The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Everyone survive their tourneys

Did all of you survive your Holiday Tourneys? I had two games? HS Girls. First was a blow out by the eventual winner of the tourney against the eventual number 5 finisher. The second was the 5th place game. Good game ... not the best teams but a really fun game nonetheless. I love holiday tourneys. Now it's a JV/V combo Monday night.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Did all of you survive your Holiday Tourneys? I had two games? HS Girls. First was a blow out by the eventual winner of the tourney against the eventual number 5 finisher. The second was the 5th place game. Good game ... not the best teams but a really fun game nonetheless. I love holiday tourneys. Now it's a JV/V combo Monday night.
I don't anticipate hearing from those who did not.....
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Survive is right. Seven games, 3 Ts (2 players and 1 head coach), one overtime and one almost overtime if the kid makes a wide open layup with a second to go. Now I am looking forward to a break until January 5.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I don't anticipate hearing from those who did not.....
Maybe she can help. Yeah, right.

Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Funny you should mention that........ I was assigned to work the championship game of a small (4 team) girls tournament on Tuesday night. Smaller (2A) schools. Pretty laid-back tournament... the home team got bounced in the first round so the championship game was two teams who were quite a ways from home. Probably a total of 100 people in the stands. First half is pretty routine.... except that the white team's crowd is whining about everything. Even routine OOB calls. The blue team's crowd is absolutely perfect, just cheering their team and not having any negative comments. I am just laughing inside thinking, "this is one of the reasons that I do not help out with much girls ball anymore."

About halfway through the 3rd quarter, the ball goes out of bounds in front of my partner. Routine OOB. He correctly gives it to blue. White crowd (who is seated across from the play and all the way on the other end of the gym) goes ballastic. I have had enough. I put my hand up to prevent my partner from putting the ball inbounds. I walk to the other end, stand right in front of the 50 fans of the white team, hit my whistle and say (in my parent voice), "let the players play, let the refs ref. We do not need comments on every call." The gym goes dead silent. I turn back around and walk to my position. I am thinking, "oh boy, you've done it now dummy - you're really gonna get it." I was expecting that one moron to yell, "well, call it right then!" as I walked away. Instead, I hear this quiet applause that gets louder and louder. I turn around and the blue section is clapping, including 5 of them who are standing while they applaud. Two girls of the WHITE team walk by me and say, "thank you."

I look at my partners and they are both smiling in disbelief. We never heard another word and the game went right down to the end as white missed a jumpshot at the end to lose by one.

Not sure I'd ever try that again....... The stars must have been perfectly aligned. :-)
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 01:10pm
Huck Finn

I think I had 11 games, two championships (one went to overtime) and my T average went down.

My next game is Tuesday and it will probably be the most challenging situation for me so far this year.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 01:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
My next game is Tuesday and it will probably be the most challenging situation for me so far this year.
How come?
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 01:45pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
How come?
I walked into the back gym the other day and watched the crew working. I quickly became pissed and asked an official there about the crew. He told me he doesn't even talk to this one official because they don't like each other. I make sure the assigner knows how bad of a job this crew did - they totally ignored all of the video we have watched and the instruction our instructional chair has given. The R was the worst of the crew. Now, my opinion isn't the end all, be all, but there is not reason to lack hustle and strong mechanics. He couldn't get into position to see plays because he was being super lazy!

Bingo, I'm working with this guy on Tuesday! So I tell my friend who my crew is for Tuesday. I hadn't told him about seeing this official and I told him who both my partners are. He sends me a text saying, "You are going to want to kill_______." Mmm, so this is a problem.

It has been many years, if ever, where I've had to deal with such a combination of things that go against the crew concept and doing a good job on a game. But I need him for 32 minutes, if not longer, so I have to devise a strategy to make this happen. I don't know him and what I would normally say to him may piss him off so I have to be careful. He is that bad.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 02:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Good luck.....and be sure to come back and tell us what a great time you had....
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 02:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Can you play 'good cop, bad cop' in such a situation?
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 02:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Funny you should mention that........ I was assigned to work the championship game of a small (4 team) girls tournament on Tuesday night. Smaller (2A) schools. Pretty laid-back tournament... the home team got bounced in the first round so the championship game was two teams who were quite a ways from home. Probably a total of 100 people in the stands. First half is pretty routine.... except that the white team's crowd is whining about everything. Even routine OOB calls. The blue team's crowd is absolutely perfect, just cheering their team and not having any negative comments. I am just laughing inside thinking, "this is one of the reasons that I do not help out with much girls ball anymore."

About halfway through the 3rd quarter, the ball goes out of bounds in front of my partner. Routine OOB. He correctly gives it to blue. White crowd (who is seated across from the play and all the way on the other end of the gym) goes ballastic. I have had enough. I put my hand up to prevent my partner from putting the ball inbounds. I walk to the other end, stand right in front of the 50 fans of the white team, hit my whistle and say (in my parent voice), "let the players play, let the refs ref. We do not need comments on every call." The gym goes dead silent. I turn back around and walk to my position. I am thinking, "oh boy, you've done it now dummy - you're really gonna get it." I was expecting that one moron to yell, "well, call it right then!" as I walked away. Instead, I hear this quiet applause that gets louder and louder. I turn around and the blue section is clapping, including 5 of them who are standing while they applaud. Two girls of the WHITE team walk by me and say, "thank you."

I look at my partners and they are both smiling in disbelief. We never heard another word and the game went right down to the end as white missed a jumpshot at the end to lose by one.

Not sure I'd ever try that again....... The stars must have been perfectly aligned. :-)
Well, an Officials Forum "Shut up" probably would not have been as effective.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 03:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
How come?

My guess would have been because it will be his first game this year.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Fri Jan 01, 2010 at 03:20pm.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 03:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
My guess would have been because it will be his first game this year.
For some reason, I liked his reason better than yours......
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 02:24am
Archaic Power Monger

Didn't get any tournament games this year, hopefully next year. I did survive Christmas with the in-laws though so that should count for something.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I walked into the back gym the other day and watched the crew working. I quickly became pissed and asked an official there about the crew. He told me he doesn't even talk to this one official because they don't like each other. I make sure the assigner knows how bad of a job this crew did - they totally ignored all of the video we have watched and the instruction our instructional chair has given. The R was the worst of the crew. Now, my opinion isn't the end all, be all, but there is not reason to lack hustle and strong mechanics. He couldn't get into position to see plays because he was being super lazy!

Bingo, I'm working with this guy on Tuesday! So I tell my friend who my crew is for Tuesday. I hadn't told him about seeing this official and I told him who both my partners are. He sends me a text saying, "You are going to want to kill_______." Mmm, so this is a problem.

It has been many years, if ever, where I've had to deal with such a combination of things that go against the crew concept and doing a good job on a game. But I need him for 32 minutes, if not longer, so I have to devise a strategy to make this happen. I don't know him and what I would normally say to him may piss him off so I have to be careful. He is that bad.

Maybe this might help,

I am working on implementing the things we have been instructed this season to do. We need to make sure that we are the best team on the floor tonight and that we are the best crew these teams will see this season.

Ask the official what types of things they would like to discuss so that they can referee their best. Does that person have any pet peeves, any strange situations, etc. that can be discussed and used to bring the crew together.

To these teams this is the most important game of the night/season, let's be sure we give them our best until the very end. Let's hustle, be deadball efficient, and have fun.