The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Who Here North....

..of the Mason-Dixon Line is still working - even sporadically?
still working couple of games here and there - was at a local firehouse this morning for a pancake breakfast, and who was there? My assignor! And JUST as I about to tell him I was done, he asks me if I wanted to work a couple this afternoon....so that will give me about 10 for the month, so at $40 a pop net on each of them, not a bad September

I tell ya - it is almost highway robbery on some of this stuff, though. I have just started my volleyball season, and I work middle school matches there. Couple of years ago, the schools decided to save on bus trips at this level by making each match a double match of 3 sets each. So us officials get a nice fee of about $120 for each of these double matches Now, our volleyball groups covers a LOT of territory - 3 counties on the west bank of the Hudson, and one on the east; plus our group is fairly small for what we really need, so between last week and the first week of November, I have 15 of those double matches scheduled! :O pLus a couple of days of fall ball most likely...

no wonder I don't do any winter sports
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
..of the Mason-Dixon Line is still working - even sporadically?
still working couple of games here and there - was at a local firehouse this morning for a pancake breakfast, and who was there? My assignor! And JUST as I about to tell him I was done, he asks me if I wanted to work a couple this afternoon....so that will give me about 10 for the month, so at $40 a pop net on each of them, not a bad September
They are still playing around here, I'm just not umpiring. I'll work our association's fund-raiser next week, but that is it for the fall.
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Here in the Last Frontier our fastpitch season ended in July, my last fastpitch games were in Salem, OR at 18B Western Natl. I was invited to a fall tournament in Medford in October but doubt I can get time off from work to go.

Our slow pitch goes on a little longer, state tournaments mid/end August and usually a "Time for One More" coed tournament last weekend of August. There is a fall ball slow pitch league but it's all weeknights so I usually don't work any of it as my job gets in the way.
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

In Northern VA my last scheduled games for 2013 are the 1st weekend in November.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
In Northern VA my last scheduled games for 2013 are the 1st weekend in November.
Me too, Maryland.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I work a few games of NCAA fall ball. Last of those is October 5
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Me too, Maryland.
And if Maryland were North of the Mason-Dixon Line, that would be a noteworthy post Maybe you and Michael need to get a map and figure out where the line is. I think there was a slight tremor in Northern Va when Michael posted. It was the members of the CSA spinning in their grave!!!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 12:19pm.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 03:34pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And if Maryland were North of the Mason-Dixon Line, that would be a noteworthy post Maybe you and Michael need to get a map and figure out where the line is. I think there was a slight tremor in Northern Va when Michael posted. It was the members of the CSA spinning in their grave!!!
I've lived in NoVA for the last 15 years or so, and I always find it humorous that this is considered the South, the MDL notwithstanding. It's only been very recently, thanks mostly to McDonald's, that you can find sweet tea on a restaurant menu. And I STILL can't find a Bojangles or Waffle House around here.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

In upstate NY there are tournaments every weekend, and a local league has "Fall Ball" on Sunday. The Adirondack Sports Complex is full with a waiting list for Tournaments all Winter.

Last edited by xtremeump; Tue Oct 01, 2013 at 02:25pm.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I've lived in NoVA for the last 15 years or so, and I always find it humorous that this is considered the South, the MDL notwithstanding. It's only been very recently, thanks mostly to McDonald's, that you can find sweet tea on a restaurant menu. And I STILL can't find a Bojangles or Waffle House around here.
What does lousy food have to do with North/South?

Then again, metropolitan and surrounding areas like the district and Atlanta don't really count due to all the carpetbaggers that moved there
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Because the state of NOVA (Fairfax, Arlington and now Loudoun counties) is not the South; ROVA (the "Rest of VA" as they say) is the South. Just point your car west on 66 and there is plenty of sweet tea. When speaking of my upbringing, I say "I'm from Northern VA . . . the green side."

And as to answer the OP, Fall ball this weekend and next weekend.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

In England we've got tourneys up through end of October
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Michigan

Still working some NCAA fall ball and there are a few Showcase weekends for the travel teams.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post
In England we've got tourneys up through end of October
Well, you certainly qualify as North of the Mason-Dixon Line
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, if we are going to be too anal for a common figure of speech, those from England, Michigan and Minnesota are not north of the MDL either, because it does not extend that far.

I guess we will have to settle for 37 degrees N. Is that ok with ASA/NYSSOBLUE and MichaelVA2000 ?