The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2014, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

buried 2nd base

Worked this weekend at fields that were covered in deep dirt/sand. 2nd base was also recessed down into the ground to the point where it was impossible to keep it clean or even visable no matter how many times I cleaned it. Anytime a fielder or runner would come near it, it would become totally covered with no sense of it's location.

So, no one on. I'm in A. Batter hits a shot to left. She hits 1st, heads toward 2nd and we both realize that we can't see the outline of the base. Runner hits what she (and I) both think is the corner of the base (we can't really tell) runs about 15 feet toward 3rd then looks at me and asks "did I hit the base"? Without really thinking I said "yes". By that time the throw came into 3rd. The runner ran back toward 2nd and when F4 (who was covering) came toward the bag area, her feet kicked up dirt, revealing a corner of the bag. Runner arrives safely. Play over.

So in retrospect, should I have said anything to the runner when she asked if she hit the bag? I thought to say nothing was wrong (given the circumstances). But would I have answered if the bag was easy to see? I don't know. What do you think?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Since you are not a coach, I would recommending not coaching.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

So...if the batters box is non existant and the batter steps far up toward the pitcher and asks "am I still in the box", I should say nothing?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Apples and kumquats.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Worked this weekend at fields that were covered in deep dirt/sand. 2nd base was also recessed down into the ground to the point where it was impossible to keep it clean or even visable no matter how many times I cleaned it. Anytime a fielder or runner would come near it, it would become totally covered with no sense of it's location.

So, no one on. I'm in A. Batter hits a shot to left. She hits 1st, heads toward 2nd and we both realize that we can't see the outline of the base. Runner hits what she (and I) both think is the corner of the base (we can't really tell) runs about 15 feet toward 3rd then looks at me and asks "did I hit the base"? Without really thinking I said "yes". By that time the throw came into 3rd. The runner ran back toward 2nd and when F4 (who was covering) came toward the bag area, her feet kicked up dirt, revealing a corner of the bag. Runner arrives safely. Play over.

So in retrospect, should I have said anything to the runner when she asked if she hit the bag? I thought to say nothing was wrong (given the circumstances). But would I have answered if the bag was easy to see? I don't know. What do you think?
No, you shouldn't have said anything, but if you did say "yes", why did she go back to 2nd?

To continue, treat this situation that same as a detached base. If the runner is anywhere in the vicinity of where the base is supposed to be, consider the base touched and move on. As referring to vicinity, I'm not talking about cutting a corner by 10'. A runner usually has a pretty good idea where the base should be. If anyone wants to argue, they should take it up with the TD/complex owner/ground crew. It is NOT the umpire job to maintain the field and obviously it is not something that you can rectify.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
So...if the batters box is non existant and the batter steps far up toward the pitcher and asks "am I still in the box", I should say nothing?
Well, if you allow the pitch, by rule your answer must be yes. Otherwise, you should be holding the pitcher until the batter is in the box. And instructing the batter to do so is not coaching.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Apples and kumquats.
Kumquats, yummy!!!
Old Mon Jun 30, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, you shouldn't have said anything, but if you did say "yes", why did she go back to 2nd?
Throw came into 3rd.

Quote:
To continue, treat this situation that same as a detached base. If the runner is anywhere in the vicinity of where the base is supposed to be, consider the base touched and move on. As referring to vicinity, I'm not talking about cutting a corner by 10'. A runner usually has a pretty good idea where the base should be. If anyone wants to argue, they should take it up with the TD/complex owner/ground crew. It is NOT the umpire job to maintain the field and obviously it is not something that you can rectify.
Agree.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Because the ball was at 3B.