The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
naso?

I heard nightmare stories for teams over on heybucket, so the claims were for teams and not umpires.

You've "heard stories"? Yeah, there is a viable source.

And actually, I was referring to the insurance company attempting to recoup any cost.

This is why signed waivers do not completely protect people from lawsuits. Even though they would still be protected by Bollinger as long as the original event was ASA sanctioned, some umpires will not continue working a game if it ends prematurely.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

heybucket is a forum, so the sources are anonymous. but, why would anyone lie?

I would like to know, since I decided to go with additional bollinger thru ASA for ncaa. I let naso expire and I have not yet renewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You've "heard stories"? Yeah, there is a viable source.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
heybucket is a forum, so the sources are anonymous. but, why would anyone lie?
Why would you cite unverified hearsay? Maybe they just want to bad mouth ASA. After all, you are referencing a PGF-centric location. Or maybe it isn't as much a lie as it is ignorance. As Steve noted, you know what is covered, you act as directed, no problem. As I noted, many people believe insurance companies exist to operate as the individual sees fit, and the contract really doesn't need to apply to them. Which is another epidemic in this country, discussion for another day.

IOW, people who are attempting to deflect blame or examples of their failure to act accordingly.

Quote:
I would like to know, since I decided to go with additional bollinger thru ASA for ncaa. I let naso expire and I have not yet renewed.
I assume you are referring to the ASA Sports Official policy. How much did the local association bump that number for you? Just curious, many consider this a money maker as opposed to a service for the umpire.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have personally filed two claims with Bollinger under my ASA umpire insurance (one relatively small, the other over $20k when it was all said an done)

In either case, I had little trouble with Bollinger. Yes, getting 'itemized' bill were a pain, but once I told the hospital what type of form I needed in the bills, it was a breeze.

I'll stand behind ASA's insurance as one of the best and convenient. Like any insurance claim, one needs to follow the instructions in the claim forms.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

I am just reflecting the hearsay. I have no experience to reference, so I can only work off of others.

I went w/ the additional bollinger already to cover HS and NCAA, so I did take it as rumors. the extra bollinger was a $25 bump up from reg ASA dues. I may still renew naso since the coverage is higher.

Quote:
Why would you cite unverified hearsay? Maybe they just want to bad mouth ASA. After all, you are referencing a PGF-centric location. Or maybe it isn't as much a lie as it is ignorance. As Steve noted, you know what is covered, you act as directed, no problem. As I noted, many people believe insurance companies exist to operate as the individual sees fit, and the contract really doesn't need to apply to them. Which is another epidemic in this country, discussion for another day.

IOW, people who are attempting to deflect blame or examples of their failure to act accordingly.

I assume you are referring to the ASA Sports Official policy. How much did the local association bump that number for you? Just curious, many consider this a money maker as opposed to a service for the umpire.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am just reflecting the hearsay. I have no experience to reference, so I can only work off of others.

I went w/ the additional bollinger already to cover HS and NCAA, so I did take it as rumors. the extra bollinger was a $25 bump up from reg ASA dues. I may still renew naso since the coverage is higher.
Not bad, they charged you cost
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have always been charged $25 for the extra bollinger.

are you saying that there are ASA regions that add a profit margin on top of the cost on its umpires?

Quote:
Not bad, they charged you cost
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

are you saying that there are ASA regions that add a profit margin on top of the cost on its umpires?
If you have always paid $25, you were bumped previously. The supplemental started at $20, increased to $22 several years ago. This is the first year at $25.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In some cases, yes. It used to be a joke in some areas of the Central Atlantic where a commissioner acted like he was doing you a favor by "allowing" you to get the insurance through his association when it would have been $5 cheaper to get it through your own local (assuming they were not padding the cost, also).

The key here is that you must register a minimum of 10 umpires to get the policy. In some areas, that just isn't something that is going to happen.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

We check hats and bats every game here. I've worked four games so far and found one bat with no ASA assignation and one catcher's helmet/mask that had several nuts and bolts missing. We still ask head coaches if players are properly equipped and require a verbal response. Better safe than sorry.