for injuries, if setup is not correct it could lead to knee and/or lower back issues but then again, how many times have we known or heard of fellow umpires getting hit by a tipped ball or pitch and breaking their arm(s) while being locking into the GD? In the last two years I've had more tipped balls pass by me than hit me while in the scissor stance.

But, as I say, when in Rome......

Oh, and it wasn't that long ago the SUP said that if the catcher moved, the umpire needed to slide with the catcher, awkward move if locked in and then the catcher moves?
Old Sat Aug 02, 2014, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringtownHawk View Post
Interesting move by SUP, I started using the scissors two years ago and felt more balanced and comfort than any other stance.

As for injuries, if setup is not correct it could lead to knee and/or lower back issues but then again, how many times have we known or heard of fellow umpires getting hit by a tipped ball or pitch and breaking their arm(s) while being locking into the GD? In the last two years I've had more tipped balls pass by me than hit me while in the scissor stance.

But, as I say, when in Rome......

Oh, and it wasn't that long ago the SUP said that if the catcher moved, the umpire needed to slide with the catcher, awkward move if locked in and then the catcher moves?
I have never heard of anyone breaking their arm using the Davis.

I've used it since '09 and haven't had an issue.