The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Texas HS/club ball coach rules

Anyone here that works school ball in Texas familiar with the rules regarding hs coaches also coaching club teams?

Looks like my kid is relocating to Dallas and will be the schools varsity head coach. Want to find out what the rules are regarding her also working with club teams so she does not violate any rules.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 10:50am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Anyone here that works school ball in Texas familiar with the rules regarding hs coaches also coaching club teams?

Looks like my kid is relocating to Dallas and will be the schools varsity head coach. Want to find out what the rules are regarding her also working with club teams so she does not violate any rules.

I would suggest that she talk with her A.D. and also contact the StateHSAA for Texas to get the coaching rules that pertain to her sport.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Texas UIL

Here is the web site for Texas high school sports. You should find what you need here. My understanding is a high school can coach a summer team but not their own.

UILTexas.org/athletics
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Ask on heybucket.com
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

According to that UIL link and article 1209, HS coaches cannot coach or instruct players from within their schools attendance zone. I have seen other states with rules that limit the number of players a HS coach can have on his team, but have not seen a complete restriction as it appears Texas has.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post

Everything you need to know is right here.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Everything you need to know is right here.
Noticed this in that file:

SUNDAY PROHIBITION. A League participant school shall not participate in any athletic contest or conduct any
practice or teach any plays, formations or skills on Sunday

My first thought was "Ew".
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post

SUNDAY PROHIBITION. A League participant school shall not participate in any athletic contest or conduct any

The State of Texas used to have "Blue Laws" and some business couldn't be open on Sunday. The laws have changed quite a bit but car dealerships can be open on either Saturday or Sunday, but not both. Beer, wine, and liquor sales are also affected after 9 PM or on Sunday.

There are other quirks to the law.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 03:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post

Ew what? There are still communities that feel Sunday should be observed as a day of rest in accordance with the teachings of Christian faith. No big deal.

When my son played LL Baseball, our local league never scheduled any activities on Sunday mornings, when many people were attending worship services. Make-ups for rescheduled games would be played Sunday afternoons, if we couldn't accommodate them any other days.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 04:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Ew what? There are still communities that feel
Entire communities? Sucks to be Jewish or some other non-Christian in that community then, doesn't it?
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

From a Texas coach

In Texas, coaches may not work with their own players during out of school times such as summer. This includes anyone in 7th - 12th grade who lives in the school's boundries. However, a coach can work camps or coach teams if the kids are from other schools.

I work at a big summer camp in the Austin area and one of the first things we do is ask what schools the kids are going to and then make sure they end up with other coaches.

On a side note, a lot of less scrupulous coaches arrange to "swap" teams with a nearby friend or use a parent as a figure head while they pull all the strings at practices & games.

By the way, UIL rules only apply to schools and coaches, not other teams. A team nit governed by UIL can play on sundays, recruit from outside their town, etc.

Last edited by Rich1; Fri Jul 18, 2014 at 05:58pm.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I thought Michigan was a pain with their 3 person, 4 person, and out of season rules (down time, dead period, ect).

At least the Texas rule is real simple to understand, don't do it.

I wonder if the Texas rule has an exception for children of the coach.

We had a debate in Michigan a few years back because a coach was violating an out of season coaching rule by coach her own child during a dead period. A rival school coach saw this coach "practicing" with the child and reported it. To my knowledge nothing came of it, but I never heard either way.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 01:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
We had a debate in Michigan a few years back because a coach was violating an out of season coaching rule by coach her own child during a dead period. A rival school coach saw this coach "practicing" with the child and reported it. To my knowledge nothing came of it, but I never heard either way.
Typical rat coach.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker