The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda Bear
I am by no means proposing WWE Wrestling as our marketing model, but I am suggesting making sure we "appeal" to diverse "markets".
Let me also clarify...

ASA has been (justifiably) accused of being restrictive in the detail of umpire uniform requirements and mechanics.

Some of this I support (standard mechanics in signals is good; having two umpires show up wearing a uniform uniform is good.) Some I think is overly fussy (fretting about black or tan mask pads, for example).

Working within the "system" to affect desired changes is a good thing. As is discussing gripes, etc. here.

However, "civil disobedience" isn't. If you are going to call ASA (or utrip, or AFA, or LL) games, apply their rules, including Rule 10 (or their equivalent) and the adjustments made by the local association. Here, for example, we are required to wear shirts with the local ASA association's logo on them. Annoying, since I can't buy my shirts from wherever I want. But, if I am going to call for them, I conform to their rules.

Simple as that.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't disagree with Tom "Dakota"'s sentiments. To clarify my observations, I agree with using the "prescribed" equipment. What I was addressing is the ongoing debate here and within the industry about how specific or general the "prescription" should be.

For example, there was an observation recently about using what was either a black or navy bag with gray slacks. That must have been approved in the case at hand, or umpires working a game on national TV wouldn't have been so attired. I agree, old vinyl bags should be gone. But, IMO, I see no problem with some variety in choice of uniforms and equipment, color and style.

I also differentiate the elements of mechanics related to being in position to see the elements to correctly make a call, and the "mechanics" of communicating the call. It is important that all concerned know what the call was. If that isn't accomplished, nothing else matters. OTOH, if it is accomplished, what added value does a given motion have vs. another?

I realize many of us have a military background that stresses the elimination of any trace of individuality.

OTOH, attracting new, upwardly mobile types into our line of work is important in many localities. In the society we live in, many of the people we need to attract as new participants, as well as spectators (read supporters), value individuality, freedom of choice, and, yes, colorfulness. If all the diamond sports are to remain viable, we need to appeal to new blood. Like it or not, we are competing with every other diversion out there whenever we step onto the field.

I am by no means proposing WWE Wrestling as our marketing model, but I am suggesting making sure we "appeal" to diverse "markets".
That's correct, just like allowing calculaters in schools at an early grade. Now you have college graduates who cannot perform simple arithmatic with a pencil and paper.

Anyone who has been to an ASA clinic has heard that the first part of selling oneself as a good umpire is to look like a good umpire. Nothing looks worse then a crew diverse in uniform. That word alone, "uniform", should offer an indication as to the purpose of dressing alike. I watch some minor-league ball around here and it is rare the umpires are in identical uniforms. One guy wears shoes with the white Nike swoosh and the other wears black. One may be wearing an old style plate coat while the other wears a "Ike" style jacket on the bases. As often as I watch, there is nothing ever convincing me they can act as a unit.

Look the part, then act the part. This is where the similar mechanics come into place. Anyone ever hear, "If you deviate, communicate"? Of course, you have and that also is part of uniformity among the crew. The best crew is that which act as a single unit regardless of how many umpires are on the field.

I'm not suggesting an umpire be robotic, but "individualism" among a crew may lead to a lack of cohesiveness which will be noticed on the field. Umpires are not being paid to look good or cool on the field and, no, a ball bag does not affect a call, but it may very well affect the manner in which it is accepted by the teams.

Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: questions from yesterday

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Can anyone answer my questions from yesterday around 3:00 PM?
Yes. I have and will. Also, though, not during a game unless it is near the end and they are fixing to have a chance to change.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I realize many of us have a military background that stresses the elimination of any trace of individuality.

OTOH, attracting new, upwardly mobile types into our line of work is important in many localities. In the society we live in, many of the people we need to attract as new participants, as well as spectators (read supporters), value individuality, freedom of choice, and, yes, colorfulness. If all the diamond sports are to remain viable, we need to appeal to new blood. Like it or not, we are competing with every other diversion out there whenever we step onto the field.

I am not sure that I agree with your line of thinking here. When I first became an umpire, lo these many years ago, I was not an ex-military person, nor anything slightly akin to that. I had just left a lucrative job with the government and secured a comfortable teaching post. In short, I was one of these free thinking, professionals that you are talking of here. And yet, I am a stickler when it comes to following the uniform code to the letter, including the color of the ballbag...etc. I am also a stickler when it comes to the use of a prescribed set of signals to be used by all umpires. It is part of what being an umpire is.

Some of the new recruits in this area include a 30-something "techie" and a college student. Both also adhere to, and are learning to respect the "uniformity" of umpiring. In short, no matter what your background, military or private sector, liberal or conservative, white collar or blue collar, I believe that if you choose to be an umpire as your advocation, then you should embrace all aspects of being an umpire, which includes the proper uniform and signals.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.