The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK View Post
I just joined a softball chapter in NYS and was instructed that if I see a band-aid on the ear, to ignore it. If if comes loose and I can see jewelry, then deal with it.
Try reading what the umpire manual says because you are being grossly misinformed by this organization.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Try reading what the umpire manual says because you are being grossly misinformed by this organization.
Something to consider. What is you require a player to remove band aids on her ears because it might be covering an earring and there is no earring, but an infected ear. You have now opened yourself to possible legal liability for making her remove the bandages when they were not covering anything illegal.

This is no different than in high school basketball or volleyball with a belly button ring. (or softball for that matter). We can't ask a player to lift their shirt up so we can see if they are wearing jewelry, but if during the course of play, jewelry that was under the uniform becomes exposed, we have to deal with it according to the rules. This is the same with a tongue ring. If we can't see it, there is nothing to call, but if the player sticks his/her tongue out and it is visible now we need to enforce the rule because the player allowed it to be visible and it is illegal to wear jewelry.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Something to consider. What is you require a player to remove band aids on her ears because it might be covering an earring and there is no earring, but an infected ear. You have now opened yourself to possible legal liability for making her remove the bandages when they were not covering anything illegal.

This is no different than in high school basketball or volleyball with a belly button ring. (or softball for that matter). We can't ask a player to lift their shirt up so we can see if they are wearing jewelry, but if during the course of play, jewelry that was under the uniform becomes exposed, we have to deal with it according to the rules. This is the same with a tongue ring. If we can't see it, there is nothing to call, but if the player sticks his/her tongue out and it is visible now we need to enforce the rule because the player allowed it to be visible and it is illegal to wear jewelry.
Already considered and already addressed in our manual. But thank you anyway.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

BTW, I once had a HS player ask me before the game if covering ear studs with a bandaid was permissible!
+

Only once, that is a pretty regular occurrence for in Michigan, especially at the middle school and JV levels. It is usually followed by the same excuse "But I just got it pierced."

This is where, in my opinion, the schools need to do a better job informing the parents and athletes of the rules well prior to the seasons starting. It needs to be made clear than in ALL NFHS sports (at least as far as I'm aware of) jewelry is illegal and may not be worn. If we have schools addressing this issue before seasons start, maybe we have less of the "I just got it pierced" complaints.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2014, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
+

Only once, that is a pretty regular occurrence for in Michigan, especially at the middle school and JV levels. It is usually followed by the same excuse "But I just got it pierced."

This is where, in my opinion, the schools need to do a better job informing the parents and athletes of the rules well prior to the seasons starting. It needs to be made clear than in ALL NFHS sports (at least as far as I'm aware of) jewelry is illegal and may not be worn. If we have schools addressing this issue before seasons start, maybe we have less of the "I just got it pierced" complaints.
You don't buy that excuse do you? The kids know the rules - they either forget to take it off, or don't want to. We have to enforce it.

"Coach, if she can't or won't take off the jewelry, please let me know who will be substituting for her."

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Tue Apr 15, 2014 at 03:31am.