The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Ball 4 throw to first?

I saw this one the other day. Nothing illegal, and it's actually a smart play if executed properly and the offensive team bites (which they did not).

3-1 count on the batter, with a runner on third base. Ball 4 comes in, I call ball 4. Batter-runner heads to first. All of the sudden the catcher pops up and throws to F3 who goes to cover the base.

Everyone knew there was no play on the batter-runner going to first base. The idea behind the play is to get the runner to start coming home on the throw to third, throw quickly back to the catcher to tag the lead runner out.

In this case the runner at third did not bite, likely because the defensive coach was yelling "We are going to run play 1" from the 3rd base dugout so everyone could hear, including the 3rd base coach and runner.

It does bring up a question though.

Ball 4, batter- runner goes to first in fair territory. The throw hits her in the back on her way there and deflects away. The runner at third comes home? What's the ball?

My only call, assuming the runner touches home plate while coming home is safe. No interference because the throw hitting the batter-runner does not interfere with a play being made on the batter-runner since she is advancing to an awarded base.