The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 11:19am
Stirrer of the Pot

Plate Conference Procedures

From the 2010-2011 NFHS Softball Umpires Manual, which I referred to earlier this week to address a question regarding who can attend the plate conference:

Pregame Conference with Head Coaches
1. The Plate Umpire (P) should be positioned behind home plate facing the outfield with each team’s head coaches on each side of home plate. The base umpire(s) (B) will be opposite the plate umpire facing the backstop. Team captains and assistant coaches may also attend the pregame conference.
2. The plate umpire should introduce himself/herself and his/her partner(s) to all in attendance. Have all others introduce themselves to each other.
3. Ask the head coaches to verify that players are legally equipped and that players and equipment are in compliance with all NFHS rules.
4. Review the ground rules. Begin by outlining dead-ball areas then proceed to the home plate, third base dugout / bench area, outfield fence and foul poles, first base dugout / bench area. Cover all openings and obstacles.
NOTE 1: No ground rule can supercede any book rule.
NOTE 2: If coaches cannot agree on a ground rule, then the umpires have the final say.
5. Review the overthrow rule and penalty enforcements.
6. Review the lineup cards. Explain, if necessary, the importance of notifying the plate umpire of substitutes.
NOTE 1: (F.P.) Make sure if there is a DP/FLEX you have 10 players and if no DP/FLEX there are only 9 players. (S.P.) Make sure there are 10 players listed or 11 if using an EP.
NOTE 2: Make sure first and last names are listed for all players, starters and subs.
NOTE 3: Hand the lineup cards back to each coach and ask them to "check it one last time" prior to it becoming the official lineup.
7. Ask if there are any questions on the rules, especially the re-entry, DP/FLEX and EP rule.
8. Ask if everyone is familiar with the ball rotation rule.
9. If a doubleheader, ask how much time will there be between games.
10. Remind the teams that the official book is from the home team and the scorekeepers should verify with each other several times throughout the game. If umpires know that there is an obvious error, they can correct the books.
11. Remind teams that if there are any questions, please only one person, the coach, approach the umpire responsible for the call in a sporting manner.
12. Remind the coaches that you are going to let the coaches coach, the players play and for them to please let the umpires umpire.
13. Review with all in attendance the expectations regarding sporting behavior and wish them all the Best of Luck!
NOTE: The whole time have great presence and a firm voice.

Seriously?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NOTE 1: No ground rule can supercede any book rule.

Don't necessarily buy this since the ground rule pertain to the ground and the rules have no idea what that may be

Quote:
5. Review the overthrow rule and penalty enforcements.

Nope, ain't doing that

Quote:
7. Ask if there are any questions on the rules, especially the re-entry, DP/FLEX and EP rule.
Nope

Quote:
8. Ask if everyone is familiar with the ball rotation rule.
And no

Quote:
11. Remind teams that if there are any questions, please only one person, the coach, approach the umpire responsible for the call in a sporting manner.
And no

Quote:
12. Remind the coaches that you are going to let the coaches coach, the players play and for them to please let the umpires umpire.
And, hell no

Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:09am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
[B]

Don't necessarily buy this since the ground rule pertain to the ground and the rules have no idea what that may be

[B]

Nope, ain't doing that

Nope

And no

And no

And, hell no

Agree. I'm very surprised this is in any organization's umpire manual.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I've read that. And I don't think I've ever worked with anyone that does 80% of that. One school district I work requires a sportsmanship statement at the conference. And one umpire I work with there simply says, "Required sportsmanship statement" and moves on.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
[B]

I think that is about not having 3 base awards for unusual dead ball areas, not saying "runner must make it" on ball out play, where coaches can be, and just plain rule violations like no 3rd strike foul in SP.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Ever since bringing my 3 question pre-game conference from basketball to the sports with the smaller balls, it has quickened things up considerably.

1) Are players properly and legally equipped?

2) Can we expect good sportsmanship today?

3) Any facility issues we need to be aware of?

4) Batting order changes come through me

Good luck!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

We are required here to make a Victory With Honor statement in the pregame meeting. Basically, good sportsmanship is expected from all participants at all times.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
We are required here to make a Victory With Honor statement in the pregame meeting. Basically, good sportsmanship is expected from all participants at all times.
If your team is going to lose (and thus not have victory that day), are they allowed to be unsportsmanlike?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

The 2014-2015 Manual states who can attend a pre-game conference (head coach, captains and assistants) and has far less info to discuss.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 11:38am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twag View Post
The 2014-2015 Manual states who can attend a pre-game conference (head coach, captains and assistants) and has far less info to discuss.
That's good to know. I posted the 2010-2011 version because I have it in electrons, so it made it easy to just cut and paste.

But that's really not that long ago, and I'm surprised to find that language existed then.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If your team is going to lose (and thus not have victory that day), are they allowed to be unsportsmanlike?

I didnt come up with the moto, I just have to repeat it at every game. From what I have been told, before my time the umpires actually had to hand out victory with honor cards to the coaches and read the entire verbage.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I didnt come up with the moto, I just have to repeat it at every game. From what I have been told, before my time the umpires actually had to hand out victory with honor cards to the coaches and read the entire verbage.
Doesn't make any difference, it isn't and shouldn't be the umpire making such statements. If the coaches don't know this and are not capable of teaching their players to understand it, they shouldn't be associated with the team or game.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
...One school district I work requires a sportsmanship statement at the conference. And one umpire I work with there simply says, "Required sportsmanship statement" and moves on.
While I am not advocating "required sportsmanship statements", if they are required, saying what this guy says seems ill-advised. It runs the real risk (IMO) of being taken as belittling sportsmanship rather than protesting/belittling the requirement (which is probably his intent).

It doesn't take too long perusing the sports media to find that lack of sportsmanship in youth sports IS a problem.

I must say, though, we rarely have an issue with sportsmanship in HS girls fast pitch here in MN. But when we do, it usually starts with the coach and is reflected in the team.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2014, 08:51pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Doesn't make any difference, it isn't and shouldn't be the umpire making such statements. If the coaches don't know this and are not capable of teaching their players to understand it, they shouldn't be associated with the team or game.
The same could be said about, "Are your players legally and properly equipped yada yada..."
Old Fri Apr 04, 2014, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The same could be said about, "Are your players legally and properly equipped yada yada..."
You are correct and many umpires actually believe this absolves them of any responsibility for faulty or illegal equipment. Yeah, tell that to your lawyer just before giving your depo.