The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

Bottom 7th, score tied at 8-8. Bases loaded, one out.

High pop-up toward F6. Umpire rules "infield fly". F6 is set up to catch the ball, but loses it in the sun at the last second. F6 covers his head for protection and the ball lands behind him as all runners break for the next base. However, there is backspin on the ball which causes it to come back and hit R2's leg while on his way to 3B, but prior to R1 crossing the plate.

What's your call?
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
No call, ball game 9 - 8. The ball already passed an infielder.

Surely it's not that simple since you brought it here, but at first glance that's what it looks like to me.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Agreed, no call, game over.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
"Bottom 7th, score tied at 8-8" doesn't matter.

Is R2 behind F6 or vice-versa?
If the ball landed is coming back toward F6, does that mean F6 or some other fielder still had a chance to make an out?

Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Based on the information you have provided, I'm going to assume,and you know what that means, no one was trying to get the ball after it hit the ground, so no call, run scores, and I can have that beverage now. I know there are some in your vehicle.
NIF
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Based on the information you have provided, I'm going to assume,and you know what that means, no one was trying to get the ball after it hit the ground, so no call, run scores, and I can have that beverage now. I know there are some in your vehicle.
Nope. My cooler was stolen with the rest of my stuff last week.

Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Play?

I agree with the others. Since F6 had his head covered, I assume there was no play being made on the ball. It has already passed an infielder, so that rule is no longer a consideration.

However, if the blue did call an out on this, the timing of the lead runner crossing the plate wouldn't matter. Immediate dead ball, all runners stay where they are, no one scores, play the next inning. From what you gave us, I don't believe this would be the correct call, however.

Rick
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I'll jump in with a "no call" - Batter is still out, run scores, & game over.

Sorry to hear about the stolen stuff, Mike. But since mine wasn't stolen, I'm still having one or two of those beverages that are on ice in the cooler.

Steve M
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
At least we know what they were really after.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the others...no call, run scores, game over.

The only caveat would be if F5 somehow has a play after the ball landed.

Mike - this seems too easy, there has to be more to this story!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: Play?

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
I agree with the others. Since F6 had his head covered, I assume there was no play being made on the ball. It has already passed an infielder, so that rule is no longer a consideration.

However, if the blue did call an out on this, the timing of the lead runner crossing the plate wouldn't matter. Immediate dead ball, all runners stay where they are, no one scores, play the next inning. From what you gave us, I don't believe this would be the correct call, however.

Rick
Speaking ASA.

The runner crossing the plate is extremely important. If such a call was made, runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If a runner scored prior to the interference, that runner does not come back.

Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
No call, ball game 9 - 8. The ball already passed an infielder.

Surely it's not that simple since you brought it here, but at first glance that's what it looks like to me.
Okay, you're all on target. Didn't think it would be that hard, just trying to keep things moving along before the board starts to die down since we are coming to the end of another season.

Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Play?

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA Speaking ASA.

The runner crossing the plate is extremely important. If such a call was made, runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If a runner scored prior to the interference, that runner does not come back.
Of course, you did say "hit R2's leg ... prior to R1 crossing the plate."

Is my "F6 or some other fielder still had a chance to make an out" point relevant in this case?
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

During a game???? or some other time?? I make a motion that we use association money to buy..... Sorry, I thought I was at a meeting.
NIF
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Play?

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Is my "F6 or some other fielder still had a chance to make an out" point relevant in this case?
Yes. The rule book (8-7K) says "opportunity to make an out" which to me means more than just a possibility. I.e. the fielder would have to be in the act of trying to field the ball, and would have to be close enough to make the play for the out. In this case, that would mean a play before the runner crosses home. IOW, I wouldn't take the winning run off the books with an interference call if the only out the fielder had an opportunity to make would be after the run had scored (& therefore the game was over).

A lot to try to sequence in your head at the time of the call...