The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Warm up pitch?

This happened over the weekend. I think this was debated a few years back (but then again what hasn't been? ), but I can't find it. USSSA game, but all rule interps are welcome.

Mary has been pitching for 3 innings. In the middle of the 4th, Sally comes out to the circle, picks up the ball, and throws a warm up pitch. Coach then tells Sally to go to right field and for Mary to throw the remaining warm ups. No substitution was ever reported/made. Any violation?

My partner said there is a slow pitch rule that would require Sally to pitch to at least one batter after throwing the warm up. I felt there was no fast pitch rule to support that interpretation, especially during the dead ball situation with no substitution made.

USSSA 6-1-L and Fed 6-2-5 mirror each other in addressing warm up pitches, but I don't feel either specifically indicate who is entitled to throw them. NCAA 10.19.3 is quite clear about a warning, then penalty (coach ejection) when this happens. But even they don't state that the non-pitcher who throws the warm up must now become the pitcher.

What do you think?

Last edited by Little Jimmy; Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 07:21pm. Reason: prefer to use user name
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

It's a kid tossing a softball between innings. Nothing more.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
This happened over the weekend. I think this was debated a few years back (but then again what hasn't been? ), but I can't find it. USSSA game, but all rule interps are welcome.

Mary has been pitching for 3 innings. In the middle of the 4th, Sally comes out to the circle, picks up the ball, and throws a warm up pitch. Coach then tells Sally to go to right field and for Mary to throw the remaining warm ups. No substitution was ever reported/made. Any violation?

My partner said there is a slow pitch rule that would require Sally to pitch to at least one batter after throwing the warm up. I felt there was no fast pitch rule to support that interpretation, especially during the dead ball situation with no substitution made.

USSSA 6-1-L and Fed 6-2-5 mirror each other in addressing warm up pitches, but I don't feel either specifically indicate who is entitled to throw them. NCAA 10.19.3 is quite clear about a warning, then penalty (coach ejection) when this happens. But even they don't state that the non-pitcher who throws the warm up must now become the pitcher.

What do you think?
It's not clear (to me) from your post.....bolded part, was this Sally's first time in the game?
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you think?
Speaking ASA

No issue. The pitcher is whomever the coach tells to go pitch.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

In ASA, warm-ups are nothing wrt this rule. I believe that in LL if you step on the pitcher's plate and throw a warmup pitch, you are the next pitcher. But I'm not positive on that. I think FED baseball is the same.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
In ASA, warm-ups are nothing wrt this rule. I believe that in LL if you step on the pitcher's plate and throw a warmup pitch, you are the next pitcher. But I'm not positive on that. I think FED baseball is the same.
For LL or Fed BB, you are correct.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 10:47am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
For LL or Fed BB, you are correct.
And the rule behind this is the unreported/unannounced substitution rule. In LL (and I assume Fed BB), an unreported/unannounced substitution of the pitcher takes place when the player throws one warm-up pitch from the pitcher's plate.

So you really need to look at when a player becomes an unreported/unannounced substitute of the pitcher in softball. For example, Fed Softball rule 3-3-3-b and -e says a player becomes an unannounced substitute for the pitcher when she takes her place on the pitcher's plate AND the plate umpire declares the ball live. Delivering warm-ups has nothing to do with it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

KJ, Sally was already in the game as a right fielder. She simply picked up the ball and threw a warm up. Maybe she thought she was going to be put in as pitcher, but no substitution was made.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
KJ, Sally was already in the game as a right fielder. She simply picked up the ball and threw a warm up. Maybe she thought she was going to be put in as pitcher, but no substitution was made.
In ASA, NFHS, and NCAA; all I have is someone used up one of the 5 allowed warmup pitches.