The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

outside protector

I'm having issues with heat exhaustion down here working the plate with an inside protector. I have a very difficult time exhausting heat and sweat away from my body and it creates a real problem. Years ago back north I used an outside protector for many seasons of baseball and some softball. I was quite comfortable with it, it never hindered my work behind the plate. I'm seriously thinking of buying one for next year. My question here is there anyone that uses one or knows of someone using one?
I love working the plate and think it will keep me in the game to use one. What do you think?
I should add that I am currently only calling FHSAA high school ball during the regular season, no more play-offs or "big" games. 74 years old and umpiring since 1958, near the end of my career.

Last edited by SWFLguy; Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 08:51pm.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Dear sir, not trying to be unsimpathetic but I believe you need to tell your assigner you can't accept games when it's very hot. Do not buy an outside protector. That's only my 2 cents however.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
Dear sir, not trying to be unsimpathetic but I believe you need to tell your assigner you can't accept games when it's very hot. Do not buy an outside protector. That's only my 2 cents however.

With all due respect Chuck, your two cents isn't worth even one cent. I am almost 61 and MTD, Jr., is 23, and we bought "ballons" for use during summer fast pitch tournaments for the following reason: The FP tournaments in our area are played under the following time constraints: A game lasts 1:20 and a new game starts every 1:30. That means a crew has only ten minutes to change from Plate Gear to Base Gear and vice versa. If you are like Mark, Jr., and I that means changing in or out of full Plate Gear which really cannot be done in 10 minutes and when it is very hot, it means that one does not really have a time to take a break between games.

Using a "ballon" allows us to wear Combo Pants and all we have to do is change between Plate and Base shoes and shin guards.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
I'm having issues with heat exhaustion down here working the plate with an inside protector. I have a very difficult time exhausting heat and sweat away from my body and it creates a real problem. Years ago back north I used an outside protector for many seasons of baseball and some softball. I was quite comfortable with it, it never hindered my work behind the plate. I'm seriously thinking of buying one for next year. My question here is there anyone that uses one or knows of someone using one?
I love working the plate and think it will keep me in the game to use one. What do you think?
I should add that I am currently only calling FHSAA high school ball during the regular season, no more play-offs or "big" games. 74 years old and umpiring since 1958, near the end of my career.
The last time I used a balloon was five years ago, when I worked a lot of summer rec league baseball and softball. I used it for two reasons... the one Mark already gave and also because the ability level of the players was very low. The pitchers had a hard time throwing strikes and the catchers were happy to let the umpires serve as a backstop. It was difficult for me to get into the slot, and I found myself working more "over the top." Other than that, I had no issues at all.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
With all due respect Chuck, your two cents isn't worth even one cent. I am almost 61 and MTD, Jr., is 23, and we bought "ballons" for use during summer fast pitch tournaments for the following reason: The FP tournaments in our area are played under the following time constraints: A game lasts 1:20 and a new game starts every 1:30. That means a crew has only ten minutes to change from Plate Gear to Base Gear and vice versa. If you are like Mark, Jr., and I that means changing in or out of full Plate Gear which really cannot be done in 10 minutes and when it is very hot, it means that one does not really have a time to take a break between games.

Using a "ballon" allows us to wear Combo Pants and all we have to do is change between Plate and Base shoes and shin guards.

MTD, Sr.
Considering time constraints, it is what it is but take the time necessary to change your gear, the next game will wait for you and most times you'll catch up the schedule due to other reasons by the end of the day. BUT...Hard to believe that taking your shirt off, adding a protector and putting your shirt back on takes more than 2 minutes but the bigger issue is schedulers that wanna cram in games every 1'30" and expect things to run like a German train schedule all day...with no consideration for the umpire crew in the least. I'm not in favor of the "ballon", but to each his own I guess.

What's next, stand behind the pitcher to call balls and strikes because its too hot to suit up? Stay hydrated, use sunscreen, find shade between innings, use ice towels, etc. be prepared for the heat!
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
If you think an outside protector would make the difference and allow you more games and more enjoyment; then of course that is the way to go.

I don't know anything about outer ones, have not used a balloon since LL in 1984, so no tech help here.

