The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Need help on a ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/9694-need-help-ruling.html)

kimo Tue Aug 12, 2003 01:44pm

In a game last night, there was a runner on second and 1 out. The batter hit a single to left and the runner on second tried to score. The batters bat was on the ground in foul territory. As the play was made at home, the throw hit the bat and the closest runner was ruled out for obstruction(the runner trying to score)

Any feedback is welcome.

Jim

greymule Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:28pm

Bad call. A discarded bat is part of the field. Throw hits it, that's just too bad. I've seen it many times over the years.

Dakota Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:31pm

That was not the correct call. The correct call was live ball, play on.

ASA POE 17 says,
Quote:

<font color=blue>Official equipment which may be within playable territory with no penalty includes the batter's bat ... </font>
Think about it - is the defense allowed to throw the ball at the bat in order to get an out?

Dakota Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:36pm

BTW, Jim, Welcome to the board! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/...smiley-069.gif

kimo Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:37pm

need help on a ruling

Thank you- I know that my response to the umpire was not the most mature however when I asked him if I had no play and I chose to aim all subsequent throws at the discarded bat in order to get the out, I was ejected. In any case, we won and I appologized later even though I disagreed with the call.

Great site
Jim

greymule Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:37pm

One tipoff that the ump might never have read the rule book is that he called the runner out for <i>obstruction.</i>

Some umps assume that if something unfortunate happens, there must be a rule somewhere that makes things "right."

Incidentally, if all you did was pose that question to the ump, and if you didn't yell/scream/curse/make obscene gestures/etc., you should not have been ejected.

[Edited by greymule on Aug 12th, 2003 at 02:39 PM]

Panda Bear Tue Aug 12, 2003 03:34pm

I agree, wrong call. I can only assume the umpire felt the bat was discarded in a location designed to have a later effect on play. In the situation you described, can't imagine how that could be the case.

Had there been an earlier issue in the game, or recently in your area, of bats being dropped to conveniently impair the catcher, or something like that? That said, I hope any such problems are handled in a more straight-forward manner.

TruBlu Tue Aug 12, 2003 04:31pm

The bat is part of the ground. I had many coaches tell me I "have" to move a bat for many reasons (safety, etc). This is what my ASA commissioner told me at a State meeting: "Leave the damn bats alone!"

Skahtboi Tue Aug 12, 2003 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TruBlu
The bat is part of the ground. I had many coaches tell me I "have" to move a bat for many reasons (safety, etc). This is what my ASA commissioner told me at a State meeting: "Leave the damn bats alone!"
You move the bat and someone falls over it and hurts themselves, you will be on the recieving end of a lawsuit. Darn right, leave the bat and all other equipment alone!

whiskers_ump Tue Aug 12, 2003 07:18pm

Quote:

He's right. You are not the bat boy just as you are not
the grounds keeper....[i.e. coaches always wanting a batter's
box drawn....NO NO..]

glen

bluezebra Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:39am

"and the closest runner was ruled out for obstruction(the runner trying to score)"

How can a runner be out for obstruction? Obstruction is a DEFENSIVE infraction.

Bob

Bluefoot Wed Aug 13, 2003 08:19am

Regarding some of the latest posts in this thread, are you saying that as PU's we should never move a bat during a play? When possible and when it does not affect me getting into position to see/make calls, I have been moving it out of the way of possible baserunners coming home. So are you saying that it's better to avoid a possible lawsuit against me by not touching the bat at all, and leaving it wherever it is, even if it's right next to home plate and the runner may slide into it, trip over it, etc.? I've never thought about it that way. I've always thought about getting the bat out of the way for a possible play.

CecilOne Wed Aug 13, 2003 08:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bluefoot
Regarding some of the latest posts in this thread, are you saying that as PU's we should never move a bat during a play? When possible and when it does not affect me getting into position to see/make calls, I have been moving it out of the way of possible baserunners coming home. So are you saying that it's better to avoid a possible lawsuit against me by not touching the bat at all, and leaving it wherever it is, even if it's right next to home plate and the runner may slide into it, trip over it, etc.? I've never thought about it that way. I've always thought about getting the bat out of the way for a possible play.
whiskers_ump quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's right. You are not the bat boy just as you are not
the grounds keeper....[i.e. coaches always wanting a batter's
box drawn....NO NO..]

glen
Skahtboi quote:

You move the bat and someone falls over it and hurts themselves, you will be on the recieving end of a lawsuit. Darn right, leave the bat and all other equipment alone!
TruBlu The bat is part of the ground. I had many coaches tell me I "have" to move a bat for many reasons (safety, etc). This is what my ASA commissioner told me at a State meeting: "Leave the damn bats alone!"

Dakota Wed Aug 13, 2003 09:35am

Hey, Cecil... I think I finally got it... leave the damn bats alone! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/...smiley-018.gif

On a contrary note, however, I think we live in too much fear and trembling http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/...smiley-013.gif regarding lawsuits. http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/...smiley-040.gif

I may kick a bat back, but it would be more to get it out of MY way than to get it out of the play. You can sue for just about anything. That doesn't mean you will win. I can't imagine a real jury awarding damages because an umpire moved a bat (barring something really unusual, such as carelessly throwing the bat directly into a player's face).

We may as well also worry about showing favortism - after all, if we move the bat out of the way, we are ptoentially affecting the PLAY, aren't we? http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/...smiley-034.gif

Woodchuck Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:09pm

I agree leave the bat alone, that's what the ondeck batter should take care of. I instruct all of our umpires during clinics to leave the equipment alone and just call the game, that's what you are being paid to do.

Now to the question. In USSSA slo-pitch only the batters bat discarted in fair territory is considered part of the playing field, otherwise it is foreign and a dead ball. As is in most organizations rules the player being played on is out if in your judgement you had a chance to make a play (out), if not you send them back to base they had legally attained when the ball was declared dead.