The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ugggglllllyyyy

Another one of those JV DH's. I get the plate for the first game (which I hate anyway and really hated today) and things flow right along for 3 and half innings. 3-0 visitors before all heck breaks loose. Bottom of the 4th, home team scored 6 runs to lead 6-3. Fast forward to the bunt single in the bottom of the 7th to score the winning run at 16-15.

15 minute break and we come out for the second game with me on the bases.

After nearly 25 minutes and 11-0 the visiting team (actually home, they switch home and away in their conference), I'm thinking this could be a quick game. (Ha Ha do I feel stupid). Home team scores a couple runs, visitors score a few more, home scores a few and we enter the bottom of the fourth inning with the visiting team holding a 19-9 edge. They still look good to finish this game quickly. The wheels absolutely come off and at the end of the half inning, it is 22-19 after 13 runs score. We have now about used the entire 2:00 time limit. (about 5 minutes left). The visiting team comes out and scored 6 runs to take a 25-22 lead. The home team comes out and I'm just waiting for them to score several runs to win it 26-25. Nope, strikeout, ground out, ground out and we walk out with a 25-22 score and more errors then hits.

No big controversial calls, but a couple interesting ones, both during game one.

I'm on the plate and the batter hits a pop up between first and second. F4 starts coming in, realizes she is going to get hit by runner going from first to second, stops to avoid her, then misses the catch about a couple inches. My partner immediately calls the ball dead for interference by the runner since she impeded the attempted catch by F4. A quick discussion between the coach and my partner and we move on (I agreed with the call, based on what I saw of the play).

The second was R1 on third, , and R2 on first, with 1 out, B4 hits a ground ball to F6. F6 checks the runner from third and then throws to F3 for the out at first (out is by several steps). On the throw, R1 takes off home. F3 tries throwing the ball home and gets run into by the now retired B4. The throw is not crisp and arrives a little late and R1 slides in under the tag. I signal safe. The ball is returned to F2 in the circle.

At this point the DC asks for time and comes out saying F3 was run into and therefore it was interference. My partner comes over and says "yes she was run into, so we have interference." (My thinking was, why did you not call it right away instead of waiting).

Now we get to explain to the OC that the runner who just scored is actually out because of interference by a retired runner. Let's just say he was not happy as that called ended a rally his team was having and the opposing pitcher was all sorts of rattled at that point of the inning.

Those were the only really interesting calls. We had some very interesting base running and tons of interesting base running decisions. My favorite was the walk with a runner on 3rd. The BR has no intention of stopping at first and it's obvious as she runs to first. Ball is thrown to the pitcher as she nears first. She just keeps going. The pitcher throws to the shortstop who tries to tag the BR heading to second, while the runner at third tries coming home. The runner is supposed to try getting into a rundown which would allow the run to score before the tag is applied (it's 4-0 in game 2 at this point, we did not know 47 runs would be scored total). The SS goes and applies the tag 4 feet short of second. Easy out right. Not today. The next thing I know the ball is rolling toward my feet. The rest of the game was just as bad.
Old Thu May 22, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Sounds like one of those sucks to me days

After all that is said and done, more is said than done