With only 27 years SB plus 5 LL, I really admire your 55 years, congratulations.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
I don't usually disagree with you, but ...

That is a common time constraint, although I just saw one with 1:20/1:45 to allow for inning finishing and ties.
Anyway, doesn't the finishing BU wait for the changing PU and start the next game?
And like Rob said, shirt/CP is the quickest part of the change.

Also, what is the relationship of combo pants to CP? I still would change pants to fresh ones and remove the cup/supporter.

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 09:01am.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 08:51am
Archaic Power Monger

One thing that has helped me quite a bit are the Endurance Pads from Rite Temp. Unfortunately the company went out of business so they aren't being made any more but if you can find some, they are worth every penny.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 09:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Considering time constraints, it is what it is but take the time necessary to change your gear, the next game will wait for you and most times you'll catch up the schedule due to other reasons by the end of the day. BUT...Hard to believe that taking your shirt off, adding a protector and putting your shirt back on takes more than 2 minutes but the bigger issue is schedulers that wanna cram in games every 1'30" and expect things to run like a German train schedule all day...with no consideration for the umpire crew in the least. I'm not in favor of the "ballon", but to each his own I guess.

What's next, stand behind the pitcher to call balls and strikes because its too hot to suit up? Stay hydrated, use sunscreen, find shade between innings, use ice towels, etc. be prepared for the heat!

1) Tournament Directors here in the Toledo Area do NOT want games starting after their scheduled time: Games WILL start on time! You do not know how often coaches complain because we have started the game 5 minutes, , late because we have taken an extra 5 minutes to rest between games.

Just this past Saturday afternoon, all of the morning games were wiped out because of heavy rain the night before. And the diamond to which we were assigned started 10 minutes later than the rest of the games because the 2B area still wasn't ready. The HC and parents of one of the teams in our 3rd game of the day complained that it was our fault that their game was late because of field conditions.

And two weeks ago at a baseball tournament, Junior and I had a HC complain that we didn't start his game immediately after our 3rd game in a row because we took a break and changed gear while the grounds crew ready the field for our next game. Yes, we were behind schedule but that happens when the entire weekend was pummeled with thunderstorms all day and all night long. The shocking thing was about this HC was he and his team was from Canada and Canadians are usually the most polite people there are in tournaments. I was behind the plate for his game and ran him in the top of the 2nd for pulling an Earl Weaver over a balk we called on his pitcher; his Pitcher stopped twice while pitching from the Set Position.

2a) Plate Gear is more than a Chest Protector; it is also Shin Guards and Plate Shoes, as well as a Mask and a Breathing Apparatus (10 bonus points and a Cuban cigar for all who know what a Breathing Apparatus is, ).

2b) Don't forget that during that 10 minute time period between the end of one game and the start of the next game is when the Umpires meet with the HCs, exchange Lineup Cards, go over Ground Rules, and flip the coin for Home and Away.

3) What shade between innings? I have never been on a softball diamond that has shade for the umpires between innings let alone shade for the players.

4) MTD, Jr., and I would not consider going behind the Pitcher to call Balls and Strikes, but we do take the proper precautions to stay hydrated. We each take an insulated jug of ice and water onto the diamond with us. We drink between half innings and keep a small towel in the jugs to use to wring water over our heads and into our hats between innings. We know how to take care of ourselves.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Anyway, doesn't the finishing BU wait for the changing PU and start the next game?
Um ... exactly how would that work since both have to change?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I think Cecil is used to working the way we do around here, three people on a field in these cases, in a two on one off format. In this weather, four to a field is not unusual, working a one on one off format.

Sounds like that is what needs to be considered for use up there, especially if the coaches and TD's are so anal about their time constraints. We never have those issues here because a crew is always ready to take the field as soon as the previous crew walks off of it.

If this is league, with just a couple to three games, even in the heat, another idea is for the plate umpire to work two consecutive games, and only change for a third game if one exists.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 10:18am.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Yes, sorry, as said, thinking 3 ump rotation.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) Tournament Directors here in the Toledo Area do NOT want games starting after their scheduled time: Games WILL start on time! You do not know how often coaches complain because we have started the game 5 minutes, , late because we have taken an extra 5 minutes to rest between games.

