The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Phoenix, we are hosting the 18a Western National this weekend. During our umpires meeting earlier this week, our metro UIC proposed this situation:

Team A using DP/DEFO with the DEFO being the pitcher. DP bats and reaches first base safely. Coach A requests that the DEFO replace the DP on first base. Legal substitution, no problem. Coach A then states that he wants to use a courtesy runner for his pitcher who is now on first base. Do you allow this?

Evidently, an official interpretation has been issued on this situation by Merle Butler and Henry Pollard on the ASA NUS.

I'd like to hear what you all think about this.

Mike - please don't comment if you have received the official interpretation. Thanks.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Andy,

I think we had this discussion a little earlier this year, and the consensus was that a courtesy runner would be allowed in this situation.

SamC
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

runner

I think the answer should be that a courtsey runner is not allowed in this situation, as it's defeating the purpose of the courtsey runner rule.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Both responses seem correct. Technically, the CR is probably allowed (i.e., not prohibited), but it certainly violates the spirit of the rule and I would hope the interpretation is no.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wink 8.9 C

Dont know if it would hold up on protest BUT 8.9 C states only those player listed on the line up as catcher or pitcher can be courtesy run for. So if the pitcher in the last inning was playing under DEFO in the line-up she would not be eligible for a courtesy runner

JMO

Don
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

OK Mike, here is another candidate for ASA rules clarification!
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Here in Phoenix, we are hosting the 18a Western National this weekend. During our umpires meeting earlier this week, our metro UIC proposed this situation:

Team A using DP/DEFO with the DEFO being the pitcher. DP bats and reaches first base safely. Coach A requests that the DEFO replace the DP on first base. Legal substitution, no problem. Coach A then states that he wants to use a courtesy runner for his pitcher who is now on first base. Do you allow this?

Evidently, an official interpretation has been issued on this situation by Merle Butler and Henry Pollard on the ASA NUS.

I'd like to hear what you all think about this.

Mike - please don't comment if you have received the official interpretation. Thanks.
Actually, I have something in print. Let me know when I'm allowed to chime in.

Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

CHIME CHIME CHIME!!
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know that I have seen the same docu that Mike has, but from a Fed standpoint - remember that Pa used it this past year & everyone will beginning with 2004 - this would not be legal. The CR is for the person who last played F1/F2, with the provision that in the top of the first inning, the "pitcher/catcher" of record would be the person who's name was listed on the lineup.

Steve M
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
CHIME CHIME CHIME!!
Andy's post,
Andy's request,
Andy's decision.

May I?
Old Sun Aug 03, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
CHIME CHIME CHIME!!
Andy's post,
Andy's request,
Andy's decision.

May I?
I'm looking forward to the "chime, as long as you agree with me!
I say not allowed, to be consistent with not allowing a CR for a pitcher re-entering after a pinch hitter and because it violates the spirit of the rule. OTOH, if this happened on the field, I would not be able to think of a prohibition in the book and probably would have allowed it.
Most CR use is just to get in a pinch runner for a slow pitcher or catcher, so maybe this doen't violatethe spirit any more than usual.
Probably need clarification in next year's book.

[Edited by CecilOne on Aug 3rd, 2003 at 11:05 AM]
Old Sun Aug 03, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

TAP: "as it's defeating the purpose of the courtsey runner rule."

C1: " because it violates the spirit of the rule. Most CR use is just to get in a pinch runner for a slow pitcher or catcher,"

The CR is a speed up rule! It is available only for the catcher and pitcher - to get them off the bases and ready for the next inning. Most H.S. coaches will at least get their catcher off the bases, especially when there are two out.

Thus I can not see where allowing a CR in this situation would be a violation of the intent or spirit of the rule; it actually supports the CR rule.

After the first inning, the pitcher is identified as the last player to play that position defensively. So if slow Nellie gets on base, you can not say she is going in to pitch in the bottom of the inning and send a CR in for her. But is this case, the pitcher has been established, and is now legally on base - so if it was my call - I would say legal.

So - when does Mike "chime" in?

WMB
Old Sun Aug 03, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I know it's intended as a speedup and for protection or rest of the P or C. I didn't say it was intended as a pinch runner rule, just that most use (or at least use that I see) is getting in a pinch runner without a sub. This is especially since the rule was change to allow CR with less than 2 outs.

Also, if the pitcher or catcher is the DEFO, that is a batting order position and there is still a field position on the lineup that says "P", "C", "1" or "2".
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

The official interpretaion is that a courtesy runner is not allowed in this situation.

The rationale is that the spirit and intent of the courtesy runner rule is for the pitcher and/or catcher to be able to rest after they have batted and reached base. In the scenario presented the pitcher did not bat and is not entitled to a courtesy runner.

It was felt, that in this situation, a coach is only trying to get a faster runner in the game without using up a substitution.

When the question was posed to me, my intial response was to allow it. I did not like that answer, but could not think of any ruling to disallow the courtesy runner in this situation.

Mike - Is this the same interp you have? I'm also interested to hear your opinion.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
The official interpretaion is that a courtesy runner is not allowed in this situation.

The rationale is that the spirit and intent of the courtesy runner rule is for the pitcher and/or catcher to be able to rest after they have batted and reached base. In the scenario presented the pitcher did not bat and is not entitled to a courtesy runner.

It was felt, that in this situation, a coach is only trying to get a faster runner in the game without using up a substitution.

When the question was posed to me, my intial response was to allow it. I did not like that answer, but could not think of any ruling to disallow the courtesy runner in this situation.

Mike - Is this the same interp you have? I'm also interested to hear your opinion.
I don't believe this needs an "official" interpretation as it is clearly stated (at least in my mind) in the rule book.

Rule 10.E states that the courtesy runner is not permitted to run as a courtesy runner for the DP if the DP is batting for the pitcher or catcher.

Rule 10.B notes who is considered the pitcher and catcher in the bottom half of the first inning. It goes on to state:
"Thereafter, the pitcher and catcher are identified as the last players who physically played that position on defense. If a substitute enters in the following half inning and gets on base (DP in this case) should the pitcher or catcher (DEFO) reenter, no courtesy runner can be utulized for the pitcher or catcher that half inning".

The 2003 ASA Clinic guide basically says the same thing in simpler terms.