The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Preferred plate adjustment when blocked in the slot?

College showcase tournament: Last weekend, one of my teams was 50% right-handed slapper/drag bunt hitters. They started in the back of the RH box and crowded the plate. Combined with a pitcher that liked throwing inside, I could not get comfortable behind the dish.

I ended up setting up higher and closer to the catcher than usual and stayed in the slot as best I could. (This is what I was taught years ago. Not sure if this is universal or ASA being ASA.) I was not happy with the consistency of my zone, and I lost my feel for both low strikes and the outside corner. I also had trouble picking up the pitch off the pitcher's hand.

I've been away from the game for 2+ years due to family commitments. Nowadays, what is the preferred mechanic in this case? Does it depend on which alphabet you're working for on a given game?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
College showcase tournament: Last weekend, one of my teams was 50% right-handed slapper/drag bunt hitters. They started in the back of the RH box and crowded the plate. Combined with a pitcher that liked throwing inside, I could not get comfortable behind the dish.

I ended up setting up higher and closer to the catcher than usual and stayed in the slot as best I could. (This is what I was taught years ago. Not sure if this is universal or ASA being ASA.) I was not happy with the consistency of my zone, and I lost my feel for both low strikes and the outside corner. I also had trouble picking up the pitch off the pitcher's hand.

I've been away from the game for 2+ years due to family commitments. Nowadays, what is the preferred mechanic in this case? Does it depend on which alphabet you're working for on a given game?
I don't think there is a hard and fast preference, because each slot problem is different (height if batter, height of catcher, are batter's hands high or low, how far over the plate, is catcher adjusting to the batter stance, etc.).
I can usually find some opening, but it varies.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know that there is a "preferred" method. I have found that working a little higher and a bit further back from the catcher seem to work in most cases.

I have also moved a bit to my right on a RHB that is crowding the plate.

I do understand what you are saying about not being comfortable and feeling like you are losing part of the zone. I have determined that if I have to make a major adjustment due to the position of the catcher and/or batter, whichever one is causing the adjustment does not get the benefit of the doubt on a close pitch.....
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, other than the fact it is impossible to drag bunt from the right side , sounds like you did what you needed to make the call. Make sure the batter is in the box. If not, back her off the plate. If the catcher insists on hanging in the slot and you cannot work a good look, go up and do the best you can. There is little doubt you will lose some of your judgment, especially on the bottom of the zone.

Unfortunately, it is what it is and you cannot call strikes you cannot see.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

If you are blocked in the slot, then get outa the slot.

I go right over top of the catcher. I'll go from a scissors in the slot to a gerry davis right over the top. You might not be able to get the same look on the low pitch you are accustomed to seeing, but at least you can see a pitch to call. Or you can stay where you are for whatever reason and guess.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, other than the fact it is impossible to drag bunt from the right side
Interesting point of view, Irish. What *would* you call a RH batter running forward with the pitch and attempting a bunt on the run (without slapping or breaking the wrists with a swing)?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting point of view, Irish. What *would* you call a RH batter running forward with the pitch and attempting a bunt on the run (without slapping or breaking the wrists with a swing)?
Push bunt. But that's me.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A LH batter "drags" the ball behind her; there is no way for a RH batter to do that (unless they run to third base!!). That would be a push bunt, as the batter "pushes" the ball in front of her.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 08:52pm.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not really a point of view, the name is the description of the act. The "drag bunt" is the act of the LH batter stepping toward the right-front of the box and pulling or dragging the ball with them down the 1st line. It is more prevalent in baseball with a LH pitcher and a runner on 1B.

Because it gives the BR a walking start like on a slap, it allows for the possibility of the BR staying ahead of the ball and hopefully force a throw to 1B instead of an easy tag.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I guess I learned two things for the price of one. We'll see if I can find a better view if I get blocked again this weekend.
Old Sat Sep 28, 2013, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I guess I learned two things for the price of one. We'll see if I can find a better view if I get blocked again this weekend.
Maybe not working behind the dish gave you the feeling of inconsistency ? It sounds like you had a good time and it's great that you are going back this weekend. The players have changed a little in the last couple of years.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Sep 28, 2013 at 03:36pm. Reason: unnecessary
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In my experience, most clinics ASA/NFHS/NCAA are teaching umpires to set a little higher when they are blocked out in the slot. I will set up a little more behind the catcher and high enough to see through the strike zone; I work the glove as well.

Most batters who drag bunt or slap do it from the left hand batters box (for clarity, to the umpires right). As the other guys have stated, the act of drag bunting is achieved by moving forward through the batters box and bunting the ball. After talking with some coaches, they have stated that the bat can be in front or behind the batter, although it is typically trailing the batter and dragging it through the zone.

Good Luck!