Just this past Saturday afternoon, all of the morning games were wiped out because of heavy rain the night before. And the diamond to which we were assigned started 10 minutes later than the rest of the games because the 2B area still wasn't ready. The HC and parents of one of the teams in our 3rd game of the day complained that it was our fault that their game was late because of field conditions.

And two weeks ago at a baseball tournament, Junior and I had a HC complain that we didn't start his game immediately after our 3rd game in a row because we took a break and changed gear while the grounds crew ready the field for our next game. Yes, we were behind schedule but that happens when the entire weekend was pummeled with thunderstorms all day and all night long. The shocking thing was about this HC was he and his team was from Canada and Canadians are usually the most polite people there are in tournaments. I was behind the plate for his game and ran him in the top of the 2nd for pulling an Earl Weaver over a balk we called on his pitcher; his Pitcher stopped twice while pitching from the Set Position.

2a) Plate Gear is more than a Chest Protector; it is also Shin Guards and Plate Shoes, as well as a Mask and a Breathing Apparatus (10 bonus points and a Cuban cigar for all who know what a Breathing Apparatus is, ).

2b) Don't forget that during that 10 minute time period between the end of one game and the start of the next game is when the Umpires meet with the HCs, exchange Lineup Cards, go over Ground Rules, and flip the coin for Home and Away.

3) What shade between innings? I have never been on a softball diamond that has shade for the umpires between innings let alone shade for the players.

4) MTD, Jr., and I would not consider going behind the Pitcher to call Balls and Strikes, but we do take the proper precautions to stay hydrated. We each take an insulated jug of ice and water onto the diamond with us. We drink between half innings and keep a small towel in the jugs to use to wring water over our heads and into our hats between innings. We know how to take care of ourselves.

MTD, Sr.
Looks like you have bigger problems than CP.

Nobody wants to start late, but someone needs to manage the problem.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can get all of the opinions you want here, but the only thing that really matters is your assignor there in FL. If s/he is OK with it, go for it.

We have a HS SB umpire here in AZ that uses the outside protector. He is an older gentleman that wants to stay in the game, but had a colostomy several years ago. He does not feel adequately protected with an inside protector, so he asked permission to use the balloon and the state association agreed.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2013, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Yes, RiteTemp Athletics is out of business, but I found another product that I think is better.

About three weeks ago, I bought a chiller vest from GlacierTek Concealable Cooling Vest

What I read about RiteTemp is that the cooling would only last 4 or 5 innings requiring a quick change out mid-game.

The GlacierTek cooling elements will stay 59 degrees for 2.5 hours in 100 degree temps. The cooling elements are "charged" in ice water in a cooler for 20 minutes. Re-charging is same.

Simply, it works great.
Your core temp is reduced by 10%, along with your heart rate reduced about the same. It does not fool you into thinking it is cooler outside, but your perspiration is reduced by about 99%.

Case in point:
I was scheduled for plates at 9:30am, 3:30pm and 6:30pm.
I didn't use the vest for the 9:30am game as it was relatively mild. But that didn't stop me from working up a decent sweat. Changed pants and shirt for base game at 11:15.

We were at a nice complex where the umpires had access to a conference room that was roomy and air-conditioned.

When getting ready for 3:30 game, even though the 9:30 pants had been hanging in the A/C for 3 hours, they were still noticeably damp. So, I pulled out a fresh pair.

At the end of the 3:30 game, the pants that I just wore were bone dry, and definitely drier than the 9:30 pants.

The vest seems a bit bulky at first and it weighs nearly 5 pounds, but you will not be bothered by that. I haven't used it for a base game yet because it would be very noticeable - would look like you had a chest protector on. But if the temps get high enough (100+), I will not hesitate to use the product on bases.

Side benefit that I did not realize until this past weekend.
Since your core temp has been reduced for the 90 +/- minutes, it takes a while for it to rise back up. So, for the first 30 minutes or so of the base game, you are still feeling pretty comfortable. I still use my frog togg for the base game, and able to use the same pair of pants back-to-back and remain bone dry.