The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:46pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
This year, NFHS clarified control by stating that it had to be in the hand or glove and that being held between the legs or with the arm is not control.
I find it hard to believe that this new defintion of control is not in the 2014 Preseason Guide for NFHS Softball that Referee magazine puts out.

Also, the Softball site on the NFHS Central Hub in Arbitersports makes absolutely no mention of this change.

Maybe it's something that Ohio is doing. Here in Virginia, there has been nothing put out in any of our state clinics or other media that says this is the case.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Here in Virginia, there has been nothing put out in any of our state clinics or other media that says this is the case.
Seconded for New Hampshire.

Also, didn't know NFHS had a DVD.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that this new defintion of control is not in the 2014 Preseason Guide for NFHS Softball that Referee magazine puts out.....
Whether anything is either in or out of Referee magazine means nothing whatsoever with respect to authoritative softball rulings. Putting it another way, they have no credibility (at least with me) regarding softball.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that Referee magazine puts out.
Ugh. This hurts.

Referee Magazine is probably the most effective spreader of misinformation regarding sports officiating that there is. Worse than announcers on tv, because they do it under the guise of some apparent authority. They generally get about a 60% on their OWN quizzes.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:27pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Whether anything is either in or out of Referee magazine means nothing whatsoever with respect to authoritative softball rulings. Putting it another way, they have no credibility (at least with me) regarding softball.
Oh, I agree they're not authoritative. And I'm usually one of the first to criticize things they put out for any sport.

But they are pretty good about announcing rule changes. They get into trouble when they try to elaborate the change with their example plays and their PlayPics (I still can't understand where they got the idea that an obstruction call in softball requires both the delayed dead ball signal with the left arm/hand and a point with the right hand...)

If there was a change in NFHS of what entails possession of the ball in the circle, they would have been all over it, but then screw it up with some flaky case play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...If there was a change in NFHS of what entails possession of the ball in the circle, they would have been all over it, but then screw it up with some flaky case play.
Good point.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that this new defintion of control is not in the 2014 Preseason Guide for NFHS Softball that Referee magazine puts out...

Maybe it's something that Ohio is doing.
I get the preseason guide, I've checked the NFHS website, I attended the Ohio state rule interpretation meeting and the usual local meetings covering rule changes.

No mention of this "new rule".

And...the same old case book play is still there (8.7.1E) where the pitcher puts the ball in her glove, then puts the glove between her knees and it says this satisfies "possession" with respect to the look back rule.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

My 2014 NFHS rule book has not changed either.
8-7-1 . . . The look-back rule will be in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession of the ball within the pitcher's circle.

Check where your DVD is from. If from Referee Magazine, then that explains the problem. Referee Magazine is noted for putting out inaccurate information.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I got hold of Jerry Fick, the State Softball Rules interpreter and he told me that I got the ASA and the HS clinics confused again. So I must apologize for making incorrect statements.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Ugh. This hurts.

Referee Magazine is probably the most effective spreader of misinformation regarding sports officiating that there is. Worse than announcers on tv, because they do it under the guise of some apparent authority. They generally get about a 60% on their OWN quizzes.
Though I have found errors in the quizzes, your "60%" is a pathetic exaggeration. I doubt you even read them.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I doubt you even read them.
He probably does not have time to waste.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
He probably does not have time to waste.
I know I don't read them because the money I would blow on a subscription could be better spent elsewhere (and yes I did read them for a while).
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I know I don't read them because the money I would blow on a subscription could be better spent elsewhere (and yes I did read them for a while).
As a stand-alone, I wouldn't buy the subscription, either. But as a part of NASO registration, it is worth it to me.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
As a stand-alone, I wouldn't buy the subscription, either. But as a part of NASO registration, it is worth it to me.
Agree
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Though I have found errors in the quizzes, your "60%" is a pathetic exaggeration. I doubt you even read them.
I absolutely do not anymore. You are correct. I had a subscription for 5 years. We used to grade them. 60 was common. Perhaps a slight exaggeration. But slight.

Perhaps they are better now, but they burned my trust a long time ago.

West Houston Mike