The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Another coach who needs to read the rulebook

I had a coach get a little testy with me during a JV game today. The reason. I told him, when he called his batter from the batter's box to meet with him at first base, that it was his offensive conference for the inning. He didn't say anything the rest of the inning, but in between innings he began arguing with me that there was no limit on "offensive conferences" because situations and plays change.

He insisted I was making up the rule because it was not written anywhere. I finally just said we are going to play ball and out an end to his discussion. He did inform me he "has been coaching for a long time and has never been limited on conferences." I just smiled and said "play ball."

Maybe he should read the rulebook a little more and argue a little less. He might also want to do a better job coaching. This occurred in a game that went an hour and 40 minutes and finished with his team losing 22-5 in 3 innings.

For the record, I think it is rule 3-7-2 that covers charged offensive conferences.

He may also want to learn how to tell players where to go. At the start of one inning we had three different players go to the pitchers plate because he told them they were pitching. Sadly, between the three of them I don't think they could get enough over the plate for a strikeout.
Old Sat May 24, 2014, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Chap don't let a coach who is clue free spoil your fun. No such thing as limited conferences? Wonder if he has heard of interference or obstruction?
Old Sat May 24, 2014, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Chap don't let a coach who is clue free spoil your fun. No such thing as limited conferences? Wonder if he has heard of interference or obstruction?
Fun it not exactly what I call being behind the plate of games that go 22-5 or something like that in 3 innings (and take almost the entire 1:45 time limit). Torture, payback, karma, maybe those, but sure not fun. And I still haven't been paid for it either (but we don't do it for the money right)
Old Sun May 25, 2014, 07:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Fun it not exactly what I call being behind the plate of games that go 22-5 or something like that in 3 innings (and take almost the entire 1:45 time limit). Torture, payback, karma, maybe those, but sure not fun. And I still haven't been paid for it either (but we don't do it for the money right)
My advice: work hard to improve and move up to varsity. You'll still have the occasional blowout and the coach who needs to be educated on the rules, but every now and then you'll get some decent games.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun May 25, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I enjoy umpiring enough that even poorly played blowouts keep me going. Being with kids, on the field, umpiring is fun.

Last edited by CecilOne; Sun May 25, 2014 at 01:30pm.
Old Sun May 25, 2014, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I enjoy umpiring enough that even poorly played blowouts keep me going. Being with kids, on the field umpiring is fun.
Be careful with talk like that
Old Sun May 25, 2014, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Be careful with talk like that
edited:
Being with kids, on the field, umpiring is fun.
Old Sun May 25, 2014, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
edited:
Being with kids, on the field, umpiring is fun.
Yet, they insist on a BI. One name for you, Stephen Darrick Turner. "on the field" and spent months in jail
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

OK, we know the problems and object to the BI(nvasion).

Mt point was that umpiring is enjoyable regardless of the game situation, not just a job for money or a get it over with. I think I am part of the record in our association, 3 hr 5 min, almost beaten by a 3 hr recently in a week of 2 1/4 hr, 2 1/ hr and the 3hr. I still enjoyed being there as part of the game.
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I think Cecil has a point. If you truly don't think it is fun, then why are you doing it?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Mon May 26, 2014 at 10:46am.
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
I think Cecil has a point. Seems like most all of your games are like this. Just about every one of your posts is of crazy plays and terrible games, coaches, or partners. If you truly don't think it is fun, then why are you doing it?

Go officiate something else.
My point was not to discourage anyone. I expect new umps to take a while to have fun, I probably didn't either at first. Crazy plays and difficult posts are part of the game and part of the forum.
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, we know the problems and object to the BI(nvasion).

Mt point was that umpiring is enjoyable regardless of the game situation, not just a job for money or a get it over with. I think I am part of the record in our association, 3 hr 5 min, almost beaten by a 3 hr recently in a week of 2 1/4 hr, 2 1/ hr and the 3hr. I still enjoyed being there as part of the game.
I understand, but lesser statements have caused the reactivists up in arms.

But I agree with you which is why the amount of games I worked over the last few years diminished dramatically. It got to the point that as soon as I showed up, I couldn't wait to leave.

I used to love to work games and often would go out of my way to talk to players after a game about a play or ruling hoping that I may actually get some players to understand. You only need one on a team to help alleviate some of the bullshit thrown at the umpires with a simple comment like, "No, that's the right call". A few of those can help the newer umpire get beyond the attempted abuse by the idiots we encounter on the field. And for every game that goes well, the possibility of retaining that umpire gets that much stronger.
Old Mon May 26, 2014, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
I think Cecil has a point. If you truly don't think it is fun, then why are you doing it?
I do enjoy it most of the time. I also make no bones about it. I am officiating for the money. I could work 8 hours and make less than $80 or umpire for 4 or 5 hours and make $80.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Tell him that if he is so sure of the rule, he should take two conferences and see what happens.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Tell him that if he is so sure of the rule, he should take two conferences and see what happens.
Wouldn't let it get to him having a second conference. When he asks for time a second time to confer with his players, request denied, play ball.

At that point we might have an issue, but I'm not going to honor the request.

Since the NFHS rulebook does not specify a penalty for excessive offensive conference requests, my policy is simply. Request for time denied, play ball. If the coach wants to argue with me, then me might be looking at a conduct issue.