The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Just for reference, there are no such animal as "PIAA rules." PIAA adopts the NFHS rules and thing makes modifications (e.g. "game ending procedures").

I'm sure there are not many on this board know or care about the PIAA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp279 View Post
Slick,
I stand corrected that is official NFHS rules, NOT PIAA. Thank you for correcting that major error.

Second, I am thankful to meet the official spokesperson for others on this site...I was wondering who that was; Your contributions to the post just add so much more helpful meaning as well.

Maybe one day we can all grow up and be just like you...
All right now kids, play nice. We may have to issue you a team warning!
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 12:54pm
sp279

Yeah, so noted, Tom.
It was the last game since it was the championship round for that team, anyway so more than likely they weren't interested in their books anymore.
Thanks
Old Sun May 18, 2014, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp279 View Post
Two things I'm double checking myself on.....

1. Batter squares to bunt against a hard throwing pitcher. Obvious attempt. But she gets hit. I know it's a strike, but this girl is pretty hurting but at the same time the ball is still live with runners on base now moving. To include one about to round third to go home where B is on her knees right in the base path at home. Not a good situation...just interested in what you'all would do. Right or wrong I called the strike, then an injury time out which of course stopped all runners. Oh yeah, even HER coach was mad I did that with her girls still moving. Opinions?

2. Close game in runs. Runner on first and second. Girl hits to OF, slides into
2nd with a throw (called safe). Girl who was on second base rounds third and goes home...the one who was at first is now between 2nd and third (she hesitated to make sure she didn't need a tag up at 1st). The girl who slid at second has the ball under her, makes no attempt to move or get up while the
2nd baseman is desperately trying to reach through her legs, under her legs to get the ball but can't get the ball. She easily would have had at least a chance to make a throw to where ever that runner was going....which ended up being home. By the time the ball was dislodged all runners had scored. Keep in mind it was a good 4-5 seconds this ball was sat on. There were already two outs and both those runs made it a 1 run game (offensive team behind). That said, I called the base runner at second sitting on the ball out after the 2nd baseman finally got the ball out for interference. Offensive coach went ballistic as it ended the game (was last half of last inning, they were home) and they lost by one run. Opinions?
I would agree with the other posters on this. 1) Dead ball strike 2) HTBT. If you feel the runner is doing something to prevent the fielder from getting the ball then there is a case for interference. If the ball is just stuck under her and the fielder isn't attempting to get it, I let play continue.

This is a touch one, because we don't want to penalize the offensive for trying to slide in and stay safe at a base when the defense made a poor play (throw, catch, or tag). At the same time we don't want the runner to prevent the defense from playing the game either.

This reminds me of another possible situation. Play at the plate with runners still on base. Runner slides in on a close play and the ball bounces. In the process of the slide it hits the runners leg and bounds away. I've got nothing. Now if there is a play and the runner kicks at the loose ball (kick by definition is an intentional act) and knocks it away we have a different situation.