The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

First game of the year plays

Had my first game of the year today. JV HS game. No big issues, but a few plays that were moderately interesting. I was working with a partner I never worked with before, so that was interesting as well.

First, we had a player from one team we think has a prosthetic leg, but can't be sure because nothing was visible. We were never given any documentation about it one way or another. State association policy says we should be given a letter of approval from the state association for any athlete to compete with a prosthesis. Given we suspect, but aren't sure, should we have done anything like question the coach quietly, or should be just let it go.

The next issue, and I'm pretty sure I handled it correct. Bottom 4th. B4 comes up to bat, fouls a pitch off, and swings and misses, giving her an 0-2 count. The defensive coach asks for time, and says this is the incorrect batter. The scorekeeper says B4 made the last out last inning. I ask the home team scorekeeper (offending teams scorekeeper), what she has. She says that it is the correct batter, but as she is looking, she realizes she only has two outs the last inning, so B4 must have been the last out and B5 is the legal batter.

What is the proper procedure? I told the offending coach B4 was an incorrect batter and B5 should be the batter. I had B5 step in, and assume the 0-2 count B4 had earned in the at-bat? Was this the correct procedure? (B5 hit a line shot to 3b on the best pitch.

If B4 had gotten on base, or gotten out, what would the procedure have been.

The only other screwy things were having to explain the infield fly rule to the coach and scorekeeper of the visiting team when I didn't call it for a pop fly to F6 with a runner on first and 1 out and me losing track of the count because I never changed the indicator and we had a rundown play on a botched steal attempt after the first pitch.

The best part, 2 games, less than 3 hours of total game time. One game 6 inning 10 run mercy and the other a full 7 inning game. The other good part. Everyone including myself made it out uninjured.

The worst part, other than forgetting the count, and having to discuss it with my partner, was getting a foul ball smacked right off the middle of the face mask.

One other situation.

Teams hand me the lineup cards for game 2. I look them over and don't see any problems. After the third inning, the home coach says I want to sub 27 for 17. Ok, no problem. I pull out the lineup and I have no #17 on the lineup card. Now we have a problem. I add her to the lineup card, and announce the substitution. I issue a warning to the home coach for having to make an addition to the lineup card and remind him that a subsequent violation will restrict him and the player to the dugout. As soon as I am done with this, the visiting coach comes with a sub. I want #4 to bat for #8. I look, and I have no number 4 on the lineup as an eligible substitute. The coach looks at the line up, and turns to ask the player what her number is. The player tells her number 14. I change the number, announce this substitution to the scorekeeper and now warn this coach that any subsequent changes will result in a dugout restriction.

I have never had to warn two coaches for this in a game before, let alone two in the same break between innings.

Last edited by chapmaja; Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 12:40am.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

You handled the batting out of order correctly, until the batter completes the at bat the proper batter just assumed the count and completes the turn at bat. If the improper batter had gotten on base and then properly appealed prior to the next pitch, the batter who should have batted is out, the improper batter removed from base and the next batter is the player who follows the batter who should have batted.

If the improper batter was put out on the play and the batting out of order is then properly appealed, the improper batters turn at bat is negated, any other outs that may have possibly been made on other runners during the play stand, the batter who should have batted is out and the next batter is the one following the batter who was called out.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 09:39am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
First, we had a player from one team we think has a prosthetic leg, but can't be sure because nothing was visible. We were never given any documentation about it one way or another. State association policy says we should be given a letter of approval from the state association for any athlete to compete with a prosthesis..
Who is "we"? The game umpires? The school's head coach so he/she can show the umpires? The school so it has it on file?

Quote:
As soon as I am done with this, the visiting coach comes with a sub. I want #4 to bat for #8. I look, and I have no number 4 on the lineup as an eligible substitute. The coach looks at the line up, and turns to ask the player what her number is. The player tells her number 14. I change the number...
What number did you change? You said you didn't have a #4 on the line-up. Did you have a #14? If the coach inadvertently said 4 but it should have been 14, and you had a 14 on the line-up card, there is no violation that requires a warning.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Who is "we"? The game umpires? The school's head coach so he/she can show the umpires? The school so it has it on file?

The we in this case is the umpires. The coach never presented us with any documentation, and since we didn't actually see any prosthetic limb it really is not our place to go ask if the player has a prosthetic limb. I personally have known several people who have prosthetic legs, and she walked in a very similar manner to several of them, thus why I think she had the prosthetic limb. Without seeing it, we really can't ask though.

What number did you change? You said you didn't have a #4 on the line-up. Did you have a #14? If the coach inadvertently said 4 but it should have been 14, and you had a 14 on the line-up card, there is no violation that requires a warning.
The number on the lineup card was incorrect. The number written on the card was 4 IIRC, but she was actually wearing #14. The players number was not the same as the number written on the lineup card. In this case, the number change does result in a violation requiring a warning to the head coach.

Had he just mistakenly stated the number, then all we have is a coach making a mistake and nothing more. We correct the error in his speaking and move on.

Last edited by chapmaja; Mon Apr 14, 2014 at 08:04pm.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2014, 07:21am
Stirrer of the Pot

From your first post:

Quote:
As soon as I am done with this, the visiting coach comes with a sub. I want #4 to bat for #8. I look, and I have no number 4 on the lineup as an eligible substitute.
From your last post:

Quote:
The number on the lineup card was incorrect. The number written on the card was 4 IIRC, but she was actually wearing #14.
Now I'm really confused...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 15, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The number on the lineup card was incorrect. The number written on the card was 4 IIRC, but she was actually wearing #14. The players number was not the same as the number written on the lineup card. In this case, the number change does result in a violation requiring a warning to the head coach.

Had he just mistakenly stated the number, then all we have is a coach making a mistake and nothing more. We correct the error in his speaking and move on.
Hmmm...

I've always thought some of your scenarios were not real - even though you present them as such. Now you've proven it. You need to keep your lies straight...

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 15, 2014, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Hmmm...

I've always thought some of your scenarios were not real - even though you present them as such. Now you've proven it. You need to keep your lies straight...
+1

Another "strange play" coming in 3, 2, 1......

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.