The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Watching the local team playing in the LLWS (MidAtlantic), as usual, I'm watching the umpires, not the game.

Notes of interest:

First base umpire looks like he's trying to take off on safe calls. At first, I just thought maybe he made an excited call. Then I watched him make every call in the same manner. His timing was great, his signal needs work.

Plate umpire was sweating and it was very noticable with the heather grey pants. I almosts felt embarassed for the guy on national TV.

A problem I have with ASA showed in this game. All the time I spend teaching and correcting umpires in an effort to get them to use the hammer as prescribed by ASA's umpire mechanics and I'm getting phone calls from umpires at nationals stating that they are being told to do it differently. The PU in today's LL game reminded me of that.

Rant on!

I don't care how the MLB umpires call strikes or how the NCAA umpires like to emulate them (I'm sure the Kellers will like to jump in on this one), but I'm tired of being told that, as an ASA umpire, I should adjust my signals and uniform to look like the big boys because that is what everyone else is doing. I got over that when I graduated high school and cannot think of any good reason to model things in my life after someone else.

I believe the method of signaling a strike (or out, for that matter) with a low, abbreviated hammer in front of the body looks like an aggressive signal made in an arrogent manner. An umpire who makes a call like that literally seems to be shaking a fist at someone.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard at a school or clinic (and I'm sure every umpire on this board has probably heard this also) that what comes out of your mouth is for the players in the vicinity of the call and the signal is for everyone else, from the outfielders and the players in the dugout to the spectators and the media. Well, hiding a signal in front of one's body fails to accomplish that.

I do not expect umpires to be robotic and can appreciate an umpire being comfortable with their calls and signals. But I do expect them to be made in a professional and effective manner to accomplish the purpose for which they exist.

Rant off!

Thanks,
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

don't care how the MLB umpires call strikes or how the NCAA umpires like to emulate them (I'm sure the Kellers will like to jump in on this one), but I'm tired of being told that, as an ASA umpire, I should adjust my signals and uniform to look like the big boys because that is what everyone else is doing. I got over that when I graduated high school and cannot think of any good reason to model things in my life after someone else.

Nope not jumping on that one. I disagree with your assessment of Umpires that work NCAA ball, just like you would disagree with some of my assesments of ASA.

Gotta Sleep...Just got back from a nice relaxing vacation with the family in Florida.
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re heather gray; Watching Atlanta Braves as I reply, PU does look wet in heather. I called HS today, its hot and muggy, by second inning, my pants were two-toned also, but it really doesn't bother me. That is prescribed uni for our area, so I guess I gotta live with it. No-one ever mentions the sweat, but I'm sure it is noticeable.
Old Sat Aug 16, 2003, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
kellerumps

That sounds like a genteel discussion between you two. Did you ever call ASA, or do you still?

Is that Kellerumps as in Keller, Tx? I'm from Ft Worth.

[Edited by TexBlue on Aug 16th, 2003 at 11:03 PM]
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
don't care how the MLB umpires call strikes or how the NCAA umpires like to emulate them (I'm sure the Kellers will like to jump in on this one), but I'm tired of being told that, as an ASA umpire, I should adjust my signals and uniform to look like the big boys because that is what everyone else is doing. I got over that when I graduated high school and cannot think of any good reason to model things in my life after someone else.

Nope not jumping on that one. I disagree with your assessment of Umpires that work NCAA ball, just like you would disagree with some of my assesments of ASA.

Gotta Sleep...Just got back from a nice relaxing vacation with the family in Florida.
My apologies for not being clear. My intention is not to make a disparaging remark concerning umpires who work NCAA ball. The point was that I don't believe that should be justification for umpires working ASA ball to abandon the mechanics taught and precribed in ASA schools and umpire's manual.

And yes, when I talk to umpires who work both NCAA and ASA, I hear about the way MLB does it. This is also what I heard from an umpires who have worked ASA Nationals this year. Well, if that's what ASA wants, fine, but don't make the rest of us look like idiots by teaching one thing only to be told another.

Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I used to have the two-toned pant problem in this unbearable Texas heat, until I started wearing interawear a few years back. Most of the sweat is wicked away by a good pair of interawear shorts or pants. There are times when my pants are still damp after a mid-day long battle in full gear, but never visibly two-toned.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I was watching a game the other day. (don't remember if it was softball or baseball Little League) but the PU had on a red shirt and all the other umpires had on blue shirts. What gives? Dave
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

That sounds like a genteel discussion between you two. Did you ever call ASA, or do you still?

Is that Kellerumps as in Keller, Tx? I'm from Ft Worth.

Nope not from Texas. Yes we call alot of ASA ball.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
"I used to have the two-toned pant problem in this unbearable Texas heat, until I started wearing interawear a few years back. Most of the sweat is wicked away by a good pair of interawear shorts or pants"

Where do you get this interawear?
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the interawear leggings, too. But they will not take away all the sweat. I still have the two-toned pants show up frequently. I sweat enough that the interawear has little or no effect.

Steve M
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

We swear by Under Armour.......Some friends use a "knock off" Starter Brand but we have not found that yet.

In any case, in our opinion, here in the Mid-West, Heather Grey rules.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

"Some friends use a "knock off" Starter Brand but we have not found that yet."

Wally World sells them in this area of Texas. {walmart}

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA does not teach a low hammer in front of the body. I was fortunate enough to be evaluated by the several CWS umpires this summer and learned a great deal. I also did a national school with Billy P. and the mechanics are very similar. The NCAA still wants the BU to walk the line whereas ASA has gone to a "ready position" on the pitch. The NCAA umpires manual is a valuable resource for anyone serious about being a good official.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The low hammer comments sound like my objection to the uppercut punch out in another thread. Too agressive, too intimidating. But then, they are on national TV and I'm home.

Don't worry so much about the heather gray. As soon as the clothing guys make sure everyone has enough of them, we'll switch to another color. How about dark green, with the excuse of hiding grass stains?

Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Welcome Home

Welcome home from FL. Keller. Sham sham on you. Navy Blue rules, you know that! Sorry we didn't get to that golfing activity at Nationals. But having to do 3 and 4 games in row has a tendency to take the best out of everyone.